Toyota Brand Dropping V8 Engines by 2023, w/ Two Tiered Replacement Plan

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Having originated the rumor of the dropping of V8 engine in vehicles below $90,000, garnered via a few sources both alongside and within the Toyota organization, forgive me for gloating about being right (join me sista @Gecko 😉).

And I almost never rely on The Drive for credible information but they have mentioned things that I knew somewhat, but didn't publicize and it is damn correct by being in greater detail.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Some of this information is really wrong.

"GR" Turbo V6? We already know that's not the case, and the author reiterates it several times.

The prototype of a new TT V6? It's known, it's here: V35A-FTS is not a prototype.
Like some sources, they have the core information, but f**k up the details. I can imagine they looked at their current series GR name of the V6s aside from V35A and obtusely made weak inferences.

Just like the 2UZ being different from LS and GS 400 1UZ, it would have been considered a prototype engine in 1996-97. The upcoming engine is definitely not going to be 100% identical to the LS 500 engine, but as usual American auto media loses the details and messes up the message by adding opinionated takes.

It's why I always proceed with caution regarding reports on Japanese brand stuff if it's not from Japan. A lot of the automotive readership, stupidly attack me for not wanting just to hear the opinions versus the facts (ie Jalopnik, TFL, etc).

I'm not very popular on car news sites or Disqus because of my staunch criticism of misleading reports, no thanks to peanut gallery.

Last edited:

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
An interesting article. Pre building engines does not really seem like a Toyota thing to do with all their just in time philosophies. That said, I have no doubt that there is no new V8 in the future for the Tundra.

Reactions
Having originated the rumor of the dropping of V8 engine in vehicles below $90,000, garnered via a few sources both alongside and within the Toyota organization, forgive me for gloating about being right (join me sista @Gecko 😉).

And I almost never rely on The Drive for credible information but they have mentioned things that I knew somewhat, but didn't publicize and it is damn correct by being in greater detail.

So wait this is only applicable to Toyota and not Lexus?

This is still bad regardless as there is still room to make a relatively fuel-efficient V8, Ford, Chevrolet and Ram are prime examples of this.

They're going to lose sales from the V8 lovers who are against the idea of downsizing and just want a simple engine that powers their workhorse truck. The current 5.7 is archaic and absolutely garbage on fuel economy, I don't get why Toyota doesn't want to step up to the plate and resorts to move to a different idea (downsizing to a turbocharged V6) instead of being in something that they definitely have the opportunity to compete in. They're perfectly capable to be in the fight for at least 2nd or 3rd place in the sales race (let's face it, nobody is ever going to beat the F150). The only time that Toyota ever steps up to anything in the car market is when either when everyone is making garbage products in that segment or if that segment barely exists from the options of cars being dried up. The GR Yaris is Exhibit A. The Mirai is Exhibit B.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So wait this is only applicable to Toyota and not Lexus?

This is still bad regardless as there is still room to make a relatively fuel-efficient V8, Ford, Chevrolet and Ram are prime examples of this.

They're going to lose sales from the V8 lovers who are against the idea of downsizing and just want a simple engine that powers their workhorse truck. The current 5.7 is archaic and absolutely garbage on fuel economy, I don't get why Toyota doesn't want to step up to the plate and resorts to move to a different idea (downsizing to a turbocharged V6) instead of being in something that they definitely have the opportunity to compete in. They're perfectly capable to be in the fight for at least 2nd or 3rd place in the sales race (let's face it, nobody is ever going to beat the F150). The only time that Toyota ever steps up to anything in the car market is when either when everyone is making garbage products in that segment or if that segment barely exists from the options of cars being dried up. The GR Yaris is Exhibit A. The Mirai is Exhibit B.
You see, the problem is the archaic 3UR is so good replacing it with a detuned 5.0L 2UR would be a downgrade, just like how the 3.5L 2GR was a downgrade for the Tacoma/Prado. While 2UR would still be competitive against the Ford Coyote, it would not be well-received by 3UR loyalists. Upgrading 3UR with the ESTEC package (VVT-iW, D-4S, water-cooled EGR, integrated headers etc.) would increase its capability a lot but not do a lot to address the fuel economy issue for 2020s. If they upgraded the 3UR-FE to 3UR-FKS in 2015 it would make sense (Nissan upgraded the VK56 back then), but it's a bit too late now.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
. The current 5.7 is archaic and absolutely garbage on fuel economy, I don't get why Toyota doesn't want to step up to the plate and resorts to move to a different idea (downsizing to a turbocharged V6) instead of being in something that they definitely have the opportunity to compete in.

So an interesting thing about the Tundra 5.7 engine. The cost to operate $$$ (despite the less MPG) is the exact same as the 5.7 in the RAM....All EPA measurements. The difference is that in order for the RAM to get the same $$ cost to operate, it requires premium fuel. Same with the GM 6.2 V8....I do agree, the 15MPG of the Tundra is tiring, but it ends up being the same $$ cost based on EPA.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So an interesting thing about the Tundra 5.7 engine. The cost to operate $$$ (despite the less MPG) is the exact same as the 5.7 in the RAM....All EPA measurements. The difference is that in order for the RAM to get the same $$ cost to operate, it requires premium fuel. Same with the GM 6.2 V8....I do agree, the 15MPG of the Tundra is tiring, but it ends up being the same $$ cost based on EPA.
I think it's the same for 2GR-FKS vs. 1GR-FE on Tacoma/Prado. 2GR consumes less but uses more expensive fuel. So they end up cost about the same, but with 2GR you lose the low end torque and have a terrible transmission, so it's actually a downgrade.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
I think it's the same for 2GR-FKS vs. 1GR-FE on Tacoma/Prado. 2GR consumes less but uses more expensive fuel. So they end up cost about the same, but with 2GR you lose the low end torque and have a terrible transmission, so it's actually a downgrade.

Yes could be. For this year, Toyota changed the tuning for the Tacoma So maybe it drives better today. An Interesting thing about the 2GR in the Tacoma, is that it uses a hydraulic steering system, I don’t think it ever used a hydraulic in any of the car applications.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yes could be. For this year, Toyota changed the tuning for the Tacoma So maybe it drives better today. An Interesting thing about the 2GR in the Tacoma, is that it uses a hydraulic steering system, I don’t think it ever used a hydraulic in any of the car applications.
All of their utility vehicles use hydraulic power steering, which is why they could not use lane keep assist.