5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
Hard to say about this car until one views in the flesh.Not a fan of the extra long wheelbase(as a previous LS400 and current LS 430 owner).This will be the single most thing that will stop me from buying it.In general I think it's the right direction for the LS and the whole Lexus line-up.Now give me a GS sized vehicle with the new LS tech and I'm in!!!! At the risk of sounding a bit cynical,where are the "cool things" Mark Templin promised???

Reactions
As LEXUS mentioned this engine is specifically designed for the new LS, so I think this new TT V6 will be as the V8 4.6L was, exclusive for the LS.

what about the GS460 isnt it the same engine as the LS460??

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I am in love with the interior, sans the trackpad!

Funny you say that. My '15 LS's battery gave up in the face of 10 degree temperatures this morning so it was at the dealer today getting a new battery (free of charge, because Lexus is awesome). While they diagnosed that, I got to drive a brand new NX 300h with less than 10 miles on the odo as my loaner. Was my first NX experience and my first touchpad experience, and I have to say the touchpad is a huge, huge improvement over the previous joystick. Much faster, and much more precise, and you don't feel like you're fighting the system the whole time. Yeah, I'd still prefer an iPhone-style touchscreen, but the touchpad definitely fixes a pain point I have with my current car.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
what about the GS460 isnt it the same engine has the LS460??

No, as i know the GS had another version of the engine " The GS 460 was motivated by a 4.6-liter V8 engine that produced 342 horsepower and 339 pound-feet of torque. "

The LS engine produce 386 hp and 367 lb.ft of torque, may be the same family but different version, as the LS always needs another level of smoothness and quietness.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Found 3 images on US website of white/silver LS:
Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0001.jpg

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0004.jpg

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0002.jpg

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Initial thoughts from me - aesthetically it looks like a stretched ES, Lexus continues to expand the brand imaging across their lineup which is a good thing. It has the "LS" presence as well though, which I'm sure will be even greater in person. I am not a huge fan of the front end, wish it had a bit more headlight to it, but I'm sure the design will grow over time and when seen in other color options.

I like the move to V6TT as well. Looking at the numbers alone, it should be a good engine for themcar, but I believe this is going to be onear that proves itself when driven. The torque output is more than any previous offering plus the 5LS now weighs 200lbs less than before. More than just for this car, I'm curious how the engine lineup in other Lexus' will be changing in the next few years as I think know there is a lot of performance and efficiency to be gained over the current offerings.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Great job Lexus. Just a hint of Porsche Panamera here? - I think one must realise this type of car does not compete with Buick or the like - rather look at other limousine cars. It is a step above the norm and will I think prove to be a good move up for this great Brand - pleasing to see a smooth and very modern interior with less of the very old fashioned wood just a hint of it here and there very well executed. Lexus has so much confidence one has simply to admire their steady move up the ladder of success for a relatively new Brand they have earned a place in the history of great motor cars.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I wanna see the same engine with bigger turbos in the future IS F. For the enthusiasts on a budget I know most people are looking to buy a used IS F. The problem is, even though the prices for pre-owned IS Fs are very good, the fuel economy of a 5 liter V8 is not ideal for these type of Lexus Enthusiasts. And I know people are still trying to get over the fact that the flagship does not even have a V8 as an option. But in the future, even its competitors will have to start lowering the displacement of their engines due to laws and regulations as well.

This brave step by Lexus shows me something I've wanted to see from the manufacturer for a long time. Before, many people have even said in this forum that Lexus always follows the Germans when they do something revolutionary with their cars but never takes the first step. Always waiting for another company to do it so they can follow suit. Now, Lexus was the first company to take the risk of dropping the V8 from the flagship lineup instead of waiting for a German company to do it first and only do it if the German company succeeds. This shows me that Lexus is coming out of the shadows now and is looking to dominate and lead the luxury market instead of following the leaders. Even I have said before when people speculated a hybrid or electric F vehicle that Lexus will never do it until Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi releases one and experiments because they are too scared to be so bold. Now, I think I've changed my mind about that and I think that Lexus will continue to be a brave, bold company and will become a leader in the Luxury market again.

This move by Lexus actually restored more faith into the company.

Reactions
I have mixed feelings about the new LS.

The exterior is very low, sleek and possibly elegant, but SO much so that it doesn’t look grand or majestic as it should be as a Lexus flagship IMAO.

The interior is gorgeous and um, novel, but somehow it reminds me of the interior of what people/automaker in the 1980s or 90s would have come up with as a then “futuristic car”.

But I can't wait to see the all new LS in person!!!

Last edited:
Reactions
There is strong truth to this rumour, as Japanese and Taiwanese media are now reporting this. It seems Toyota is at the same exact place they were 7 years ago with the 4GS oddly enough. What is seriously wrong with the GS, that they can never get the market right with it? The current GS was almost canned, even after styling approval. I am really going take your word as gospel from here on out, not that I ever doubted you as being reputable.

Thank you Carmaker1 for your kind words! I do take your word as gospel all the time:blush: because your information is always incredibly detailed and credible! So thank you again for always posting great, informative comments!

Reactions
I think the new LS shown at NAIAS is the five seats version, isn't it?
Will there also be 4 seats, executive version? There should be!! Really want to see Lexus' way to do "super luxury"!
14C1381_02.jpg

Mercedes Maybach rear seats. Very curious to see how Lexus is going to compete with super luxury rivals like this!!!

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
(...) In fact, as of now so far, this is the highest torque engine Toyota has ever offered in any model under any ToMoCo brand. I don't think that twin turbos alone, even if combined with some electric technologies can account for this. I think a new engine design combined with these technologies does account for it. Also Jeff Bracken mentioned the new Lexus engine as being a "long stroke" engine, which is a hallmark of the new TNGA Dynamic Force modular engine concept. I am 99% convinced it truly is an all new TNGA Dynamic Force engine.

For comparison. The 1UR-FE (Landcruiser V8 diesel) produces 460NM. (vs the 600NM of the new LS)

Last edited:

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
(...)

Land Cruiser V8 Diesel is 1VD-FTV and produces 650 Nm.

Argh! You are right. I was too fast on the configurator. The 1UR-FE is the 4.6 petrol, while the 1VD-FTV is the diesel. So the new LS has -almost- as much torque as the diesel Land Cruiser!