Toyota employing 'influencer marketing' to adapt to post-coronavirus market

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If you aren't aware, influencer marketing is an online livestream campaign where internet celebrities promote a product. I don't know how widespread it is globally but in China it's the fastest growing advertising sector with a market size growth of ¥140b ($20b). Here we call it "直播带货" (livestream goods selling). Since the coronavirus makes most offline promotion events impossible and most car shows are cancelled, car makers in China are joining the influencer marketing hype. FAW-Toyota is the biggest promoter.

The company launched a massive online influencer marketing campaign since the end of April. Over a period of 34 days, 288 internet celebrities held 1336 livestreams with 5.3 million views and landing 21 thousands orders. This past weekend they sold 11k RAV4s in one livestream alone.

I have to say even though most 'livestream selling' are quite cringy to watch, it is quite effective since the cost to set up is extremely low and the it's basically a much more efficient and interactive modern evolution of TV selling.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
So I have seen the rise of platform specific live streaming with products upto a certain price mark how are they coping with the logistics with a vehicle? Are they able to confirm those 11k orders into actual solid units?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Genesis is doing a quasi-influencer approach for their US marketing. The major differences are that it's John Legend and his wife Chrissy Tegan instead of internet celebs, and their material isn't livestreamed (it's YouTube videos and traditional TV ads). But it plays similarly to influencer videos; lots of them having fun with the cars instead of rattling off specs like Doug DeMuro or Tyler Hoover might.

Given that a lot of people think Scotty Kilmer already is working for Toyota maybe this is something waiting to happen. 😆

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
As someone who works in/around fintech, any system that allows for large scale mass manipulation through "grassroots influencers" terrifies me for the potential for abuse.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've been used as an "influencer "(I hate that term lol) and work with many as well. It continues to be a solid strategy for companies to use. Once used correctly it is a powerful tool. Unfortunately a lot of it is still based on likes/comments which to an expert, is just part of the puzzle.