3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The way TMC replayced diesel with hybrid in normal cars, so do they no want to do with trucks, which is the right move. A survey in Australia, showed the market is waiting/accepts hybrid trucks, namely a hybrid Hilux has potential demand. But they should not skimp on power. Reliability of hybrid at TMC has proven itself, it now has to do the same in trucks. The diesels however being so complex compared to old ones, have their fair amount of issues, namely Toyotas DPF failures.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Time to revive this thread again lol. Has anyone heard any updated news or timelines? Still thinking February 2021 for a debut, on sale late November of 2021? I reread quite a few posts through here and a lot of them refer to powertrain and cost. The consistent rumor is that the V8 is going away. I’ll have to see it to believe it. As regards to cost I think Toyota is going to need to be very careful with how they play that one. For interests sakes I priced out an F150 XL 4x4 with STX package and came to $48,400. An F150 XLT Hybrid 4x4 with sport package was $56,500ish. A Silverado Custom TrailBoss 4x4 was tight around $45k and the Tundra SR5 TRD Sport 4x4 I priced was $47,800ish. New truck prices are ridiculous but I feel like the Tundra is the best value. It has more options over the other two I listed with the exception of the hybrid so I think Toyota will need to be careful with how hard it jacks up the price on the new model. Time will tell. Trying to be patient for the reveal. Any inside scoop, new rumors or timelines would be much appreciated. Take care.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Time to revive this thread again lol. Has anyone heard any updated news or timelines? Still thinking February 2021 for a debut, on sale late November of 2021? I reread quite a few posts through here and a lot of them refer to powertrain and cost. The consistent rumor is that the V8 is going away. I’ll have to see it to believe it. As regards to cost I think Toyota is going to need to be very careful with how they play that one. For interests sakes I priced out an F150 XL 4x4 with STX package and came to $48,400. An F150 XLT Hybrid 4x4 with sport package was $56,500ish. A Silverado Custom TrailBoss 4x4 was tight around $45k and the Tundra SR5 TRD Sport 4x4 I priced was $47,800ish. New truck prices are ridiculous but I feel like the Tundra is the best value. It has more options over the other two I listed with the exception of the hybrid so I think Toyota will need to be careful with how hard it jacks up the price on the new model. Time will tell. Trying to be patient for the reveal. Any inside scoop, new rumors or timelines would be much appreciated. Take care.

V8 is done. V35A-FTS/10AT and TT V6 hybrid.

I wouldn't expect the Tundra to be a value proposition... no Toyota 4x4s are, and Toyota has no incentive to play hardball with Ford, Chevy and RAM on price. Right now, Toyota's price "advantage" is primarily because they are so far behind the competition with the technology and options that command upmarket pricing, short of TRD PRO. Just like the unibody products, we can expect TNGA-F products to launch with the best of the best from safety technology to premium features and drivetrain/platform construction. It won't be cheap.

Considering the economics, Tundra is a much more expensive product for Toyota to build than the F-150 is for Ford, or the Silverado is for Chevy. If anything, I think it will be slightly more expensive than similar trims of those competitors. Plus, by this point, Toyota knows they aren't going to conquest many American truck buyers, but are catering to the existing Tundra base as well as move-ups from the Tacoma and 4Runner.

Reveal date is probably "wait and see" based on coronavirus, but it will be available to buy a little over a year from now.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Cool thing about Tundra would be if they launch it in some other markets, like they did with Avalon, Highlander, etc.
From Wikipedia:

As of 2015, the Toyota Tundra is sold in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Honduras, Bolivia, Chile, and the French territory of New Caledonia in LHD only.

The Toyota Tundra has a grey import presence in several countries that include Japan, China, Australia, The Philippines, Cambodia, Switzerland, The Middle East and Sweden.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It will definitely sell here given the huge Land Cruiser customer base...currently it's only limited by parallel import quotas. The Taco, 4Runner, Tundra, people crave these unique USDM trucks to stand out from the Prado crowd despite the huge displacement tax. I can see the 3.5 turbo become very popular among the offroad people. Lexus hybrids will fill the Double Credit requirements making the Tundra 3.5 much more viable.

Prior to 2019 there was an annoying regulation that pickup trucks must have a canopy to be counted as a passenger car. With just the bed the owner needs to have ugly commercial vehicle markings on the driver's door. Now pickup trucks can be registered as passenger cars and there has been a surge in F-150 sales as well as comfort-oriented trucks from local brands.

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
You all make great points. In one of Mike Sweers recent interviews he mentioned the truck market growing in Australia and the complexities with getting a truck into market in new places. I think that with the global platform it will be easier to make right hand drives and they might aim to take the Tundra on a more global market. Just a thought

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The pickup market is really starting to explode in China. The hottest model is the Great Wall Pao that sells 5k per month. For less than ¥200k ($30k) you get a 252hp/385N.m 2.0T gasoline or 160hp/400N.m 2.0T diesel, 6-speed manual, part-time 4x4, three lockers, CRAWL control, torque vectoring, offroad damper with external reservoir, factory skid plate, snorkel, winch, and rock sliders. It is a truck designed from the ground up by a team of offroad enthusiasts. The hype around this thing is real. It's also a proof that American manufacturers (including Toyota) are over-charging for their 'pro offroad models'.

Toyota should bring not only the Tundra but the Hilux as well. They can easily charge three times the price of the Pao with similar features and get away with it.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
With Tundra/Sequoia getting TTV6 and hybrid, any chance of the Sequoia at least selling in Europe? It is not a rare sight to see imported Sequoias in Europe.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With Tundra/Sequoia getting TTV6 and hybrid, any chance of the Sequoia at least selling in Europe? It is not a rare sight to see imported Sequoias in Europe.

Hah. Well, I am already surprised that they will sell Highlander in Europe.

But I think they will leave this market to Land cruiser Prado and 300, which makes more sense.

Reactions
Toyota is in a bad position.
Toyota will have to push for EV truck soon. They are way behind. On everything.
Last from my friends, the EV truck isnt even in consideration. Yet.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Electric pickup trucks are a gimmick. There are way higher priority cars to electrify.

The electric Hummer will be a flop.

Totally Agree million%
It's not good to copy others
Just be yourself

And that's exactly the rule Toyota is following
The main cons
1) lacking PHEV
2) one of the slowest updating firm which lead to number 3
3) cancelling what was appear as a good market product
4) some of the interior material quality is below the competitor
5) weak engines Vs the competition

That's all the faults of TMC

Which by the way can be solved easily

I think GM and GMC never thought about the hummer truck until they saw the Tesla

The hard work is the engineering, and honestly that's what Toyota is second to non in it

They have the most powerful 3-cylinder engine
They have the most perfect PHEV
The new TNGA with all its platforms are from the best in market even with soft dampers that TMC always love to put
Reliability I don't want to speak about it because reliability=TMC

Other than that I can see nothing
I can see that Toyota still the most future prove auto manufacturer

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the Hummer EV is actually pretty cool, although I have no idea how it'll sell. The Crabwalk mode is what I really want to see from EVs, things that are hard to do with ICE and easy with electric motors. Ditto Rivian's circle-turning, which is basically the same idea. Not self-farting seats like Tesla.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I think almost all of the stuff on the Hummer is a gimmick, not necessary, and is what brings the price tag to a ridiculous $112k. Looks are subjective but I’m not a fan of the design. Just get me a decent looking, reliable truck with some efficiency. A hybrid Tundra would be great, the perfect setup for me would be a Tundra “prime” (like the RAV4 prime) a plug in hybrid truck. It would cover all my wants and needs, even though the cost would be high I’m sure. I’m also not totally sold on full electric just yet.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Hummer's not a work truck. It's clearly aimed at the LX/G-Wagon/Land Rover end of the market where it's plush and expensive and has lots of toys, but also has real off-road capability.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the Hummer EV is actually pretty cool, although I have no idea how it'll sell. The Crabwalk mode is what I really want to see from EVs, things that are hard to do with ICE and easy with electric motors. Ditto Rivian's circle-turning, which is basically the same idea. Not self-farting seats like Tesla.
The 200-series/LX570 has had tank turn (turn assist control) since 2007. I don't know about USDM but ChDM/Middle East Spec LX570 all come standard with tank turn.

LX owners in China absolutely love to brag about that tech. But IRL it's a useless gimmick.

To be fair 95% of modern 'offroad tech' are useless gimmick that add things to break down. Completely gimmick-less LC70 and G-wagen are still the most capable offroaders ever made.

Last edited: