Video shows deadly rollaway accident involving a Range Rover

Levi

Expert
Reactions
tragic. it could be electronic glitch, but will be hard to prove, jlr will avoid and defend itself. it can be human error, but the system can be made to reduce/eliminate human error by automatically engaging into park. given that the dial increases the likelihood of human error, the safeguard should have been implemented since the beginning of this new system.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Never did like rotary-shifters...probably never will.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....or try to fix it.

IMO, the best shifter will always be a plain old straight-line fore/aft (no-zig-zag) PRNDL shift-lever.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Never did like rotary-shifters...probably never will.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....or try to fix it.

IMO, the best shifter will always be a plain old straight-line fore/aft (no-zig-zag) PRNDL shift-lever.
Wasn't it a rotary shifter that caused his car to roll into him that killed Anton Yelchin (Chekhov in the latest Star Trek movies)? As I recall, he left the car in neutral, got out, car rolled and crushed him against a wall? And later Chrysler fixed that by automatically setting the e-brake (or automatically shifting to Park) when the transmission is left in Neutral and the driver door is opened?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wasn't it a rotary shifter that caused his car to roll into him that killed Anton Yelchin (Chekhov in the latest Star Trek movies)? As I recall, he left the car in neutral, got out, car rolled and crushed him against a wall? And later Chrysler fixed that by automatically setting the e-brake (or automatically shifting to Park) when the transmission is left in Neutral and the driver door is opened?

Actually, in Anton's case, I think it was one of those BMW-type Electronic E-joysticks. Chrysler made some changes to the design (as you note) after that incident.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I've forgotten a couple of times to press the P button on my LS500, but it automatically engages when you turn the engine off as far as I can tell. I do prefer some kind of stick, even if it's zig-zag.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
@Ian, do you set your parking brake? Doing so may make pressing the P button redundant; setting the parking brake may also automatically engage Park.