Motor

Expert
Reactions

“The Lexus GX has traditionally been a remarkable off-road vehicle, and this new generation proved itself with not only luxury features but also capability. The competition was extremely tight and some of the votes were very close, but overall, members of the Northwest Automotive Press Association chose the 2024 Lexus GX 550 Overtrail as the 2024 Outdoor Activity Vehicle of the Year,” said NWAPA President Nik Miles.

Otherwise, it’s really hard not to consider the new GX as an all-around, do-everything adventure machine. It’s comfortable, quiet, and spacious for on-road adventures with family and friends. And, straight off the showroom floor, it can easily tackle some serious off-road terrain.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Who sells a new car after driving it for only 70 miles? Is it buyer's remorse (but who makes such a decision after so short a trial period)? Is it being traded in for another trim level? Is it a case of "I need a car right now and better to buy than rent"?

Or is it something financially wicked and extra-legal?

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
another "deal" for the taking... LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09-38-14 Pre-Owned 2024 Lexus GX 550 550 Luxury.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09-38-14 Pre-Owned 2024 Lexus GX 550 550 Luxury.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Who sells a new car after driving it for only 70 miles? Is it buyer's remorse (but who makes such a decision after so short a trial period)? Is it being traded in for another trim level? Is it a case of "I need a car right now and better to buy than rent"?

Or is it something financially wicked and extra-legal?
These are people flipping cars. Dealers will happily buy them back to push up prices even further. Essentially what they do is taking supplies off the market to create an artificial shortage. But they will pay the price eventually.

I've seen a flipper buying a GR Corolla for $60k when new and had to sell at a loss for $52k. The dealer who bought it back then had to sell it at a loss again for $43k.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
Today, I went to our local dealership to test drive the new GX (Premium trim in Canada). I didn't drive it for too long, just around 10 mins in the city, but it was a great experience. The car handles exceptionally well, with plenty of power. I tried pushing it to 4000 RPM, and the turbo kicked in nicely, providing a good boost of power. The ride quality was good, it feels like a nimble large boat and it ride better than my 2020 RX, Surprisingly, the engine sound was also better than I expected, and the 10-speed gearbox felt silky smooth. I think the fit and finish of the interior is also the highlights of the car, very solid. Some people might feel that this car may not have the same quality as the previous generation, or maybe not as good as the RX, but as last gen RX owner I think this new GX interior is way better. The GX is definitely a good car, and it has invested too much production cost in areas unseen by the user. I just hope I can get mine very soon, told at least Fall 2025🥲
9A54AD32-C9C2-4F10-BF6C-5A2D9291D206.jpeg

RAL

Reactions
Today, I went to our local dealership to test drive the new GX (Premium trim in Canada). I didn't drive it for too long, just around 10 mins in the city, but it was a great experience. The car handles exceptionally well, with plenty of power. I tried pushing it to 4000 RPM, and the turbo kicked in nicely, providing a good boost of power. The ride quality was good, it feels like a nimble large boat and it ride better than my 2020 RX, Surprisingly, the engine sound was also better than I expected, and the 10-speed gearbox felt silky smooth. I think the fit and finish of the interior is also the highlights of the car, very solid. Some people might feel that this car may not have the same quality as the previous generation, or maybe not as good as the RX, but as last gen RX owner I think this new GX interior is way better. The GX is definitely a good car, and it has invested too much production cost in areas unseen by the user. I just hope I can get mine very soon, told at least Fall 2025🥲
View attachment 9158
Thanks for your feedback ... you checked all my boxes! ... Fall 25 ... hmmmm

Reactions
View attachment 9158

I saw this exact car (white exterior, black interior, Luxury trim) and we were quite blown away by it. Let's just say that when we asked our dealer for an ETA they said it would be a 3 year waiting list for these. 🤣🤣

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I drove one.

The Good:
  • Looks great from the outside.
  • Good visibility and seating position.
  • Audio system was decent.
  • Pano sunroof is pretty slick, driving assists work quite well, brakes work well

The Cons:
  • The motor isn't enough, in my opinion, and it's not sufficiently responsive. It's not confidence inspiring and the turbo lag caused a few moments where I had to abandon a lane change or seizing a gap. The NX350 F Sport I was using previously to haul stuff felt a LOT livelier.
  • Inside didn't live up to the pricing of the vehicle. The top of the door panels are HARD PLASTIC! The part you rest your arm on! That's absolutely nuts to me! Paying that sort of money for a Lexus, you shouldn't feel like there's corner cutting happening. The door panels and dash are nice, but quite simple (or comes across that way). Maybe lighter colors would help more, but overall it doesn't feel like you're sitting in a vehicle that expensive.
  • You don't get many options for colors, and the interiors are all pretty boring given they're mostly black.
  • Orange peel in the paint is still an issue, I was a bit shocked that this is still happening.
  • Constant annoying reminders to look ahead - Like literally you'd look down at the cup holder or the infotainment to do something and after a few seconds you'd start getting annoying warnings to look ahead - It wasn't clear how to disable this (you cannot drive with a hand at 12, unless you can disable it)
  • THE CAR ASKS TO RECORD YOU - It seriously asked me if it could record me as I was using the traffic jam assist / driver's assistance systems. This makes it even more noticeable that you have a camera staring you in the face. I'm not delicate about this stuff, but that still felt creepy.
  • Didn't feel like a substantial vehicle, unfortunately, and some NVH issues.
    • THIS IS WITH BEING TOLD THE CAR HAD ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING!
    • That said, grain of salt, the sales guy also said it had the active variable suspension but the car only had the standard 3 drive modes & no comfort, which doesn't seem to line up but I may be wrong.
  • You get a lot of the road feel in the car even on slightly bumpy roads.
  • No digital rear view mirror no matter how much you spend (It's on lower models like the NX, and it's quite handy if you fill up the back up the SUV or need a slightly different angle).

Also they're pricing residuals at like 50% after only a couple of years. The majority (2/3rds) of a lease quote is the implied depreciation. That's absolutely nuts. It feels like they're banking on lease owners thinking these will be worth more used than is being priced in or something to justify it.

I think there's a lot of hype around this vehicle, but as reality starts to settle in and people are stuck with $2k/mo payments and they start thinking critically about the experience they're getting, those wait times are going to fall off a cliff. I'm sure it'll do fine, but everything does fine in this world that has some positioning or clout with the masses. There's enough concentration of wealth where these companies can stop caring, unfortunately.