Toyota and Hino to Jointly Develop Heavy-Duty Fuel Cell Truck

Will1991

Reactions
20200323_01_01-1.jpg

"The heavy-duty fuel cell truck in this joint development project is based on Hino Profia, and is being developed taking maximum advantage of the technologies both Toyota and Hino have cultivated over the years. The chassis is specially designed with the optimum packaging for a fuel cell vehicle, and steps are being taken through comprehensive weight reduction to ensure a sufficient load capacity. The powertrain is equipped with two Toyota fuel cell stacks that have been newly developed for Toyota's next Mirai and includes vehicle driving control that applies heavy-duty hybrid vehicle technologies, developed by Hino. Also, cruising range will be set at approximately 600 km, aiming to meet high standards in both environmental performance and practicality as a commercial vehicle. "

Source

In my opinion, one of the best FCEV implementation, on a heavy-duty truck. Current battery cell technology is around 250Wh/kg, it's almost impossible to build a truck with proper range while keeping a decent payload with current legislation (already softened for alternative fueled trucks).

I've a lot of questions regarding Tesla Semi economic viability. Considering some urban electric buses need around 125kWh/100km with less than 19TON GVW...

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
20200323_01_01-1.jpg

"The heavy-duty fuel cell truck in this joint development project is based on Hino Profia, and is being developed taking maximum advantage of the technologies both Toyota and Hino have cultivated over the years. The chassis is specially designed with the optimum packaging for a fuel cell vehicle, and steps are being taken through comprehensive weight reduction to ensure a sufficient load capacity. The powertrain is equipped with two Toyota fuel cell stacks that have been newly developed for Toyota's next Mirai and includes vehicle driving control that applies heavy-duty hybrid vehicle technologies, developed by Hino. Also, cruising range will be set at approximately 600 km, aiming to meet high standards in both environmental performance and practicality as a commercial vehicle. "

Source

In my opinion, one of the best FCEV implementation, on a heavy-duty truck. Current battery cell technology is around 250Wh/kg, it's almost impossible to build a truck with proper range while keeping a decent payload with current legislation (already softened for alternative fueled trucks).

I've a lot of questions regarding Tesla Semi economic viability. Considering some urban electric buses need around 125kWh/100km with less than 19TON GVW...
Not to mention that a hydrogen-powered heavy-duty fuel cell truck can be refuelled in much less time (similar time as refuelling a gas or diesel truck) than a battery electric vehicle.

How long will it take to recharge/refuel the Tesla Semi (how many hours)? Or will Tesla give the Semi more than one recharging port so that 2 or more charging stations can be used at once to shorten recharging time?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Fuel cell trucks will have MASSIVE operating cost advantage when the age of autonomous trucks come. Autonomous trucks operate 24/7 (assuming regulations around the world don't force a 'safety operator' just to keep truck driver jobs), so 5-minute refueling will be an irresistible advantage over even 30-minute charging for truck operators. Not to mention they will have HUGE payload advantage over a battery electric truck due to much lighter powertrain components. 1 MW charging stations needed to keep those battery electric trucks running would be prohibitively expensive to build, while FC trucks can just use the same hydrogen fueling station as regular passenger vehicles for trucks.

Battery electric vehicles just don't scale well in commercial applications. The Semi is Tesla's worst investment so far, should have spent all that engineering resources on expanding its SUV line instead.

Will1991

Reactions
@Sulu , tesla is developing a "MegaCharger" for this and it has been seen charging from 2 or 3 SuC's at the same time.

See, MegaCharger (maybe 1MW charging rate?):
tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port.jpg

More than 1 SuC:
Tesla-Semi-extension-cord-e1535204428581.jpg

@ssun30 , usually when I say I've lot of questions regarding Tesla Semi everyone goes against me, but working within transportation sector, I just don't see it... There are trucks working 24/7, and the price for this small-run eletric trucks from conventional OEM are quite big.... Really big comparing to a normal diesel one...

Last edited: