Who's Really the Worst?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Oh yea, topic here is top 3 worst companies with barfy flavor of month being VW. Unfortunately for VW this stigma could last for many months/years. The investigations could expose just how lame corporate culture is.

What I'm concerned about is that this public and media frenzy with the diesel emissions has gotten so where it is going to overshadow the things that VW does very well....like a gem of a 2.0L turbo gas engine, a seamless-operating twin-clutch automanual transmission (one of the best of that type, IMO), a strong solid rattle-free unibody, solid-closing doors, nice paint jobs with durable paint that doesn't chip easily, a driver-centered chassis, and generally good seats. (unless, of course, it turns out that VW was cheating on the specs of that nice 2.0T gas engine too, LOL)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
What I'm concerned about is that this public and media frenzy with the diesel emissions has gotten so where it is going to overshadow the things that VW does very well....like a gem of a 2.0L turbo gas engine, a seamless-operating twin-clutch automanual transmission (one of the best of that type, IMO), a strong solid rattle-free unibody, solid-closing doors, nice paint jobs with durable paint that doesn't chip easily, a driver-centered chassis, and generally good seats. (unless, of course, it turns out that VW was cheating on the specs of that nice 2.0T gas engine too, LOL)

Agreed, all fine qualities for sure but none exclusive to VW today. And many of the top automakers can deliver those same qualities today with better reliability, styling and resale value. Certainly VW was first with a very good/refined 2.0 L turbo four, but now there several that meet or exceed VW's version.

Not to mention some buyers prefer not to deal with an unethical company that seems to think its okay to lie to and cheat its loyal customers (even in Europe, LOL).

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Agreed, all fine qualities for sure but none exclusive to VW today. And many of the top automakers can deliver those same qualities today with better reliability, styling and resale value. Certainly VW was first with a very good/refined 2.0 L turbo four, but now there several that meet or exceed VW's version.

Not to mention some buyers prefer not to deal with an unethical company that seems to think its okay to lie to and cheat its loyal customers (even in Europe, LOL).

If it turns out that VW also cheated on the well-respected 2.0T gas engine, then, yes, the damage will be so bad that the company's further existence in the U.S. would be called into question. So far, there's little or no evidence of that...but we'll see. This will also (probably) be the end of any speculation on whether we'll see the Corrado or Scirocco here in the U.S.....there were rumors of that, but nothing concete.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
If it turns out that VW also cheated on the well-respected 2.0T gas engine, then, yes, the damage will be so bad that the company's further existence in the U.S. would be called into question. So far, there's little or no evidence of that...but we'll see. This will also (probably) be the end of any speculation on whether we'll see the Corrado or Scirocco here in the U.S.....there were rumors of that, but nothing concete.

No evidence of that w/gassers, not sure why it's mentioned. The damage to corporation is plenty horrific, financial stability in future is at risk which could delay new product launches.

VW's problems are diesel-related, and no surprise a major portion of Europe's air pollution problem is diesel-related too.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Wow, don't visit for a few days and an intelligent debate breaks out! LOL.
Have to respect the decorum on this site.
I have always turned away from German automakers (except Porsche) for their take-it-or-leave-it arrogance.
Audi just got named and with the familial connections between VW and their corporate acquisitions, we could see more fallout from this.
General Motors survived some pretty horrible scenarios, so I think the VW group survives long term.
Perhaps they became a victim of their hubris?
Gunning for world domination by taking Toyota's crown for worldwide production to blame?
We'll know soon enough...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
General Motors survived some pretty horrible scenarios, so I think the VW group survives long term.

Agreed. And you can add Ford to the list of those who survived bad scenarios.

Next time, drop in once in a while. ;)

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
i
Have to respect the decorum on this site.
I have always turned away from German automakers (except Porsche) for their take-it-or-leave-it arrogance.
Audi just got named and with the familial connections between VW and their corporate acquisitions, we could see more fallout from this.
Perhaps they became a victim of their hubris?
Gunning for world domination by taking Toyota's crown for worldwide production to blame?
We'll know soon enough...

Bulldog - Glad you checked in. You brought up some very good questions.

I don't think survival is a question for VW, because German government will (or might have to) step in if necessary. But VW will likely incur the most damage when it's all done, and a lot more still needs to happen. VW's problem goes beyond the (soon to be failed) world domination/number 1 title grab. Something is seriously wrong with the VW corporate culture that facilitated intentional fraud, cheating and law-breaking for 6 years straight. And in the process over that time period, they have slipped behind the competition from clean technology standpoint worsening their competitive situation.

Last edited:

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I'm a huge fan of Tanner Foust and Andretti Autosport, so I'm disheartened to read VW could be implicated in racing like Foust's Global Rally Car vehicles.
Guess this is a viable distraction from the Takata debacle.