Two Lexus Teams to Participate in the 24 Hours of Nürburgring Race This Weekend

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-15-lexus-lfa-gazoo-racing-400x200.jpg

This weekend, two Lexus teams will be racing in the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. The first team will be driving the Lexus LFA Code X in the SP-Pro class, and the second team will be the RC 200t in the SP3 class.
View the original article post

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Only an hour and a half left in the race, and the LFA Code-X is 14th overall and 1st in the SP-PRO class. The RC 200t is 41st overall, and 4th in the SP3T class.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 10.31.19 AM.png

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So the RC200t finished ahead of the IS F CCS-R? Impressive. Did the IS F CCS-R have any mechanical troubles?

Juergen

Founding Member
Reactions
The IS F had a accident in the early night, but the mechanics did a great job, to bring the car back to the race at position 130 (about) .

Last edited:

Juergen

Founding Member
Reactions
Sorry, I did a mistake.
The RC was only on position 4 in the 3T class.
He missed the podium unfortunately.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Ah okay, so that explains why the IS F CCS-R finished behind the RC200t, thanks :).

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Also I've been looking for a long time for more information on the purpose of the Code X, and I've found it :)!

Hidden in a Gazoo Racing press release from last year (important parts highlighted):
http://gazooracing.com/detail/3336490

The No. 53 LFA Code X, the other LFA at Nürburgring, was driven by the team of Akira Iida, Juichi Wakisaka and Takuto Iguchi. Entered in the SP PRO class, this machine is a model developed in anticipation of future trends.

New Toyota and Lexus sports models arrive approximately every 20 years, and as Akio Toyoda says, “Every 20 years, Toyota develops a new sports car, partly to hand down technologies to the new generation, in much the same way as a shrine is rebuilt every 20 or 30 years. We do not sit down once every 20 years to develop a car though. Development of the Code X is the start of year-by-year improvements in technology with a view 20 years into the future.

The styling is similar to the LFA, but in addition to the 200-millimeter longer and 50-millimeter wider wheelbase, another difference from the LFA is that the Code X uses a full carbon frame for the body. It also uses the LFA’s 4-wheel double wishbone-type suspension, but with a push rod and other systems to bring the vehicle up to full racing specs.

Displacement of the V10 engine has been increased from 4.8 liters to 5.3 liters, which in addition to increasing torque at low and medium speeds, also expands the torque band and improves both ride and handling. The transmission is a newly developed dual-clutch type as well, and shift speed has been improved.

“To me it has greater potential than the LFA. It even has greater potential than the SP9 GT3-class cars aiming for the title of overall winner. Since this is the first year though, we have not been able to bring out its full capabilities,” said Iida. Wakisaka also commented; “Like the LFA in the past, this machine will be refined and improved going forward.”

Some great information there! So just as some of us here had guessed, the Code X is aimed at gradual technology improvements, eyed toward an eventual LFA successor. So it looks like the successor will use race-proven technology from the Code X just like the original LFA did :D!

Also as previously hypothesized by some of us here on the forum, it is indeed using a pushrod suspension setup.

So this is still only early days for the Code X, I can't WAIT to see what they include in the years ahead on the Code X :D.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thanks for all the news and updates everyone. I have to get more versed in the racing program.

Reactions: CIF