krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2023-02-09-lexus-grand-highlander-hero.jpg

Toyota revealed their Grand Highlander three-row crossover yesterday as part of the Chicago Auto Show festivities, and this new model will reflect directly with the Lexus TX due later this year.
The major point to consider are the three drivetrains: a 265-hp turbocharged 2.4L four-cylinder and a eight-speed transmission as standard, a 2.5L four-cylinder hybrid with 243-hp, and most importantly, a Hybrid Max powertrain with a turbocharged 2.4-liter hybrid with 362 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque — an engine perfect for the lackluster Lexus powertrain lineup.
Beyond the basic shape, it’s unlikely that the Lexus and Toyota models will look similar — however, both will share the spacious third row...

Continue reading...

Reactions
I just don't understand why they called it "Grand Highlander."
There is nothing grand or Highlander about it. In fact, ruins the Highlander name.

But I presume this will be the Lexus TX. I also heard the next 4Runner could become more of a Bronco competitor. I wonder what that could mean for the GX...

Would be a smart move. Make a new TX a 3-row crossover essentially replacing the RXL and the GX. Make the GX a "luxury Bronco" or almost like a GClass competitor and make it electric...People will be talking about Lexus for good reasons then!

Reactions
I just don't understand why they called it "Grand Highlander."
There is nothing grand or Highlander about it. In fact, ruins the Highlander name.

But I presume this will be the Lexus TX. I also heard the next 4Runner could become more of a Bronco competitor. I wonder what that could mean for the GX...

Would be a smart move. Make a new TX a 3-row crossover essentially replacing the RXL and the GX. Make the GX a "luxury Bronco" or almost like a GClass competitor and make it electric...People will be talking about Lexus for good reasons then!
Grand highlander is a big rav 4, 4Runner will be a small sequoia, GX will be small LX

TX will be Grand highlander with Lexus grill and interior

Reactions: MrT

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I would guess that the GRAND name came from Jeep and the Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer. Jeep is trying hard to be a big bucks premium brand, though.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Right, the Grand Highlander is aimed directly at the Grand Wagoneer from everything I've seen. GW has a nice interior, but there've been a lot of reports of quality/reliability issues with it so there's an opportunity for Toyota there.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The Grand Highlander builds upon the Highlander, both the platform and the name.

It is an extension of the Highlander ("Grand", as in larger), larger to provide more room in the third row and more all seats-up cargo space, which the current Highlander lacked.

And it builds upon the Highlander name, which is an established, well-recognized and well-accepted name in the family vehicle market that still sells well (unlike the Avalon which was losing sales as it had become recognized as an old-folks' car). Relating it to the Highlander gives it a headstart in sales.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The Grand Highlander builds upon the Highlander, both the platform and the name.

It is an extension of the Highlander ("Grand", as in larger), larger to provide more room in the third row and more all seats-up cargo space, which the current Highlander lacked.

And it builds upon the Highlander name, which is an established, well-recognized and well-accepted name in the family vehicle market that still sells well (unlike the Avalon which was losing sales as it had become recognized as an old-folks' car). Relating it to the Highlander gives it a headstart in sales.
Toyotas SUV/CUV lineup is currently C-HR, Corolla Cross, Rav4, Venza, Highlander, 4Runner, and Sequoia. That is a ton of names to keep straight, so it makes sense to avoid trying to establish yet another new nameplate. Like you said, this is the Highlander for the people that looked at the current one and just wanted a little more space.