5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Can anyone spin Lexus going twin-turbo V6, when competing with twin-turbo V8s, as a market advantage?
Unless fuel economy has become the #1 buyer consideration in the Prestige sedan class, with gas under $2 a gallon, I'm not seeing it......

I see execs at BMW and Mercedes lighting up a big fat spliff right now.....
BD

You seem really burned by the omission of a V8. Truth is that Lexus new TT V6 is closer to Mercedes/BMW's V8s than their V6s, and the LS is lighter. If the V6 also allows for a better weight distribution - probably very close to 50/50, then I am on board with the V6.

I've been having a hard time with the extinction of the V8, but for some reason, I feel really good about this application. Think about 90% of LS buyers, and really, S Class and 7 Series buyers. They could get along just fine with 240hp.

415hp/442lb-ft is major power. It's going to feel like a V8. The torque is probably going to make it feel like Lexus' most powerful engine outside of the LFA's V10.

This is the first time that Lexus has delivered a higher horsepower engine that isn't torque deficient since maybe the 3UZ-FE.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also surprised no LS 500h announced at launch.
I'm not the least bit surprised. Since the 4GS launch (if not earlier), Lexus has been spreading out its new generation variant launches across multiple shows. LC 500 launched at last year's Detroit show, with LC 500h being saved for Geneva last year in late February/early March. The pattern should repeat for LS 500h.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm not the least bit surprised. Since the 4GS launch (if not earlier), Lexus has been spreading out its new generation variant launches across multiple shows. LC 500 launched at last year's Detroit show, with LC 500h being saved for Geneva last year in late February/early March. The pattern should repeat for LS 500h.

I guess thats right, I was thinking of the LC release last NAIAS.... Geneva makes sense for hybrids (Europe market).....

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Just my .02.

We all know when a new car debuts its compared to everything and a letdown until later :D Rarely does a car debut and get glowing praise like the LC. Being told info I couldn't share the exterior met my expectations. It was going to be sportier but no LC. I think that was clearly accomplished. The front is distinctly Lexus and the rear continues the L shaped theme with the usual Lexus exhaust cut outs. The LS lost its more traditional 3 box shape for a swoopier profile. We heard this was coming and the Panamera was a huge design influence.

My biggest gripe is the D-pillar which lost its usual LS version of the Hoffmeister Kink for something more generic. I understand the reason, to match the more coupe like roof but we have seen this before many times. The good news is unlike the concept the bottom of the windows sweep upward for a sportier look. I am not a fan of drooping window-lines into the rear.

That said to me in this class it and the Panamera have the most style with the Quattroporte up there.

Yes, the more I see the car and the video, the more I see the sexy Panamera (and some A7) influence at the rear. The rear is growing on me. I can also envision how much nicer it will look with tinted windows to mask some of the "busyness" in the rear door to the D-pillar.

I think the color unveiled looks to be Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium) which is appropriately elegant but I bet some of us would have been more excited (and less critical of the rear) seeing it in Ultra White or Obsidian as an F-Sport version with tinted windows. :D

upload_2017-1-9_11-8-9.png

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A further thought on the LS interior, and versus the S Class:

The big slab of leather right around the door handles and seat memory on the door panel on the LS interior; is that the best Lexus could do? No intricate stitching or detailing there, just a very plain piece of leather. Yes it's not the end of the world, but since the LS will be compared directly to the S Class, top end S Class designo trims have more intricate door panel detailing. It's these small touches that can really make a difference in this class.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Can someone photoshop a different wheel on this car? Like maybe the split 5 spokes from the LC?

I think another thing I'm hating is the TERRIBLE wheel choices that Lexus spec'd out for this car. It looks like a take on these disgusting ES wheels:

large-5.jpg

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Here is a picture that gives us a little hint of the new infotainment design. I haven't seen the infotainment on the new LC yet and i don't know if its different from it or not. But in my opinion it looks not to bad at all. Hopefully we have not to wait too long for more information.

At the moment it's too early to judge the car.
What is with that absolutely god awful Passenger Airbag light though?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I think the color unveiled looks to be Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium) which is appropriately elegant but I bet some of us would have been more excited (and less critical of the rear) seeing it in Ultra White or Obsidian as an F-Sport version with tinted windows. :D
I'm trying to figure out if that is, indeed, the case. It looks a bit darker , warmer and more beige than Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium) in the pictures, but Lord knows between the lighting and computer monitor calibration differences... I was also wondering if this is, instead, the new Manganese Luster alluded to in the Toyota Global news release.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A further thought on the LS interior, and versus the S Class:

The big slab of leather right around the door handles and seat memory on the door panel on the LS interior; is that the best Lexus could do? No intricate stitching or detailing there, just a very plain piece of leather. Yes it's not the end of the world, but since the LS will be compared directly to the S Class, top end S Class designo trims have more intricate door panel detailing. It's these small touches that can really make a difference in this class.

I think we are seeing Lexus head more and more towards simplicity as a form of luxury (it's a bigger conversation, but so is much of the rest of the world, in all forms of design). In the early 2000s, everything became cluttered with buttons, knobs and switches and I think some consumers started to revolt against that.

I'm on board for more simplicity, personally. To me, this is gorgeous:

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0011.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think we are seeing Lexus head more and more towards simplicity as a form of luxury (it's a bigger conversation, but so is much of the rest of the world, in all forms of design). In the early 2000s, everything became cluttered with buttons, knobs and switches and I think some consumers started to revolt against that.

I'm on board for more simplicity, personally. To me, this is gorgeous:

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0011.jpg

Well it's a fair discussion, and regarding buttons, I think Lexus achieved a great balance on this interior. An extra knob or two would have been ideal IMHO. Regarding interior simplicity, I don't think Lexus has ever gone overboard in terms of interior complexity in previous LS generations, so not sure how much this applies to the LS here. It's all a matter of opinion of course, and IMHO that slab of leather is a bit too simple for me. The rest of the door panel is gorgeous though, with fine detailing and what looks like top level craftsmanship.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

Yup. If you've seen HGTV lately, you've noticed their designers all took an abrupt turn around 2014. Now, large clean surfaces with nothing breaking them up are in, as are grey colors and aluminum trim. To me, the 5LS fits all this to a "T". It's not an accident they're showing it in Atomic Silver (err, Manganese, as per Mike).

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes, the more I see the car and the video, the more I see the sexy Panamera (and some A7) influence at the rear. The rear is growing on me. I can also envision how much nicer it will look with tinted windows to mask some of the "busyness" in the rear door to the D-pillar.

View attachment 2044

Its a new color called "Manganese" per KREW at the show......

The LS in Atomic Silver will be mind-blowing. I'm sure you will buy one in two weeks :D

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
You seem really burned by the omission of a V8. Truth is that Lexus new TT V6 is closer to Mercedes/BMW's V8s than their V6s, and the LS is lighter. If the V6 also allows for a better weight distribution - probably very close to 50/50, then I am on board with the V6.

I've been having a hard time with the extinction of the V8, but for some reason, I feel really good about this application. Think about 90% of LS buyers, and really, S Class and 7 Series buyers. They could get along just fine with 240hp.

415hp/442lb-ft is major power. It's going to feel like a V8. The torque is probably going to make it feel like Lexus' most powerful engine outside of the LFA's V10.

This is the first time that Lexus has delivered a higher horsepower engine that isn't torque deficient since maybe the 3UZ-FE.

Since owning the RC F and enjoying the 5L V8, to be honest, I'm more than fine with the new V6TT in the LS while keeping the V8 to the sportier more visceral LC. I bet the new V6TT is smoother, quieter, and with more low end torque (something the V8 is missing until about 3600 rpm), which is more appropriate in a serene premium luxury sedan. I bet if the 5L V8 was the engine, we'd be complaining about its age, etc.

A quick note to point out regarding nomenclature. We now see that Lexus may or may not incorporate "t" or "tt"in their car names. This opens the door to future speculation on new car name registrations that do not have any "t" in it. I'm fine with that since the LS 500's name is far better suited in terms of lineage and prestige over an "LS 350tt"! :)

As for future V8s in the LS... I'm definitely still wanting one in it but I like the idea of a V8TT exclusive to the LS F. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The official Lexus Europe news release is up now:

http://newsroom.lexus.eu/with-the-all-new-2018-ls-lexus-reimagines-global-flagship-sedan/

Not much new, but I did spot what are either new tidbits or just stuff I missed from skimming the USA and Global releases:

The 3,125 mm wheelbase is 35 mm longer than the current LS long-wheelbase model.

Compared to the current LS, the new model is about 15 mm lower, while the hood and trunk are approximately 30 mm and 41 mm lower, respectively.

Reactions: RAL

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Well guys, I am by no means a regular on here but the LC, LF-FC and believe it or not, as a 25 year old, the LF-SA concept have sparked my interest in Lexus as a brand. I currently own a 2007 Honda Legend, or Acura RL, so do like a luxury barge. Here are my thoughts.

• Can't quite make my mind up on the styling. The front look great from some angles and then awful and stuck on from others. The rear is a huge disappointment...just a refresh of what we have, not all-new like LF-FC was.
  • Colour of LF-FC not shown and can't quite see if its being offered yet, in my opinion one of the things that made the car.
  • Huge HUD looks incredible in that photo, goes beyond just a silly little speed readout and one or two other things.
  • Infotainment hard to gauge, but some shots it still look dated. Lexus want to predict what customers will demand they say in their Press Release...so why are they still insisting on no Apple CarPlay? If it's anything like the rubbish in current Lexus vehicles, it's dead in water vs Merc/Audi.
  • Overall, total disappointment when compared to the gorgeous LF-FC, but then I was told to keep my expectations low as LF-FC came way after 5LS was basically finished.