Unifying the Technology

Chase C.

Fan
Reactions
So Krew, a while back I sent in a photo of the seemingly updated RTI on the GS F and it's still on my mind. Any ideas? Did you notice anything different about the interior technology other than that and the F specific toggles at the Detroit Auto show?

Also, how does everyone think Lexus should unify the brand other than the Spindle Grille, of course. The split DRL's are a must, but they definitely need to get rid of the blotchy LED'S and make them continuous strips. In addition, the updated trackpad Remote Touch Interface should be carried over to the GS and such.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Right, been meaning to write something about this!

The GS F has a strange controller that combines the elements of all three Remote Touch controller versions, with the two Enter buttons on the side from the first generation, the floating mouse of the second generation, and the back button of the new third generation:

DSC08401.jpg
I have no idea why Lexus went this way, though I suspect it had to do with the size of the new RTI controller -- perhaps it wouldn't fit in the space.

It does lead to a lot of confusion -- there's now four different controllers available in Lexus vehicles: the second generation Remote Touch in most models, the new touchpad RTI controller in the RC & NX, the Display Audio knob, and this new GS F configuration. It will be years before they can unify them.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
The first RTI which debuted in the RX and the HS I think were much easier to use and navigate with. Just give us our touch screens back...we're once step closer with the touchpad RTI.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I find the RTI touchpad's control is the best iteration to date, enjoying it on the NX.

Initially though I had kept the haptic feedback in its default setting ("3") and didn't like the vibration and control, unlike the mouse RTI which I didn't mind since holding a physical knob from the RX felt more natural with the feedback. I then tried it set to full haptic feedback ("5") and similarly didn't like it. But after disabling the feedback ("1"), big difference. The movement and control on the touchscreen is smooth and feels almost as natural as navigating on your phone or tablet, but still lacks the ultimate precision a handheld device. Almost there... RTI Touchpad "v2.0" should fix that...

NX_RTI1.jpg

NX_RTI2.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
@corradoMR2: Agreed -- the RTI setup definitely requires changing the settings to suit the person.

I drove a GS 350 for much of 2012, and my wife and I had totally different preferences for the Remote Touch. Made for a frustrating experience, and I wish the settings could have been customized per driver.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't mind it at all and the German systems are now pretty easy to use too. Funny to think the GX, LX and IS C still use the touchscreens.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I actually think the latest RTI touchpad is not the easiest to use. The first RTI first introduced in RX and HS was the best as it was more intuitive and easy to orient on screen. The current touchpad RTI is super slow and constantly moves the map off center if you barely brush something on it. With that said I miss my touch screen Lexus Nav displays.