MARCH, FIRST QUARTER 2024 U.S. SALES FOR LEXUS

mikeavelli

Reactions
Different target demographics. I know we like to pretend that an RX with a V8 will sell well. The truth is, people automatically go to Porsche or BMW if their primary concern is a “sport” SUV. No one is going to “settle” for an RX, whether it’s V8 or not.

I don’t think Lexus expects any of their FSPs to be volume sellers. The RX 500 FSP is for the dad or mom who needs a reliable SUV but prefers an extra sportier trim. No one will be out racing Macans in this thing.

Lexus knows what it’s doing. Just as BMW and Porsche have cemented the idea that they are the premier sports brand, Lexus built a rock solid reputation with the RX as the reliable, luxury family hauler. It is THE family SUV in the luxury sector, pretty much a household name. A V8 version is just not in their priorities.

Well said. The RX groups are filled with ex and current Porsche and BMW owners who picked up a 500h because they like the overall package and will put up with a bit less acceleration in exchange for quality and reliability. It shocked me quite a bit.

Also seen a few F owners pick one up as their daily.

I don’t think the I-4 turbo hybrid is the issue. The issue is naming it 500 gives people that know higher expectations. If it was called a 400 or 450 i think people would be fine that are complaining.

We are talking about a RX that performs at worst on par with the mdx type s if not better since it won every comparison. That says a lot.