VIDEO: 2018 Lexus Dealer Meeting Notes (Vehicles 2019 - 2022)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Someone let the details slip!

Highlights:

- Refreshed RC/RC F. RC F looks more like LFA.
- Special edition blackout LX with white interior
- 600-700hp + LC F coming
- LC convertible coming
- GX refresh in 2019, redesign in 2022
- refreshed RX getting remote touch with a touch screen
- IS redesign on the horizon
- LF-1 coming; ultra luxury flagship vehicle that could eclipse the LS. Hydrogen powertrain option. F version planned.
- GS dead in 2020, result of the market shift to SUVs
- ES AWD coming in 2019
- Fully electric Lexus SUV coming in next 2-3 years.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Honestly, the one big surprise in all this is the Remote Touch with Touch Screen for the RX facelift. (It probably at least partly explains why its mid-life refresh was pushed back to the 2020 model year, besides RX L and traditional RX lifecycle). Heck, even the Black Edition LX was foretold in a now-deleted Lexus Lounge thread.

I don't know if I'm being facetious or jaded or cynical, but this is, for the most part, just confirmation of previously rumored or leaked stuff. I've learned far more new stuff from Carmaker1 and from U.S. trademark filings than I did from that video.

RAL

Reactions
I appreciated the opportunity to chat with the managing partner of Lexus of Louisville last night at the launch party for the 2019 ES. We crossed paths during the beautiful catered meal in the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs. When questioned about AWD availability, He was adamant saying:

ES AWD will be available in Spring 2019

That settles it! I will extend our current lease three months to wait for the AWD 7ES!

I was able to get up close and personal with two different 7ES models. Let me say the 7ES is stunning in real life; a huge leap forward beyond the 6ES. Wasn't able to test drive, but was able to start the engines and observe all the new features. I'll not go into detail here, but let me just say I could hear and feel quality by simply closing the driver's door; vault-like! My salesperson currently drives a loaded 2018 ES Ultra. He drove one of the new models to the venue. He was ecstatic describing to me how much the car has evolved over and above his 6ES.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
The IS redesign can't happen soon enough, the V6 engine can't keep up with the turbo 6 cylinder powerplants of the competition, the infotainment sucks, interior is a bit outdated and cramped and the 6 speed on the AWD models is not the best. I would have bought a 340i or S4 or C43 by now, but I don't trust German reliability.

I wonder when we'll hear official details of the redesign? What I'm looking for is the move to TNGA-N (or L), new 8 or 10 speed auto, Android Auto / AC, and of course the twin turbo V6 model to compete directly against the 340i / S4 / C43. Pricing wise, I'd be happy if it was the same or a little less than the aforementioned 3.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Highlights:

- Refreshed RC/RC F. RC F looks more like LFA.
- Special edition blackout LX with white interior
- 600-700hp + LC F coming
- LC convertible coming
- GX refresh in 2019, redesign in 2022
- refreshed RX getting remote touch with a touch screen
- IS redesign on the horizon
- LF-1 coming; ultra luxury flagship vehicle that could eclipse the LS. Hydrogen powertrain option. F version planned.
- GS dead in 2020, result of the market shift to SUVs
- ES AWD coming in 2019

thank you for sharing, much appreciated!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with Joaquin Ruhi, no truly noteworthy or surprising information personally. In fact, some of this information has already been publicly announced and/or shown (like the updated RC line). This guy also sounds quite confused on some concepts like autonomous cars. For a Lexus employee at a dealership, he sounds confused on many concepts, and almost clueless on other details. Maybe I'm partially incorrect, and maybe he's partly confused because he was told confusing information. However he's still not knowledgeable on concepts like autonomous vehicles and he's incorrect on even more basic things like calling the LF-1 the "FX-1". He's also unsure about past release dates for concepts and existing models.

However I am surprised that a big public leak like this itself has occurred. Lexus will not be happy with this. Toyota and Lexus have been really secretive with significant future product information over the last few years. Even if most of this is not noteworthy or surprising to us, it is the principle of the matter here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, the one big surprise in all this is the Remote Touch with Touch Screen for the RX facelift. (It probably at least partly explains why its mid-life refresh was pushed back to the 2020 model year, besides RX L and traditional RX lifecycle). Heck, even the Black Edition LX was foretold in a now-deleted Lexus Lounge thread.

I don't know if I'm being facetious or jaded or cynical, but this is, for the most part, just confirmation of previously rumored or leaked stuff. I've learned far more new stuff from Carmaker1 and from U.S. trademark filings than I did from that video.

i doubt anything was pushed back... but sure, that touch screen will be nice to have again... it works with their large screens that are close to the driver again and solves quite few issues.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
i doubt anything was pushed back... but sure, that touch screen will be nice to have again... it works with their large screens that are close to the driver again and solves quite few issues.

I disagree, as this RX update was scheduled for MY 2019. I would have not made that statement, if it didn't have some truth to it. Something changed in the last 14 months. I can see why that might have happened even, as the GX facelift was also targeted for MY 2019 as well. That has gone 6 years straight without any substantial changes to it since MY 2014.

The longest time the RX went without changes was 3- 4 years in its second generation, between the MY 2007 change to RX 350 (March 2006) and then another minor update for MY 2008 in February 2007.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

Highlights:

- Refreshed RC/RC F. RC F looks more like LFA. (We have seen spy shots, so probably accurate)
- Special edition blackout LX with white interior (Already available in Gulf Region and Russia for MY 2019)
- 600-700hp + LC F coming (The major tidbit, that I can believe. Due in spring 2020, possible Tokyo 2019 unveiling)
- LC convertible coming (Yes, prototypes are about and we saw a mule in February. Due in Spring 2020)
- GX refresh in 2019, redesign in 2022 (Yeah, but sadly the redesign is so far out, that date is still tentative, until at least 18 months before 2022.)
- refreshed RX getting remote touch with a touch screen (Someone named Jared Hovander that is on CL and works for a Cali auto mall hinted at this, but I thought it was for GA-K RX instead.)
- IS redesign on the horizon (How could he not have timeline on that, if I already do? I have more on that car in the 4IS thread

)

- LF-1 coming; ultra luxury flagship vehicle that could eclipse the LS. Hydrogen powertrain option. F version planned. (MY 2021, Q4 2020)
- GS dead in 2020, result of the market shift to SUVs (Like the SC, it will be distantly replaced probably with existing line-up and CUV)
- ES AWD coming in 2019 (Yes, May 2019)

He tried, but mixed up many things in his long commentary. Felt like I've met him in the past though, I have to ask him.

Oh no, I missed it?! Why was it deleted?:confused:

I just like that another source has come out to verify, some of what I have been saying (as well as you and others) and expanded on it somewhat. I only know Lexus employees, not execs. My cousin's husband works for the marketing wing of Lexus UK and isn't always so forthcoming. Currently I'm in Texas, just as his wife attends to his sister-in-law (other cousin) in crisis in Toronto. Lexus discussion would tick him off unfortunately.

I appreciated the opportunity to chat with the managing partner of Lexus of Louisville last night at the launch party for the 2019 ES. We crossed paths during the beautiful catered meal in the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs. When questioned about AWD availability, He was adamant saying:

ES AWD will be available in Spring 2019

That settles it! I will extend our current lease three months to wait for the AWD 7ES!

I was able to get up close and personal with two different 7ES models. Let me say the 7ES is stunning in real life; a huge leap forward beyond the 6ES. Wasn't able to test drive, but was able to start the engines and observe all the new features. I'll not go into detail here, but let me just say I could hear and feel quality by simply closing the driver's door; vault-like! My salesperson currently drives a loaded 2018 ES Ultra. He drove one of the new models to the venue. He was ecstatic describing to me how much the car has evolved over and above his 6ES.

Someone said to me April or as late as May, so you just further verified that! That event sounded lovely by the way.

The IS redesign can't happen soon enough, the V6 engine can't keep up with the turbo 6 cylinder powerplants of the competition, the infotainment sucks, interior is a bit outdated and cramped and the 6 speed on the AWD models is not the best. I would have bought a 340i or S4 or C43 by now, but I don't trust German reliability.

I wonder when we'll hear official details of the redesign? What I'm looking for is the move to TNGA-N (or L), new 8 or 10 speed auto, Android Auto / AC, and of course the twin turbo V6 model to compete directly against the 340i / S4 / C43. Pricing wise, I'd be happy if it was the same or a little less than the aforementioned 3.

I am going to share some more info on that soon, but the 2019 IS just got headlight improvements as a swansong update in the US. The next one is probably being built in prototype stages as we speak and in Hokkaido at the moment. I definitely don't know what it looks like, but styling was already finished a year ago. MY 2021.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I agree with Joaquin Ruhi, no truly noteworthy or surprising information personally. In fact, some of this information has already been publicly announced and/or shown (like the updated RC line). This guy also sounds quite confused on some concepts like autonomous cars. For a Lexus employee at a dealership, he sounds confused on many concepts, and almost clueless on other details. Maybe I'm partially incorrect, and maybe he's partly confused because he was told confusing information. However he's still not knowledgeable on concepts like autonomous vehicles and he's incorrect on even more basic things like calling the LF-1 the "FX-1". He's also unsure about past release dates for concepts and existing models.

However I am surprised that a big public leak like this itself has occurred. Lexus will not be happy with this. Toyota and Lexus have been really secretive with significant future product information over the last few years. Even if most of this is not noteworthy or surprising to us, it is the principle of the matter here.

I agree, he is definitely confused and made me cringe, but I am happy he has also verified some of what I've said.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree, he is definitely confused and made me cringe, but I am happy he has also verified some of what I've said.

it is just info from dealer meeting... so nothing there will be more than 1yr out, and if it is more than 1yr, then there is likely a reason for them to talk about it , for instance it does not compete with current offerings or explanation for delay, etc.

nevertheless, it is very good to get some confirmations!

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I am going to share some more info on that soon, but the 2019 IS just got headlight improvements as a swansong update in the US. The next one is probably being built in prototype stages as we speak and in Hokkaido at the moment. I definitely don't know what it looks like, but styling was already finished a year ago. MY 2021.

Thanks for the info and updates! MY 2021 means a 2020 release, correct?

I just can't believe that Lexus would dare to keep the 2GR-FKS going on for the next gen IS. Infiniti switched from the 3.7 VQ series to the 3.0 TTV6 as soon as they could, even lowly Acura is going to get an Acura-exclusive turbo V6 engine for their Type-S models, of which the TLX is almost certainly going to be part of. Hell... Kia has the Stinger GT with the same engine from the G70... freaking Kia!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the info and updates! MY 2021 means a 2020 release, correct?

I just can't believe that Lexus would dare to keep the 2GR-FKS going on for the next gen IS. Infiniti switched from the 3.7 VQ series to the 3.0 TTV6 as soon as they could, even lowly Acura is going to get an Acura-exclusive turbo V6 engine for their Type-S models, of which the TLX is almost certainly going to be part of. Hell... Kia has the Stinger GT with the same engine from the G70... freaking Kia!

Twin turbo will certainly not be only engine, so i sam not sure that GR won't stay as an option or base, depending on market.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Twin turbo will certainly not be only engine, so i sam not sure that GR won't stay as an option or base, depending on market.

Oh right...they could keep the 2GR as the engine for the IS300. If I understand correctly, the current IS300 uses that exact engine but with a different tune.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Oh right...they could keep the 2GR as the engine for the IS300. If I understand correctly, the current IS300 uses that exact engine but with a different tune.

they will use it for 350, and twin turbo would be 500, just like in LS.

Speculation of course, but since quite few models are getting that 500 engine, I have little doubt that IS500 will be a thing.

I also think it wont sell too much, because most people in this class buy base engines, but it will be a nice PR, just like Camry V6 is a great PR for Toyota.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
they will use it for 350, and twin turbo would be 500, just like in LS.

Speculation of course, but since quite few models are getting that 500 engine, I have little doubt that IS500 will be a thing.

I also think it wont sell too much, because most people in this class buy base engines, but it will be a nice PR, just like Camry V6 is a great PR for Toyota.

I like it already. If it competes directly against the 340i / S4 / C43, then I'm in. Take those cars, strip out the German bs and add Lexus reliability.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Is this guy still a member of the Lexus network? Whatever is true or not true, revealing publicly such information is a serious issue... Anyway, interesting, but all of this is not necessarily true. ;)

Reactions: CIF