Reactions
Whoops. I may have confused myself with the 4runner forums.

4runner forums had a guest that suggesting a diesel may be coming. Someone stated an insider was stating toyota may introduce an inline 4 (possibly the one already provided abroad) to the states. But, I am unsure if that is plausible.

As for as the inline 6. Ignore that, please.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The rumoured TT V8?

01_06_en.jpg

2 stronger than 3.5l twin-turbo engines are missing.... so definetly not just v8tt...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
01_06_en.jpg

Looks like we can also label the one to the immediate right of the Dynamic Force Engine (2.0L) as Dynamic Force Engine (1.5L) (M15C-FKS)?

Reactions
This was from someone who is a known reliable insider source:B7C2C472-49E5-4A7F-A6AF-FD8CF7B48BBC.jpg Can anyone shed some light as to whether or not it has been confirmed if powertrain will indeed remain unchanged for the upcoming 4Runner refresh?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This was from someone who is a known reliable insider source:View attachment 3144 Can anyone shed some light as to whether or not it has been confirmed if powertrain will indeed remain unchanged for the upcoming 4Runner refresh?

We don't know quite yet, but should around June/July. Trust me, I am eagerly awaiting the same information :)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Toyota is releasing a special edition Land Cruiser for 2020... so... any update/refresh with V35A-FTS would have to be 2020 as a 2021 at the earliest, at this point.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/23/2020-toyota-land-cruiser-heritage-edition/
Per Carmaker1's most recent info, the TNGA-F Land Cruiser 300 is due during the 2020 calendar year (2021 model year). I'd say this Heritage Edition (which purportedly celebrates 60+ years of Land Cruiser) also doubles as a fond farewell and last hurrah for the current Land Cruiser 200.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Did they just say they are going coil spring or even IRS on the next Tundra/Sequoia?

3RZ

Reactions
If you look closely at the photos, there’s a trailing link and a shock mount so I think coils and or air suspension is in the works. Independent suspension would decrease payload so I doubt they go that route.

There is a gap in the lower front fascia, below the radiator which is curious to me as if there was an intercooler hiding underneath

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Will going to coil springs or air springs negatively affect maximum payload capacity?

Yes. But pickup trucks in USA have very low payload relative to their size anyway so that's not a big concern. For example the full-size Tundra has lower payload capacity than the mid-size Hilux.

The trend to use coil springs just reflects the unfortunate fact that Americans no longer buy pickup trucks for their original purpose.

P.S. Let's stay on topic, there is a separate thread in Garage for pickup discussions.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That is a misleading title and totally missed what the original source said.

It hasn't been done already because 1) they waited for the Prime to demonstrate the long-term reliability and safety of Li-ion pack. A burning LS would be very bad PR and Lexus relies more on brand image than Toyota 2) Li-ion packs only came below NiMH price recently 3) the Prime's pack won't offer usable range on heavier Lexus vehicles, it was barely sufficient for the Prime which has a lot of weight reduction 4) majority of PHEVs today are terrible in usability and value anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions
Looks like no powertrain updates across the Toyota truck and SUV line for MY2020. Disappointing.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
Its sad that toyota cant keep up regarding powertrain advancements. I know many of us like the fact that they are reliable but come on, really??

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Its sad that toyota cant keep up regarding powertrain advancements. I know many of us like the fact that they are reliable but come on, really??

I don't think it's fair to say they can't keep up just because they've chosen not to fiddle with what is currently a very successful formula. The Dynamic Force engine lineup is fully competitive, those trucks just aren't getting any of it yet.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Looks like no powertrain updates across the Toyota truck and SUV line for MY2020. Disappointing.
Toyota and Lexus have yet to reveal the extent of the rumored 2020 model year refresh for 4Runner and GX, so perhaps those will see powertrain updates. In the crossover front, perhaps the 4th-gen Highlander brings some noteworthy powertrain updates.