The 3rd-gen Toyota Tacoma thread (mid-cycle refresh)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Powertrain upgrades... always Toyota's strong suit when it comes to enthusiasts. [/sarcasm]

Really, the next gen of GR/TRD/TRD PRO products need to come packing more ponies. Straight up. In the age of forced induction and electrification, it's easier than it has ever been.
They did just upgrade the Hilux GR Sport to 165kW/550N.m for the 2.8L 1GD-FTV diesel. Just three years ago that engine only made 131kW/450N.m. They had to "un-detune" the engine twice because of a diesel arms race with Ford Ranger, which is genuinely threatening their dominance. When there is very fierce competition they have to act, but if there isn't any they just detune the engine heavily out of factory, like how the 1VD V8 is detuned by almost 50% in the LC70.

Next-gen Hilux will come with a twin-turbo 2.8L I4. I don't know if that's the engine that will end up in the GR Hilux. There's also the rumor they will go straight to a F33 as a response to Ranger Raptor upgrading to a 3.0V6. We are also hearing the F33 going into Fortuner and LCP.

As for non-diesel markets, I am not holding my hopes up for a V35 Tacoma/4Runner/LCP. At best it will have a T24 hybrid which they will deem 'good enough'. It seems outside of NA they always aim to overmatch the competition while TMNA more operates with 'if customers don't ask for it we don't do it' attitude.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
They did just upgrade the Hilux GR Sport to 165kW/550N.m for the 2.8L 1GD-FTV diesel. Just three years ago that engine only made 131kW/450N.m. They had to "un-detune" the engine twice because of a diesel arms race with Ford Ranger, which is genuinely threatening their dominance. When there is very fierce competition they have to act, but if there isn't any they just detune the engine heavily out of factory, like how the 1VD V8 is detuned by almost 50% in the LC70.

Next-gen Hilux will come with a twin-turbo 2.8L I4. I don't know if that's the engine that will end up in the GR Hilux. There's also the rumor they will go straight to a F33 as a response to Ranger Raptor upgrading to a 3.0V6. We are also hearing the F33 going into Fortuner and LCP.

As for non-diesel markets, I am not holding my hopes up for a V35 Tacoma/4Runner/LCP. At best it will have a T24 hybrid which they will deem 'good enough'. It seems outside of NA they always aim to overmatch the competition while TMNA more operates with 'if customers don't ask for it we don't do it' attitude.

I think a lot of that is going to come down to tow rating for USA. If the T24A or "500h" powertrains can tow 6k+ lbs, then I think most 4Runner/Tacoma owners will be OK with it. If not, Toyota might have to level up and offer V35A to keep that customer. The 1GR-FE especially is so outdated now that even T24A + 8AT would feel like a performance vehicle in comparison, especially if Toyota is able to trim substantial weight from the platform like they did for the Tundra, LX and Land Cruiser.

I am thinking the 4Runner may get the optional Tundra SR tune of the V35A with 348hp/409lb-ft, which is what I am assuming "GX 550" will also come with standard (to leave some breathing room for the LX 600).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I think a lot of that is going to come down to tow rating for USA. If the T24A or "500h" powertrains can tow 6k+ lbs, then I think most 4Runner/Tacoma owners will be OK with it. If not, Toyota might have to level up and offer V35A to keep that customer. The 1GR-FE especially is so outdated now that even T24A + 8AT would feel like a performance vehicle in comparison, especially if Toyota is able to trim substantial weight from the platform like they did for the Tundra, LX and Land Cruiser.

I am thinking the 4Runner may get the optional Tundra SR tune of the V35A with 348hp/409lb-ft, which is what I am assuming "GX 550" will also come with standard (to leave some breathing room for the LX 600).
All but confirmed at this point the GX is launching with the SR tune.

Creature of habit Toyota:
last gen LS launched with an all new 4.6
last gen LX/LC launched with an all new 5.7
last gen Tundra launched with an all new 4.6/5.7
Current gen GX comes to market with the 4.6

The tacoma and 4R are the wild cards this time around. The only addition is that they have EV models ready to launch in quick succession.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think T24A is the obvious choice for a core engine -- not a wild card. What else would they use in North America?
@Gecko

You have the
TT 3.5L
TT 3.5L hybrid
TT 3.5L plugin

TT 2.4L
TT 2.4L hybrid
TT 2.4L plugin

That's all what the BOF got in the foreseeable future

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
IMO, there’s a good chance the T24 becomes the only engine on the 4Runner/Tacoma, available in hybrid or non-hybrid. I think there should be a V6 option, so I hope I’m wrong, but given Toyota’s moves lately, it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think anything that currently has a GR engine will likely end up with the T24 either standard or as an upgrade. The T24 is the GR replacement, IMO.

It’ll be interesting to see what Toyota uses to replace the gas 2.7 in the Hilux/Fortuner. I don’t really see a hybrid Hilux happening, so maybe we will see the M25 offered, or two different tunes of the T24 with a lower output (225hp or so) being offered in Southeast Asia, South America, and Africa.

Reactions
I don't think core 4Runner and Tacoma buyers want a 4-cylinder in NA.

People can tolerate and respect a 6-cylinder as a substitution for a V8, because a 6-cylinder engine has the potential to have guts. We've seen that the V35A-FTS is a very potent engine and can hold its own against the competition. Despite how good the V35A-FTS is though, we have a lot of buyers who are disappointed at the lack of a new V8 in the new Tundra.

I haven't seen any 4-cylinder that has guts with the exception of Mercedes-AMG's M139, BMW's B48, VW's EA888, and the 2.0L 4-cylinder in the Giulia. I don't think Toyota is going to make the T24A-FTS perform like those four (and we can assume that it is already going to be laggier than the competition's 4-cylinders), and out of those four engines, the B48 and the EA888 are the best in terms of durability and feel. I still haven't even mentioned the fact that bar a few engines, 4-cylinders unanimously sound bad.

I feel like we're going to see the same problem that some buyers have with the new Tundra albeit worse because how most buyers arguably dislike 4-cylinders. The hybrid system can refine things a bit and help with performance, but I think the 348/389/409 horsepower V6 would be much more valued by buyers. Have the T24A-FTS + hybrid as an option, but not as the only choice.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think core 4Runner and Tacoma buyers want a 4-cylinder in NA.

People can tolerate and respect a 6-cylinder as a substitution for a V8, because a 6-cylinder engine has the potential to have guts. We've seen that the V35A-FTS is a very potent engine and can hold its own against the competition. Despite how good the V35A-FTS is though, we have a lot of buyers who are disappointed at the lack of a new V8 in the new Tundra.

I haven't seen any 4-cylinder that has guts with the exception of Mercedes-AMG's M139, BMW's B48, VW's EA888, and the 2.0L 4-cylinder in the Giulia. I don't think Toyota is going to make the T24A-FTS perform like those four (and we can assume that it is already going to be laggier than the competition's 4-cylinders), and out of those four engines, the B48 and the EA888 are the best in terms of durability and feel. I still haven't even mentioned the fact that bar a few engines, 4-cylinders unanimously sound bad.

I feel like we're going to see the same problem that some buyers have with the new Tundra albeit worse because how most buyers arguably dislike 4-cylinders. The hybrid system can refine things a bit and help with performance, but I think the 348/389/409 horsepower V6 would be much more valued by buyers. Have the T24A-FTS + hybrid as an option, but not as the only choice.
Toyota BOF buyers are next level.

They apparently analyzed and broke down the superbowl tundra ads and found out that Toyota PR messed up big time.
5th wheel in a half ton is illegal and was a product of a photoshop or illegal stunt (at least that was the conclusion).

Reactions
Toyota BOF buyers are next level.

They apparently analyzed and broke down the superbowl tundra ads and found out that Toyota PR messed up big time.
5th wheel in a half ton is illegal and was a product of a photoshop or illegal stunt (at least that was the conclusion).

I'm really confused. Can you elaborate? What 5th wheel? You mean the wheel that goes under the truck bed?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 2TR-FE does not need a replacement. It's simple, torquey, efficient, can run on LPG or E85 and has a huge supply chain of spare parts of maintenance in markets it's sold in.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I'm really confused. Can you elaborate? What 5th wheel? You mean the wheel that goes under the truck bed?

To keep it simple:
5th wheel:

iu

Intended purpose:

iu

Levi

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko

You have the
TT 3.5L
TT 3.5L hybrid
TT 3.5L plugin

TT 2.4L
TT 2.4L hybrid
TT 2.4L plugin

That's all what the BOF got in the foreseeable future
There are no announced plug-in versions for TT I4 and V6 engines. I don't even know if there will.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

-3.0-liter V-6 engine, making 392 horsepower and 430 pound-feet.
-A 10-speed automatic transmission
-Four-wheel drive are standard, as is a two-speed transfer case and front and rear locking differentials.

iu

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions

-3.0-liter V-6 engine, making 392 horsepower and 430 pound-feet.
-A 10-speed automatic transmission
-Four-wheel drive are standard, as is a two-speed transfer case and front and rear locking differentials.
That’s why I think Toyota needs to up their game on the next TRD Pro Tacoma/4Runner. They need a TT V6 to compete with Ford.