VW Sharpens the Tiguan for its Second Generation

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
volkswagen-tiguan-01-1.jpg

volkswagen-tiguan-08-1.jpg

volkswagen-tiguan-15-1.jpg

After a long run, Volkswagen has finally retired the first-generation Tiguancrossover in favor of the larger, more chiseled second-generation model. The new compact is longer, wider, and lower than the more upright CUV that came before it. Yet, as we covered in our original post, the new Tig is also over 100 pounds lighter.

The bodywork is conservative but handsome; typical of newer VWs. We see plenty of Passat andTouareg in the fascia, which features a three-bar grille that integrates neatly with the slightly canted, rectangular headlights. The beltline looks higher than today's Tiguan, and sits below a more aggressive greenhouse, which is a welcomed change after the soft, crossovery looks of the last-gen model.

While VW has only released European powertrain options – there are eight engine options, split evenly between gas and diesel and boasting anywhere from 123 to 237 horsepower – we'll expect a far smaller roster for the US. Look for VW's familiar 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder to feature prominently in both front- and all-wheel-drive models, while we're personally hoping VW will see the light and offer a 2.0-liter TDI Tiguan.

Of course, there's more than just gas and diesel for the new Tiggy. The all-new GTE model promises plug-in capability. Expect 31 miles of electric range and 215 system horsepower. There are even solar panels on the roof which could generate up to an extra 600 miles per year of driving range.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/15/volkswagen-tiguan-frankfurt-2015/#slide-3621843

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I personally like the overall styling, though I'm sure that some will complain that it is too conservative.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I quite like it too - it's chunky and more masculine. It actually reminds me a lot of the X5 for some reason.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Agree. This is a huge leap over the current POS.

There, I said it. lol.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I guess I just don't see it :confused:.

This looks like a really small leap, or in fact, maybe a step backwards in styling. I know this is "all new", but it looks very dated personally.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I guess I just don't see it :confused:.

This looks like a really small leap, or in fact, maybe a step backwards in styling. I know this is "all new", but it looks very dated personally.

So-called "dated" styling, though, sometimes has a way of standing the test of time. Often (depending on the specific situation), radical new designs are quite popular at first, but then are like overcooked pasta after a couple of years.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So-called "dated" styling, though, sometimes has a way of standing the test of time. Often (depending on the specific situation), radical new designs are quite popular at first, but then are like overcooked pasta after a couple of years.

Yes I'm aware of that; this just looks too square and staid IMO. I can only agree to disagree with others for this model. While it's true that understated styling stands the test of time, it's also possible to take it to an extreme. It's possible to have styling that's too understated, leading to a vehicle that ends up completely forgettable with time, in my opinion at least.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes I'm aware of that; this just looks too square and staid IMO. I can only agree to disagree with others for this model.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. This certainly is not styling along the lines, of, say the NX or new RX. Compared to them, it IS quite conservative....maybe even "Staid" as you put it. The question is which one will best stand the test of time....and automotive history is mixed and unclear in that regard.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
They might want to rephrase this line:

"while we're personally hoping VW will see the light and offer a 2.0-liter TDI Tiguan."

VW seeing plenty of glaring light today.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. This certainly is not styling along the lines, of, say the NX or new RX. Compared to them, it IS quite conservative....maybe even "Staid" as you put it. The question is which one will best stand the test of time....and automotive history is mixed and unclear in that regard.

At this point, given the extraordinary situation VW is involved in, I think styling is now the least of their worries.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
At this point, given the extraordinary situation VW is involved in, I think styling is now the least of their worries.

And the "sales unit race for #1 in 2015" is now on hold, (for about a decade).

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Yes, I'd (now) have to agree. At that last post I made, the scandal had not deepened quite this much.

Reactions: CIF