Toyota Remains Committed To Sedans, Says There Is Still A Market For Them

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

During a panel discussion at Toyota Motor’s North American HQ in Texas, officials reiterated their commitment to sedans at a time when consumers are buying trucks and SUVs in increasing numbers.

In particular, they said investing in sedans is a “good” long term decision as there is and will still be a market for sedans in the future. Officials went on to note that while sedan sales have fallen in the past few years, they seem to have stabilized a bit.

Toyota also stands to benefit from the death of competing sedans such as the Chevrolet Cruze and Impala, Ford Focus and Fusion, and Mazda6 – just to name a few. In essence, the sedan market could consolidate around the remaining entries and this could help to further stabilize sales.

At the end of the day, there are consumers who like sedans and aren’t interested in buying crossovers. There might not be as many of them as there used to be, but they exist and Toyota wants to have something that appeals to them.
I believe that it is a good idea to remain committed to selling sedans (cars) rather than selling only light trucks, as Chevrolet, Buick and Ford have done. While I understand why GM and Ford decided to give up on sedans, I believe that in the long term, it will hurt; any Ford buyer (for example) looking to replace a Fusion or Focus with another car will be forced to shop elsewhere and Ford may lose that buyer forever.

While officials admitted there could be changes to the sedan portfolio in the future, nothing has been decided as of yet. Furthermore, the company is happy having a roughly 20% share of the car market in the United States.
I don't know what this means but I hope that Toyota will not give up selling the Corolla, Camry (or ES for that matter) in North America.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
yes i like RWD. but when RWD is AWD, has automatic transmission, endless electronic gizmos, ugly interior because of the "indispensable" infotainment system, i am just as uninterested, FWD or RWD does change much anymore, or even BEV for that matter.

Reactions
I believe that it is a good idea to remain committed to selling sedans (cars) rather than selling only light trucks, as Chevrolet, Buick and Ford have done. While I understand why GM and Ford decided to give up on sedans, I believe that in the long term, it will hurt; any Ford buyer (for example) looking to replace a Fusion or Focus with another car will be forced to shop elsewhere and Ford may lose that buyer forever.
I would think Ford did their HW and figured that most of their Fusion/Focus buyer moved to a Explorer/Edge/Escape, etc. so I don't think they lost too many customers. I still think that the majority of them have a loyalty to the brand and would just purchase whatever their local store stocks.

I don't know what this means but I hope that Toyota will not give up selling the Corolla, Camry (or ES for that matter) in North America.
Perhaps this is why you see more trims like TRD and XLE/XSE, etc...normal pedestrian grades can only make so much for the bottom line since those are usually sold at discounts (pre-chip shortage) and fleet in large numbers. Its those special trims that help with the margins in which certain buyers will pay more than the typical LE/SE buyer.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
yes i like RWD. but when RWD is AWD, has automatic transmission, endless electronic gizmos, ugly interior because of the "indispensable" infotainment system, i am just as uninterested, FWD or RWD does change much anymore, or even BEV for that matter.
It does change proportions and design though which I also think has a massive impact. Part of the reason why Audi's have longitudinally mounted engines even though are fwd-based. Typically RWD cars have a nice cab-rearward design with shorter front overhangs. Although more modern FWD car proportions have been improving like on the ES and new Civic, and RWD cars getting bigger front overhangs, I'd say the RWD proportions still dominate.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
For me it's not because of the design or the overhang, the EVs overhang can be even better than the FR one's, FR for me is about fun driveability and precise steering, especially at cornering on high speeds, that's one from many points why I always favor FR

Levi

Expert
Reactions
anyway, I think I'd take an FF based AWD sedan over an FR based AWD CUV (unless Lexus makes a GLC Coupe competitor).

we don't know what will happen with LS and IS, but even if one of these cars goes, I will expect a lot more of the ES, in design, luxury and also performance.