Will new LS500 have a spare wheel/tire?

Reactions
I'm new here. I've had eight new LS sedans between 1993 & 2012, but I then switched to MB and currently drive a 2015 S550. I'm thinking of going back to Lexus. Does anyone know if the upcoming LS500 will come with a spare wheel/tire? Not only does the current S Class not have a spare, there is no place to put one, should an owner wish to have one. Just one of my many gripes about MB.

Another question: Will the new LS have an all glass roof as standard equipment like the new coupe? I really hope not. I absolutely HATE the standard Panorama Roof on my MB. Something like that should be optional, but MB shoves it down their customer's throats.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF
Reactions
I hate run flat tires, but at least that problem is easily remedied by just swapping them out. After years of the BMW 7 Series having RFT & no spare, with the current 7, BMW now has an option for a compact spare, which fits under the trunk floor.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a spare of some kind, although we lack any information from Lexus on the subject. The outgoing LS460 has a full-size spare under the trunk floor, and I hadn't realized that's actually rare in this class now.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm new here. I've had eight new LS sedans between 1993 & 2012, but I then switched to MB and currently drive a 2015 S550. I'm thinking of going back to Lexus. Does anyone know if the upcoming LS500 will come with a spare wheel/tire? Not only does the current S Class not have a spare, there is no place to put one, should an owner wish to have one. Just one of my many gripes about MB.

Another question: Will the new LS have an all glass roof as standard equipment like the new coupe? I really hope not. I absolutely HATE the standard Panorama Roof on my MB. Something like that should be optional, but MB shoves it down their customer's throats.

Hi, the panorama roof will be an option, not standard. I'm finding out about the spare now.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. It's big enough, and has enough space for it.

Edit: frankly I'm shocked the current S Class has no spare. That just blows me away personally.

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
It probably won't. If you look at all the wheel close ups of the LS 500, you'll see Bridgestone RFT tires. I googled and looked at every tire close up I could find and they were all the same: F sport, normal and Hybrid, they had the same and what I assume to be new OEM Bridgestone RFT tire on all of them because I couldn't find the model number of the tire for sale on Bridgestone's website, but there's no doubt they are run flats as they use the same acroynym on their other offerings.

I hate run flats and I think it's a mistake to not have even a space-saver spare. RFTs are inherently loud, rough, not very smooth, expensive and they end up failing in their original intent more often than not.

Useless hunks of crap.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It probably won't. If you look at all the wheel close ups of the LS 500, you'll see Bridgestone RFT tires. I googled and looked at every tire close up I could find and they were all the same: F sport, normal and Hybrid, they had the same and what I assume to be new OEM Bridgestone RFT tire on all of them because I couldn't find the model number of the tire for sale on Bridgestone's website, but there's no doubt they are run flats as they use the same acroynym on their other offerings.

I hate run flats and I think it's a mistake to not have even a space-saver spare. RFTs are inherently loud, rough, not very smooth, expensive and they end up failing in their original intent more often than not.

Useless hunks of crap.

I agree with your opinion on run flats, and that is disappointing information if true.

However I have recently heard some anecdotal information that the new LS will have regular all season tires, either standard or available as options. I am not sure if this applies to only the LS500, or the LS hybrid as well.

Furthermore, information has now appeared that the LC500 is available with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This is surprising, given that Lexus stated the LC is "only" available with run flats.

Due to these inconsistencies from Lexus regarding LC options and exact specs, I would still wait and see regarding the LS.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
I've been to one of our LS500 launch events for dealership employees and I can't not say for certain what the spare tire situation will be. Most of the event talked about our future and the new features regarding the quality and craftsmanship of the new designs and interior updates in the LS500. I have not heard that it will be running with runflats. According to our previous LS models, they always came with full sized spares. I assume given that it is our highest luxury sedan in the line up, that they would stick with it. Please don't quote me on that, but if I hear more about the specifications before any publications, I'll post again!

Brian
Lexus Service Consultant

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I don't think it will happen, but I'd like to see a Federal regulation mandating true full-size spare-tires and/or wheels in all new vehicles.....NOT temporaries, Donuts, run-flats, or compressed-air bottles. Why? Tires sometimes fail in sparsely-populated or remote regions, and run-flats, temporaries, and donuts are usually good for only about 50 miles or so, at reduced speeds. There are also situations where even the Fix-a-Flat bottles won't work. In addition, it can cause problems with car-based AWD systems, which depends four equally-sized tires to prevent excessive heat and wear on the center differential. True full-sized spares, of course, do not have those limitations.....they are like any other tire (and can be used for rotations as well).

I had an incident myself, many years ago, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (with very limited entry/exits), just east of Pittsburgh....on my way back to D.C. from Ohio. I was driving my (at the time) big full-size Chrysler. The left rear tire blew out.....I was able to maintain control, and I had to change it myself on the side of the road (risky, yes, but I managed). I had a real spare tire in the trunk (not a temporary), though it was a winter-spec tire with a rather noisy tread pattern. Anyhow, that snow-tire got me and my passenger back home (with some road noise) to the D.C. area, almost 250 miles away, without further problems. ;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a spare of some kind, although we lack any information from Lexus on the subject. The outgoing LS460 has a full-size spare under the trunk floor, and I hadn't realized that's actually rare in this class now.

A conventional full-size spare now is rare in just about anything that is not a work-truck or off-road-capable SUV. The last sedan I've seen with one is the Chevy SS, which, of course, is a Australian Holden-design (and, even then, it was part of a $900+ option). It was also an option on the last generation (pre-2014) Avalon.....not sure about the current one. Full-size spares could (?) also be included on some other sedans that I'm not aware of, but, today, are usually few and far between on most vehicles.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi everyone, the prototypes so far use run-flats and the LS does not currently have a spare tire. That could change for the production car which is a few months away.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hi everyone, the prototypes so far use run-flats and the LS does not currently have a spare tire. That could change for the production car which is a few months away.

Let's hope so. Run-flats, IMO, for several reasons, just don't cut it on a luxury-sedan. Besides, a sedan as large as the LS should have plenty of room in the trunk for even a conventional full-size spare; never mind a temporary or donut.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
I just went to the LC500/LS500 Tour at Atlanta Motorsports Park. From the pre-production models that we've seen, it's pretty much confirmed, there will be no spare tire and they will have run-flat tires. Both the F-sport and luxury/base models that we test drove felt great! I was very impressed on the responsiveness for the twin-turbo V6, better fuel effienciency, no noticeable turbo lag, better lower center of gravity, really made this car felt agile like a small sporty sedan, but all the creature comforts of flagship model luxury. I did enjoy the A8 test drive even though it sorely needs a refresh, some feedback from co-workers loved the MB (loved the feature where the bolster cuddles you on one side depending on which left/right turn you are taking), and we all thought the 740i isn't the ultimate driving machine. The suspension is excellent as run-flats were my concern with the Lexus cloud-like feel. Overall, very impressed with the LS500, it had the WOW-factor with the kuriko-glass feature, small part of the car's interior like 3% they said, but that really set a new luxury standard in pushing design forward compared to the Audi A8, BMW 740i, Mercedes-Benz S 450, and Tesla P100D.

Reactions
i can 100% confirm the LS500 does NOT have a spare tire. then again tire technology has evolved to the point that a spare really isnt needed anymore. btw, im pretty sure the LS460 was the very last car (i think) that still had a full size spare all the way till the end.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
btw, im pretty sure the LS460 was the very last car (i think) that still had a full size spare all the way till the end.

When I reviewed the Holden-built Chevy SS sedan (the American-market version), a couple of years ago, it had a real spare tire and alloy wheel, but that was part of a $900+ package option. It is still being sold here...but not in large numbers.

Reactions
This is my first comment on Lexus.
I have arrived at this site to review if Lexus have a spare wheel.
I am currently driving a MB S class.
For anyone to suggest that modern cars don't need a spare in Australia needs to experience a flat tyre over 80k from a reasonable size town and in particular at a weekend.
This happened to me and it is crazy that you have to wait up to 5 hours to get to a town ,stay overnight until they find a car rental, or a taxi [rare in smaller country towns].
Then put your car on a flat bed truck .
Then 3 days later you have your car back .
All for a flat tyre in Australia .
Run flats suit the car companies but not the customers
I currently have 3 MB in our family and will now only purchase a car with a spare wheel .
Just think of the oppotunity for a prestige brand to own the market.
That is why I looked at Lexus .
But it appears from the comments they will also fail in car design for AUSTRALIAN conditions.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This thread is a good opportunity for my innovation and technology rant.

I understand people have different needs and wants, but I really hate the arrogance of tech, when they cannot solve real problems in the best way possible, and sell 'gimmick' as a thing you can't live without. Of course a car must have a full size spare wheel. With staggered wheels, that is not possible. But who needs staggered tires on road? More so, who needs staggered tires on AWD that almost all (especially expensive) cars have now?

How it is that in over 100 years, tires have not changed and remain pneumatic? Could no entity come up with air-less tires?
Well, for their sake, they did. The tech is there (almost?). But again here I would blame big old companies, that are slow to change, for fear of loosing some short-term money.