Toyota to introduce 7-seat Fortuner SUV to the Australian market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though Toyota and Lexus already produce a number of different SUVs, it looks like the Australian market is going to get another nice one, though we probably won't get it here in the U.S.

Here's some more information...and the just-released Press Package:

https://www.pressroom.com.au/press_...ID=2&navSectionID=6&categoryID=1000&kitID=361

New-model-2016-Toyota-Fortuner-pics-front.jpg

2016-Toyota-Fortuner-interior-spyshot.jpg

And here's an interior spy shot.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The Fortuner is considered an affordable, more attainable Toyota SUV, so I'm impressed with how good this redesigned model looks inside and out.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The Fortuner is considered an affordable, more attainable Toyota SUV, so I'm impressed with how good this redesigned model looks inside and out.

Based on the interior spy-shot, I am, too....the interior trim looks better than average for a non-Lexus-badged Toyota.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Looks similar doesn't it?

Maybe in physical size, but, otherwise to me, all three dashes look noticeably different....except for the Corolla and RAV-4 using the same steering wheel, and the Corolla and Fortuner using the same primary-gauges.

That's not to say, though, that the other two interiors are second-rate. I recently did a full-review on a new Corolla, and was generally impressed with its interior.........in fact, I thought it was better then the new RAV-4s.[/QUOTE]

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Looks much better than the 7 seat Sequoia that we have in the US - which seems to be most similar to the Fortuner.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Looks similar doesn't it?
2016_toyota_hilux_interior_australia_01.jpg

Just to let you know, that's a photo of a Toyota Hilux interior. The new Fortuner interior is only in the top-most spyshot with the brown and black interior scheme.

Looks much better than the 7 seat Sequoia that we have in the US - which seems to be most similar to the Fortuner.

Not exactly. The Fortuner is technically most similar to the 4Runner. The Fortuner is based on the Hilux chassis, which is not dramatically different than the Tacoma chassis, which is not dramatically different than the 4Runner chassis.

The Sequoia is based on the Tundra chassis.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Just to let you know, that's a photo of a Toyota Hilux interior. The new Fortuner interior is only in the top-most spyshot with the brown and black interior scheme.

Not exactly. The Fortuner is technically most similar to the 4Runner. The Fortuner is based on the Hilux chassis, which is not dramatically different than the Tacoma chassis, which is not dramatically different than the 4Runner chassis.

The Sequoia is based on the Tundra chassis.

Yeah, but I figured it similar to the Sequoia based on size/7 seat passenger capacity. I don't think 4Runner seats 7.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^4Runner does have a 3 row option (7 seater).

Not worth anything, though :D

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, but I figured it similar to the Sequoia based on size/7 seat passenger capacity. I don't think 4Runner seats 7.

As others have already said so, the 4Runner does have the capability for 7 passenger seating. As for the Fortuner, I can't imagine the third row being all that roomy at all. Likely as roomy as a 4Runner's third row. The Sequoia on the other hand, being much bigger, does have pretty decent 3rd row room.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As others have already said so, the 4Runner does have the capability for 7 passenger seating. As for the Fortuner, I can't imagine the third row being all that roomy at all. Likely as roomy as a 4Runner's third row. The Sequoia on the other hand, being much bigger, does have pretty decent 3rd row room.

Most mid-sized SUVs, whether truck or car-based, weren't really intended for seven seats (certainly not for seven normal-sized or large adults). They have them primarily because of customer demand and/or the ability to carry children or packages.

Oddly enough, I thought one of the best and roomiest third-row seats I've ever encountered in reviews was not in the absolute largest SUVs I've seen (Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition EL, etc.....) but in the somewhat smaller, car-based, but still borderline full-sized GM Triplets...Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia. I didn't actually take physical measurements (they are available, of course, on the vehicle spec-sheets)....but, shoehorning my large 6' 2" and 280-lb. frame back into them, they felt the roomiest and most comfortable for large adults that I have yet sampled. Consumer Reports verified their comfort level.

Last edited: