Throwback: The 1997 Lexus SLV Crossover Concept

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Throwback: The 1997 Lexus SLV Crossover Concept
18-04-05-lexus-slv-concept-rx-300.jpg

A preview of the industry-changing RX crossover.
View the original article post

mikeavelli

Reactions
I still remember seeing it in Motor Trend with those funky wheels and wing. Seemed quite futuristic at the time with the open window design. The interior has that sweeping wood and infotainment screen. Who would have thought it would revolutionize not just Lexus, but the luxury and automotive industry. Experts have to get past their bias and include the original RX as one of the most influential vehicles ever made.

Long ago I surprised my mom with the first generation and she loved it. Was quite the workhorse. Now that size RX is the size of the NX and the RX has clearly completely elevated itself (hybrid, F-Sport, L etc).

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Both this and HPS debuted alongside each other on February 9, 1997, pretty much production cars with some glitz added on (explains rapid "transition") compared to the LF-LC. I look forward to covering development of the 1RX from April 1993 to June 1997 in the coming weeks, as both the LS and RX have solid history.

For all the "bland" accusations towards Lexus of yore, I must admit as a kid back in 1997-1998, when the first sights of RX were appearing, I was quite intimidated by the design. It wasn't particularly pretty and was rather aggressive like the current RX. It was really the 2nd generation XU30, that went "tame" and lost the 4x4 two-tone look.

Found this interesting "concept" years ago, which was quite something else and a good hint.

rx300_p1.jpg
rx300_p2.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Nice Crossover, also to most off road capable RX. A pity today Crossovers and SUVs do not live up to their full potential.