Video: Motor Trend Takes the 2016 Lexus LX 570 Off-Roading

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-08-16-lexus-lx-motor-trend.jpg

An excellent look at the multi-terrain capabilities of the LX 570.
View the original article post

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
You don't often see an LX getting really down and dirty like that, so it was fun to watch. With a body kit to fix the approach/departure angles back to Land Cruiser spec and taller tires it'd be quite a formidable off-roader.

Reactions: RAL

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Off-road SUV, your can count them on your fingers:
  • Toyota Land Cruiser (200 and 70) / Lexus LX
  • Land Rover LR4 and Range Rover Vogue
  • Mercedes G Class
  • Jeep Wrangler

The Toyota/Lexus are the most complete ones, the 'best' at everything. Land Rover and Range Rover could be better, but their bad reliability is just not acceptable. Jeep Wrangler is too hard-core, and even not noticeably more capable if not modified. The G Class has the most potential, but lacks Toyota reliability and Range Rover luxury.

Mercedes could have made a nice LX rival, with the M Class, but that car is just not as capable, again again not as reliable as desired.

I want Toyota/Lexus to even further improve their car with the next generation. Toyota could steal a huge market of they themselves built armored Land Cruiser and designed their car with armoring in mind. All armored Land Cruisers are built by third parties, and factory armoring is better. See Mercedes Guard.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
Indeed, Lexus LX and Toyota Landcruiser are the most well rounded offroad vehicles. My family first Land Cruiser, LC80 is still running well after 20 years owning it. Proud to be Toyota and Lexus owner (2012 Lexus RX)

S10

Reactions
Beautiful landscape, nice car, but I would rather go up there walking and climbing instead of driving.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Off-road SUV, your can count them on your fingers:
  • Toyota Land Cruiser (200 and 70) / Lexus LX
  • Land Rover LR4 and Range Rover Vogue
  • Mercedes G Class
  • Jeep Wrangler

Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX 460/Land Cruiser Prado deserve to absolutely be on that list.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As for the issue at hand... cool to see an LX in this environment, and i'm actually pretty impressed with just how well it did on the stock 21" wheels with street rubber. True capability!

Reactions
Jonny Lieberman did bring up a good point. As a regular person, you would go once up the hill and one down. But as a journalist, you'd have to go up several times to get the shots they need.