3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Reactions
The new ford has a mild hybrid system, 3.5v TT running at a higher compression ratio, revised interior, changes in interior and exterior, active aero grill, Improved towing capacity, electric bed outlet, over the air update, bigger screens, etc..

Its more vast than the IS in terms of update. Toyota did a lackluster job with "new" lexus IS. Fact.
No engine update, minimal interior, built on same TNGA platform, There was no change from my 2013 lexus is to the "new" is.

Im just frustrated that toyota just playing their customers dumb.
2022 Tundra --> supposed independent rear suspension, No rear solid acid axle, No ACTIVE Diff lock, new leds, Mild hybrid/Hybrid
2023 Tundra --> new color, TRD Pro Model, Possible Plug in hybrid
2024 Tundra --> New Color
2025 Tundra --> New Color
2026 Tundra --> New Color

Do you get it now? They are going to milk it like the tacoma.

Thats toyota for you.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, after the mild hybrid in RAM 1500, and the weak hybrid in F 150, anything and I mean the weakest current Toyota hybrid system if put in next Tundra it will be better than both

This is a plus side, the negative side is that Toyota may get lazy after this F 150 announcement

Will1991

Reactions
@spwolf , true but all the other brands aren’t building a hidrogen space rover... How hard can it be to build a car next to it? 🤣

On a more serious note, good points.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The new ford has a mild hybrid system, 3.5v TT running at a higher compression ratio, revised interior, changes in interior and exterior, active aero grill, Improved towing capacity, electric bed outlet, over the air update, bigger screens, etc..

Its more vast than the IS in terms of update. Toyota did a lackluster job with "new" lexus IS. Fact.
No engine update, minimal interior, built on same TNGA platform, There was no change from my 2013 lexus is to the "new" is.

2022 Tundra --> supposed independent rear suspension, No rear solid acid axle, No ACTIVE Diff lock, new leds, Mild hybrid/Hybrid

Thats toyota for you.
How did you get so much detail on the Tundra with enough confidence to declare it a money grab? Are you an insider?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Thats toyota for you.

Actually structural changes to F150 are smaller than for IS... All engines are carry over too.

And we are talking about very profitable truck that sells 1m per per year vs car that sells 50k.

And actually Tundra will be all new model, with completely new platform and engines.

So yes, you are right into that stereotype Toyota forum user that thinks anything anyone else does is much better, and nothing is ever good enough.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
New F150 had less changes than "new" Lexus IS. Just another example how Toyota/Lexus forum fans overdo it.

Yup, lets just ignore that the F150 is the best selling vehicle in America, and by some analysts the world?

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Actually structural changes to F150 are smaller than for IS... All engines are carry over too.

And we are talking about very profitable truck that sells 1m per per year vs car that sells 50k.

And actually Tundra will be all new model, with completely new platform and engines.

So yes, you are right into that stereotype Toyota forum user that thinks anything anyone else does is much better, and nothing is ever good enough.

Tundra is how old now? How many times has the F150 been changed in that same time frame?

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
You all make a point. I would just like to say that even though the f150 has been redone 5 times (counting both all-new models and refreshed models) since 2007 I think an argument could be made for the Tundra. It’s a solid truck that is long in the tooth and we know a new model is coming. Ford has the most advanced, fanciest new trucks on the market some would say but at what cost? Look at how much money Ford spends on the warranty fixes and lemons because they push them out the door so fast. Toyota might be taking their time with the all new Tundra but I think the patients they’re taking with research and development will pay off for another solid iteration of the Tundra.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
You all make a point. I would just like to say that even though the f150 has been redone 5 times (counting both all-new models and refreshed models) since 2007 I think an argument could be made for the Tundra. It’s a solid truck that is long in the tooth and we know a new model is coming. Ford has the most advanced, fanciest new trucks on the market some would say but at what cost? Look at how much money Ford spends on the warranty fixes and lemons because they push them out the door so fast. Toyota might be taking their time with the all new Tundra but I think the patients they’re taking with research and development will pay off for another solid iteration of the Tundra.

How much would that be exactly?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
New F150 had less changes than "new" Lexus IS. Just another example how Toyota/Lexus forum fans overdo it.

Are we really going down this road? The F-150 was all-new in 2015, so 6 model years later, it's getting a 50% updated exterior, a more updated interior, and updated engines and some brand new powertrains.

The IS was new in 2014, so 7 model years later, it's getting 100% new exterior sheetmetal, circular vents and a touch screen, and carryover powertrains.

You tell me who put more money into their "refresh." The F-150 is Ford's most important vehicle, and the IS is nowhere close to the top 10 list for Toyota, so I think the money invested makes sense in both cases.

P.S. the F-150 refresh is also hideous and the IS looks great 🤪

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A few other points:

I don't think BOF platforms need to be redesigned as often as unibody ones - the technology and construction are tried and true, and do not change as much. Even with that considered, Toyota is still milking every single one of their BOF products past its expiration date.

The new Tundra hybrid will wipe the floor with this F-150 hybrid. Preliminary specs from Ford are 420+ hp and 480+ lb-ft of torque. Tundra will be 450+ and 500+ lb-ft... and Toyota has the best hybrid systems in the world. Raise your hand if you want to own a Ford product with an Ecoboost hybrid powertrain out of warranty.......... anyone.............?

Ford builds nice trucks, and they do it well, but everything I've heard about the next gen Tundra tells me it is a flagship vehicle for Toyota in terms of construction, technology, capability and powertrains. We know Toyota will be late to the party, but I think they will play to win... historically, they have done just that with the first and second generation Tundras.

F-150 is ugly and I'm not sure why Ford design sucks again lately.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
There must be big sighs of relief in some conference room in Plano after seeing the F-150 hybrid.
That being said, Ford may not have planned to compete against the Tundra hybrid anyway because they know they will be outdone. Going for a weak hybrid puts it at a lower segment while Tundra hybrid maybe in the Raptor segment.
Few people realize just how old the EcoBoost 3.5 is now. It is an early 2010s tech turbo GDI engine (i.e. same era as the N55) and it shows in its relatively low efficiency (but still WAY more efficient than the V8s).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
From all of reports and insides here and there

I honestly start to believe that the next Tundra will be the real Truck S-Class with amazing engines, the top of the line engine can be seen in like the AMG "TRD" and the Maybach "To be known" variants

Problem with all of that is, while cool, Ford, Dodge and Chevy have a loyal owner base that will find hard to move to Toyota.

Still, Toyota is obviously investing a lot into this, and i wish they can think it of the box and do Lexus pickup like they do LM in China.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , I know that this whole category is based very much on loyal owners

BUT, Toyota with T100, Hilux passing by all the current and previous gens. from tacos and tundras built to itself another league of reliability, dependability and long aging more than anything in this category, and honestly I for myself was witnessed 5 guys switched from Ram and F150 to Tundras and they are happy with their choices until today

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Ok so to make it more interesting, I don't think Tundra is really competing with F150 at all.

I think you are right. It is my impression that Toyota is approaching this 3rd gen Tundra as 100% how they want to build a full size truck - not necessarily how anyone else does it just for the sake of competition.

With such strong loyalty in this segment, that makes the most sense to me anyway.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
To be different is not always bad thing, to be different maybe it's because you are special

If and only if those powertrains and the leaked silhouette are all true, Toyota then will have the new King in this category, maybe it won't be the most sold or second or even third, but it will sure be the most special to those want the most tech with the most mind free out of trouble in same one truck

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I think it could also become the most expensive, but Toyota does not have the incentive to do blow out deals and competitive pricing on trucks because that’s not the core of their business.

Plus, Tacoma is the most dominant truck in the midsize segment so IMO, that gives them some upside to move full size trucks up market a bit. And I’m sure the next gen Tacoma will be awesome too.

What I’m most curious about is if Tacoma and 4Runner will get V35A-FTS as an upper level trim option. 🤞🏼