Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
I don't think it's fair to say they can't keep up just because they've chosen not to fiddle with what is currently a very successful formula. The Dynamic Force engine lineup is fully competitive, those trucks just aren't getting any of it yet.
Possibly true. Or, did the bean counters force the engineers/planners hand to hold off on new gear?

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
Toyota and Lexus have yet to reveal the extent of the rumored 2020 model year refresh for 4Runner and GX, so perhaps those will see powertrain updates. In the crossover front, perhaps the 4th-gen Highlander brings some noteworthy powertrain updates.
Wishful thinking I’m afraid. Lots of folks thought the 2020 Tacoma was getting a new tranny or something which never happened. My guess, until the new trucks ride on TNGA, it’s status quo.

Reactions
Toyota and Lexus have yet to reveal the extent of the rumored 2020 model year refresh for 4Runner and GX, so perhaps those will see powertrain updates. In the crossover front, perhaps the 4th-gen Highlander brings some noteworthy powertrain updates.
Don't get me wrong, I'm holding onto the sliver of hope that they haven't done an official press release yet. I'm really hoping that they wanted a big stir with the full details when the time comes, and that they didn't want it to be overshadowed by the other announcements. Once again though, very wishful thinking and very unlikely.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Toyota and Lexus have yet to reveal the extent of the rumored 2020 model year refresh for 4Runner and GX, so perhaps those will see powertrain updates.
Don't get me wrong, I'm holding onto the sliver of hope that they haven't done an official press release yet. I'm really hoping that they wanted a big stir with the full details when the time comes, and that they didn't want it to be overshadowed by the other announcements. Once again though, very wishful thinking and very unlikely.
Wishful thinking I’m afraid. Lots of folks thought the 2020 Tacoma was getting a new tranny or something which never happened. My guess, until the new trucks ride on TNGA, it’s status quo.
I know full well that Toyota and Lexus aren't going to put all-new Dynamic Force powertrains on a final facelift for the current, ancient 4Runner and GX. My suggestion of an "updated powertrain" for the SUV twins would be following the 3rd-gen Tacoma playbook and replacing the 1GR-FE 4-liter V6 / 5-speed automatic combo with the 2GR-FKS 3.5-liter V6 / 6-speed auto. Probably a boneheaded move given all the complaints and failed TSBs for the latter powertrain in the current Tacoma, but that may well be the plan.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I could be wrong but would a 1GR-FKS or FSE have a fundamentally different torque curve - higher revving and less power down low? Which is the point/placement of that engine?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I could be wrong but would a 1GR-FKS or FSE have a fundamentally different torque curve - higher revving and less power down low? Which is the point/placement of that engine?
That's what happened anyway when the current Tacoma went from 1GR-FE to 2GR-FKS. Making a 1GR-FKS would at least compensate a bit for that with roughly 500cc more displacement.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
While it's an old engine, my only real complaint with the 1GR-FE is the 5AT. With a 6 or even 8AT, it would be a great powertrain for the 4Runner (and Tacoma). 270hp/278lb-ft is plenty... it's just hooked up to a transmission that acts like it's powered by hamsters.

Reactions
While it's an old engine, my only real complaint with the 1GR-FE is the 5AT. With a 6 or even 8AT, it would be a great powertrain for the 4Runner (and Tacoma). 270hp/278lb-ft is plenty... it's just hooked up to a transmission that acts like it's powered by hamsters.

My sentiments exactly.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
1GR-FKS would be the best case scenario, a hypothetical 1GR-FKS would be making slightly more power and 15% more torque at the low end. However the 2GR-FKS was already developed and just required a different tune for the trucks, plus it is downsized and solves the biggest complain with the 1GR-FE (poor MPG). We also see Taco's competitors going for passenger car-like engines, the 3.6L in the Colorado revs higher than the 2GR-FSE. The engine itself is okay, though it had one of the sloppiest tunes of all Toyota engines. The biggest problem is the transmission.

Reactions
1GR-FKS would be the best case scenario, a hypothetical 1GR-FKS would be making slightly more power and 15% more torque at the low end. However the 2GR-FKS was already developed and just required a different tune for the trucks, plus it is downsized and solves the biggest complain with the 1GR-FE (poor MPG). We also see Taco's competitors going for passenger car-like engines, the 3.6L in the Colorado revs higher than the 2GR-FSE. The engine itself is okay, though it had one of the sloppiest tunes of all Toyota engines. The biggest problem is the transmission.

The placard in front of the 4Runner TRD PRO display at the Chicago Auto Show says 4.0L V6, but no other powertrain info such as the engine name or transmission; is this still a possibility that they'll announce an update closer to release?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A lot of people complained about the Colorado being "too high revving" or "having a car engine" but after driving the Tacoma and Colorado back to back for extended periods, the Colorado has a vastly superior powertrain. The power delivery is much more linear, and you can absolutely feel the extra horsepower. Shifts are also smooth and fast.

Tacoma is totally dead before 4K, and then gives you a prompt kick in the ass, so ironically, it behaves much more like a sedan engine that is high revving.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
https://autorai.nl/groen-licht-voor-toyota-corolla-grmn-wordt-geen-hybride/

A Corolla GRMN would be nice, but I hope it isn't an expensive(for a hot hatch), limited edition model. Also I wonder what are the other GR vehicles in the pipeline.

Here's the Google translate:

Toyota will soon have a Corolla GRMN based on the hatchback. That's what Toshio Kanei, Deputy Chief Designer of Toyota Motor Corporation, confirmed in an interview with AutoRAI.nl.

First Corolla GR Sport

Toyota first presents the Corolla GR Sport at the Geneva Motor Show (7-17 March). A version with sportier looks, but with the powertrains that we already know, such as the 2.0 High Power Hybrid with 180 hp. At a later stage, Toyota comes with a full-fledged hot hatchback based on the Corolla Hatchback.

Toyota GAZOO Racing

Kanei: "We are currently investigating what would be most effective for the European market, but a Corolla GRMN is certainly realistic. We are already working on that. The development takes place under the supervision of Toyota GAZOO Racing. This department has included the Corolla GRMN in the future plan, but for now the project is still in the planning stage. "

No hybrid powertrain

Kanei can also confirm the following: "The Toyota Corolla GRMN does not get a hybrid powertrain." Kanei-san can not yet tell which engine the top version is. In any case, no extra peppery version of the 1.8-liter four-cylinder from the Yaris GRMN. "We want more power, an even sportier engine and lower CO2 emissions," says Kanei. "A four-cylinder turbo engine with an engine capacity of about 1.6 liters can be interesting." Peugeot and Hyundai pick from a 1.6-liter turbo engine 270 hp.

Global car

According to Kanei, a Corolla GRMN becomes a global car, but Toyota carefully examines the markets where the car is delivered. "We have to look carefully but CO2 emissions. We look at the opportunities per market, "says Kanei-san.

Relatively short development time

Kanei: "The car has a relatively short development time, because the basis is already there. TNGA forms an excellent basis. Developing the powertrain takes more time. "According to Kanei there is a chance that the Corolla GRMN will become a limited edition, as the Yaris GRMN also was.

Just a little patience

And do we have to wait a long time? Well, an exact launching period can not be called Kanei yet. "In my view, we can best bring the GRMN into the middle of the Corolla life cycle," he says.

GRMN

"No more boring cars", Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda once said. Toyota hopes to achieve this with the arrival of the label Gazoo Racing (GR) and GRMN as superlative of GR. GRMN stands for GAZOO Racing Masters or Nürburgring and can be seen as the M, AMG or RS of Toyota. Toyota is investing heavily in Gazoo Racing and GRMN and will introduce many more GR (MN) models in the future, because according to Kanei there are several models on the planning of Toyota GAZOO Racing.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As @ssun30 knows, Japanese media has been talking about 1.6t for a long time, with 240-260hp, but often as 3cly which didn't make much sense Now with chief engineer mentioning 4cly it all falls into place.

It should end up in all similar sized TMC vehicles.

As to limited models, that was because new Yaris is coming this year

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
As @ssun30 knows, Japanese media has been talking about 1.6t for a long time, with 240-260hp, but often as 3cly which didn't make much sense Now with chief engineer mentioning 4cly it all falls into place.

It should end up in all similar sized TMC vehicles.

As to limited models, that was because new Yaris is coming this year

TNGA Yaris is coming this year?