Would you consider Lexus / Toyota as being on top of reliability and value for money?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I know reliability rankings change year to year and each methodology will be different from focusing on minor complaints (initial JD Powers satisfaction survey) to actual major repairs / failure post warranty, which probably aren't as publicized.

Having been proud owner of Honda vehicles in the past and a 16 RAV hybrid, I can understand how some car makers produce cars that just have a lower total cost of ownership. We've had no issues with the vehicle and now I'm realizing maybe the extra $2,500 CAD we spent on the 7-year extended warranty was for naught. :)

Even just by reading discussions here on on ClubLexus makes me believe people who like owning their cars for the long-term and don't have time to take their cars repeatedly to the dealership, tend to select Toyota or Lexus.

Is my understanding accurate that with a Lexus, we can have decent performance, features, price all with a much lower total cost of ownership over other brands (German, Korean, etc.)?

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Absolutely. My parents have two that are both over 10 years old with 150k plus miles and just take it in for regular maintenance. My wife and I both have a Lexus too with no problems (newer cars so wouldn't expect it but still) and not only is their cars reliable they have the best service staff as well. I have taken Benz and Audi's to dealerships and with my experience I don't understand how you can treat clients who bring their 100k plus cars in like blah really. I don't know I am definitely biased, be the first to admit that, but at the same time I've had numerous interactions with both Lexus and Audi and Benz and going to Lexus is such a better experience.

Reactions
Have you guys seen Chevrolet and their retarded commercial? The entire WORLD set them on fire for it. Watch it yourselves, I don't want to ruin it for you guys. This commercial made me go mad.

https://www.mouseprint.org/2019/01/10/chevy/

And like I said before, everybody is blasting these jerkoffs. Here's one famous example. And I agree; Ford, Honda and obviously Toyota needs to sue the hell out of these people. Here's a famous guy we all know blasting Chevrolet.

But yes, Toyota and Lexus are #1. :heart:

Mr1956T

Fan
Reactions
Live in Ireland. Own two Lexus, a 2004 plate IS200 with 142,000 and a 2013 plate GS250 which is on 32,000. Wouldn't consider for one moment owning anything else, the customer service is outstanding. A Lexus is more than a car, it's an experience. The age of car makes no difference.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've owned Toyota products for my entire life and: 1) never been left stranded, 2) never done any major maintenance and 3) had my life saved by a Camry.

I'll be here until something goes so terribly wrong I go elsewhere. But yes, I definitely agree with your original statement.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Look at it this way...an unreliable car takes away the freedom to get into it and go wherever you need (or want) to go. Isn't this contrary to the reason why cars were invented? That's why I'm here, waiting on the 4th gen IS, and not on bimmerfest complaining about busted water pumps.

Even just by reading discussions here on on ClubLexus makes me believe people who like owning their cars for the long-term and don't have time to take their cars repeatedly to the dealership, tend to select Toyota or Lexus.

Is my understanding accurate that with a Lexus, we can have decent performance, features, price all with a much lower total cost of ownership over other brands (German, Korean, etc.)?

For me, it's not the time wasted taking the car into the dealership (although it is a significant factor), it's the loss of confidence in the car's ability to deliver on-demand transportation and the suspicion that the car will develop another problem before long. I want complete confidence that my car will always be there to take me places without any issues.

As for your understanding wrt Lexus, it's the knowledge that you got a high quality product made to the standards of the Toyota Production System. I don't consider German cars to be high quality at all, they're made with nice materials where you notice them the most, but the rest of the stuff under the hood is designed to last just long enough for the warranty to run out. Korean cars, on the other hand, have made immense improvements so I wouldn't count them out just yet. They're not quite at Toyota/Lexus levels of quality, but they are getting quite close to it.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I would say yes definitely for a Toyota. Did a 20k mile roadtrip in my cousin's RAV4 through some of the most hostile terrain in the world (Tibet), not one single problem encountered. In New Zealand almost 5k mi rallying the heck out of an Auris on gravel. More importantly Toyotas are very cheap to own due to cheap parts and we repaired minor damages at random roadside mechanic shops for almost nothing.

Can't say the same for Lexus. Yes the reliability is there but at least in China Lexus parts are among the most expensive. The overall cost of ownership is still lower than european brands but it's still way more expensive than non-premium brands.

As an example, I will take a RAV4, Highlander, or LC Prado to those very long roadtrips to Tibet (I take one every two years) and have zero worries. But I can't say the same for the NX, RX, or GX. My ES was probably a subpar sample that after 120k mi the electronic gremlins started becoming an annoyance and I stopped trying to get them fixed and sold it. The engine mount bushing also aged too quickly that I had significant NVH problems.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I would agree with the OP's statement for Lexus in the US, because if you're at a Lexus dealer's service area you're almost as likely in 2019 to see early-2000s IS/ES/LS coming in for regular maintenance and running well as you are to see current examples. Also some RX and GS. SC of either generation is pretty scarce though.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am almost 100% certain our next car to replace the 02 Honda Civic will be a Lexus because we want an AWD hybrid or better, AWD BEV, that isn't a SUV/CUV and is hopefully RWD-biased. We already have a RAV4H for that and hell no to the Prius AWD. :)

Will most likely wait for the 4IS and hopefully it does come in BEV form before/by 2023 and if not, hopefully the hybrid will be offered in North America just like carmaker hinted. :)

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I didn't know Scotty loved Lexus:

What this gentlemen said is all true. I guess many car enthusiasts will flock to the Germans for 0-60 results (and underrated HP/torque numbers) but newcomers like me (who don't drive like the Fast and the Furious and value reliability and lower total cost of ownership) will likely stick with Lexus/Toyota.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yes Scotty loves anything Toyota, and lambastes anything German lol. Personally not a fan of his. especially when his clickbaiting titles. His appeal is more to non-car folks rather than enthusiasts.

Reactions
I tend to go with what Consumer Reports says. Larger survey size and all those statistical criteria. Their data does make distinction between years and models. Toyota and Lexus are always at the top.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Yes Scotty loves anything Toyota, and lambastes anything German lol. Personally not a fan of his. especially when his clickbaiting titles. His appeal is more to non-car folks rather than enthusiasts.

I noticed too that his descriptions can be nothing like the videos themselves.

I guess I have to be clear. I am also a car enthusiast (enough) to be reading up on technology and having interest in doing DIY but I am okay with a Lexus (wife and daughter seems to have gotten infected with brand appeal and Yolo) with excellent handling, decent pick up, nice enough design inside and out but cannot go for the latest and fastest because of budget constraints and financial common sense and also because I have no intention to track my car.

I am hoping Toyota is listening to its fans and take strides in improving its offerings but I will likely stick with the brand because they simplify purchase decisions and don't require expensive packages to get LSS because they are standard.

Will visit the Lexus Experience store in Tokyo to further the Lexus agenda in my household haha.