Toyota appoints Lexus Chief as ceo

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Good lord! Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Akio has brought back Toyota on a map and he did an amazing job but in return he turned our Lexus into Toyota+++ and gave up on fighting in the real Tier 1. Honestly I do not care about Toyota products like at all but I am in love with RWD Lexus cars so I truly hope this is a great thing. With the whole Lexus electrification incoming this might be a good choice.

Electrification will be hard especially in premium segment where you need BEV technology and old school luxury know-how to be relevant. Lexus needs to maintain that interior and exterior analogue craftsmanship in digital age. Cutting corners in interior is Tesla's way of doing things and everyone who tries to replicate that without offering Tesla's drivetrain specs is doomed. I guess bz4x is perfect example of them playing the Tesla game and failing because they think EV buyers just want a huge infotainment and bunch of soft touch materials covering the bland surfaces. Had they offered Crown interior in bz4x I think outcome would have been different. It's a good looking car, it's a big car, EV specifications are not class leading in anyway and in order to compensate for that Toyota should have given the car a nice plush interior instead of typical Tesla/Chinese slap a tablet and call it a day. I'm afraid even worse fate awaits RZ450e because it kept all the traits of bz4x design philosophy but it's the one that has to carry the premium badge. It's one more burden to overcome.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Also, come to think of it, with Toyoda now on the board it might make things easier for Koji Sato to get interesting products approved with the bean counters Since Toyoda is an enthusiast himself (Fingers crossed).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Nice, more enthusiast leverage on the board

With the caveat that there's general agreement that the LS has too much enthusiast leverage for the segment. The S Class formula is it, and even BMW has been unable to convince buyers otherwise.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
With the caveat that there's general agreement that the LS has too much enthusiast leverage for the segment. The S Class formula is it, and even BMW has been unable to convince buyers otherwise.

Because it is not well-engineered enough lol. The new W223 raised the bar to a whole new lvl in ride comfort while almost matching BMW in handling. See this video I found not too long ago even if you don't understand mandarin you can tell by the body motion from different vehicles in slalom test and also there's G meter measuring vibration of each vehicle (the lower the better). Objectively the S-class hands down is the best in every category.

7:20 slalom
13:41 vibration test

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yes, Lexus needs to get back to their previous levels of NVH and ride quality. The fall in NVH in their latest generations of products is just bad.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Cut and Paste from my FB post….

I can’t say enough congratulations to Koji Sato, the new President of Toyota. I am truly elated as a Toyota/Lexus/car enthusiast that a fellow car enthusiast is again at the top of the company. This was announced last week and set the automotive world on fire as the previous President is the legendary Aiko Toyoda, also a great car enthusiast and a man who has led the way to bring back top quality and bring back enthusiast cars to Toyota and Lexus. As he moves to his new role or Chairman he can rest a bit easy knowing he groomed his successor for success, which is one of the ultimate tests of true leadership.

I met Sato-San during a Lexus event I was invited to in Ibiza, Spain, 6 years ago. Seems like yesterday. There they had a non traditional press event for the new LC 500. If you are unaware, Koji is the father of the LC, one of the rare concept cars that comes to production nearly untouched. Stunning to look at, high quality integrity and stunning to drive with its new platform, new 10 speed matched to a familiar 5.0 V-8. A far cry from the old SC 430(no disrespect intended!).

It was my dream Lexus sans the LFA. Mike Tripp who was one of the heads of Lexus Europe and a friend introduced me to Koji at the first dinner. To my surprise he responded “Hi Forsythe san”. My jaw dropped as I had no idea how he knew me. I also knew he wasn’t prepped by Lexus as they then asked “wait how do you know Mike”??? Koji replied ”Mike san, I folllow you on Facebook and I love what you post. Thanks for all your support of Lexus”. It was one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard. It also let me know he was different and in tune with social media and car enthusiasts like myself. I wasn’t sure how yet, but I promised myself to buy an LC. Not just because I like this incredible car but I will buy one to support Koji and add my small piece of monetary encouragement to build more cars like it. Toyota also doesn’t get paid by sponsorship bucks lol. (I have now bought two and don’t be shocked at a third)

Being privy to Koji’s private social accounts over the years, the man is seemingly at the racetrack every weekend. He’s also always tuning one of his old cars like his MKIV Supra and AE86. He travels all over the world and again seems to be at racing events all the time and taking pictures. It’s reassuring to know this is real car guy no different than myself or so many of you who are reading this.

At last years Toyota’s HQ Confidential in July, we saw each other for the first time in years. I apologize if I break the rules and protocols but I normally just walk up and speak and always get a selfie. Just two car guys catching up and two passionate about Toyota/Lexus in a room now surrounded by that same energy. During the Lexus dealer meeting in August, we caught up again and he got excited letting me know the future of Lexus was bright. The next day during a tribute to the legendary Bob Carter and an incredible display of the future by brilliant people like Andrew Gilleland, Vinay Shahani and Dejuan Ross. I thought to myself “wow car enthusiasts keep getting promoted”. Koji took the stage. We all learned a bit more of Koji personally and a couple things stuck with me. One, in university he loved cars so much he purchased a car and figured out various ways to pay for it and all the expenses of car ownership while in college. Sounds familiar to me. True car enthusiasts do irrational things of this nature as we just love cars. Love is love. Again many of us here can relate. Next he gave an impassioned thanks to the USA employees and dealer group for standing behind the brand during tough times including the Covid years. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t holding back tears. And I dared look around because it wasn’t just me. That speech could only be made by someone who truly loves the company he works for and someone who truly loves cars. What better person to now lead!

So I close this beyond excited to see the next decade plus of Toyota/Lexus. And I felt compelled to write this so my network knows Koji Sato is truly one of us. A passionate car enthusiast.

-m-

(words above are my own opinion and thoughts just in case anyone thinks otherwise)1BEFC7E8-856E-4711-B69F-CE9208C97258.jpegE7A1BCF1-5F32-4D95-85D0-0338CB5FA6FF.jpegC46CAC3B-9426-46BE-B5AC-0F6A86BFC3E5.jpeg

Reactions
This was so unbelievably wholesome Mike. I thought perhaps Daisuke Toyoda would take the helm after Toyoda-san. But perhaps he will take the spot after Sato-san, which I hope the latter will be our CEO for a very long time.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
This was so unbelievably wholesome Mike. I thought perhaps Daisuke Toyoda would take the helm after Toyoda-san. But perhaps he will take the spot after Sato-san, which I hope the latter will be our CEO for a very long time.

I'm sure one day Daisuke will become CEO of Toyota just like his dad Akio, his grandfather Shoichiro and of course his great grandfather (Kiichiro) who started the Toyota automobile corporation. Kiichiro's father (Sakichi) started the Toyota automatic loom company.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Daisuke's only 34 so he's nowhere near ready to be the CEO. The Toyoda family tradition is to start from the bottom and go up the corporate ladder. Akio started as a car salesman and built a humble online used car selling site called Gazoo.

Daisuke will probably take over in 20 years time. By then the car industry will be so different. That's why Akio put him into Woven Planet Holdings which is Toyota's autonomous driving subsidiary and is being trained under Woven Planet CEO James Kuffner who is a silicon valley tech person.