Toyota’s Top U.S. Designer Ian Cartabiano to Lead European Studio

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
From Motor Trend:

Ian Cartabiano, chief designer of Toyota’s Calty studio in Newport Beach, California, has been promoted to run the automaker’s ED2 studio in the south of France.

Under the leadership of Cartabiano and Calty president Kevin Hunter, Calty has churned out a string of impressively styled vehicles that has taken the Toyota and Lexus brands away from being perceived solely as makers of bland appliances.

Cartabiano, 43, was the lead designer for the FT-1 concept that previews the next Supra, the LF-LC concept that became the LC 500, and the FT-4X concept that (if built) could give fits to the Jeep Wrangler. Recent production vehicles under his purview were the 2018 C-HR subcompact crossover, the 2018 Camry redesign, and the 2013 Avalon.
One bittersweet note is that Cartabiano’s new role means he will not attend the Detroit auto show later this month, where Lexus will unveil the LF-1 Limitless concept that Cartabiano oversaw.

Cartabiano’s role as President and Director of Design at ED2 Toyota Europe Design & Development is expected to run for three years.

This is pretty major, Cartabiano has been influential in shaping the evolving Lexus design language. Also did the Camry, which I like more and more.

mikeavelli

Reactions
From Motor Trend:

This is pretty major, Cartabiano has been influential in shaping the evolving Lexus design language. Also did the Camry, which I like more and more.

Without that first end the Camry's lines are quite Italianesque.... Great proportions and bucks the trend with larger windows. I also like it.