3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
One thing I don't understand is why some people have concerns with the reliability of turbocharged gasoline engines. Some of the toughest trucks in the world use turbodiesel. Is there a big difference between the two?
It has to do with the different design of diesel and gasoline engines, dictated by their different operating cycles.

The diesel engine cycle relies on high compression and ignition of the fuel by compression of the air in the cylinder; to do this, the diesel engine block has to be strong. Turbochargers on diesel engines then add more air. Adding more air does not add that much more stress so turbocharging a diesel engine does not add much more stress.

The gasoline engine relies on compression of an air-fuel mixture. Compressing this mixture too much risks early ignition (pre-ignition) due to the high temperature; cylinder compression is kept low. Lower compression allows a lighter engine block. Adding turbocharging can greatly increase cylinder pressures and heat; the extremely high RPM of the turbocharger also raises temperatures in the engine bay. Higher compression and higher temperatures add a lot of damaging stress to an otherwise lightly-stressed engine.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
He did say 550 ftlbs of torque and faster than the supercharged V8, you would be hard pressed to make that out of an N/a V6 hybrid so I think it is safe to assume TT V6 hybrid.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
...unless the Toyota Tundra Hybrid turns out to be the company's first turbocharged gasoline hybrid.

I just don’t see it. it would go against everything Toyota has done in the past. Let’s say the V6TT is 416hp, nobody is going to pay extra for a possible 500hp turbo hybrid tundra. The cost would be just too high and pretty much pointless as 416 is pretty impressive. i don’t find the guy who did the video credible in any way. I believe we will see a V8 carry over in the base trim and work trucks, the turbo V6 in the Pro line and th Platinum line will offer a V6t or hybrid V6 with no turbo.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
He did say 550 ftlbs of torque and faster than the supercharged V8, you would be hard pressed to make that out of an N/a V6 hybrid so I think it is safe to assume TT V6 hybrid.

I remember something else

He said also that there will be a new trim above all, he didn't mention if this new trim will be 1794 edition successor or even above it

@LexsCTJill , the guy although even that was my first time I saw him but he was so sure and even excited
+
He was reading from a paper

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
I think he also said that the Tundra will debut a brand new and high tech infotainment stack for Toyota, which is very exciting news to me.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Let’s say the V6TT is 416hp, nobody is going to pay extra for a possible 500hp turbo hybrid tundra. The cost would be just too high and pretty much pointless as 416 is pretty impressive.

As someone who owns/owned a hybrid, I assume you’re familiar with the concept of torque?

i don’t find the guy who did the video credible in any way.

You realize toyota removed it due to a COPYRIGHT violation, right?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
He did say it will have more torque than the 3UR-FZE (3UR-FE with TRD supercharger) which makes 750N.m/550lb.ft. It's trivially easy for a P2 hybrid to do that since torque of ICE and MG1 are additive unlike in PS hybrid. Here is a list of possible output from this hybrid system using different combinations (these are upper limit estimations, real numbers should be smaller due to a variety of factors):

2GR+4NM (RAV4 hybrid rear motor): 233kW/312hp, 456N.m/336lb.ft with no reduction, 638N.m/470lb.ft with 2.5:1 reduction
V35+1NM (Yaris hybrid): 369kW/494hp, 741N.m/547lb.ft with no reduction, 953N.m/703lb.ft with 2.5:1 reduction.
V35+3NM (RAV4 hybrid): 398kW/533hp, 802N.m/592lb.ft with no reduction, 1105N.m/815lb.ft with 2.5:1 reduction.

The 2.5:1 reduction ratio is due to very high speed of the motor (17000rpm) which needs to be stepped down to match the rotation speed of the engine crank. Alternatively they could just use direct coupling and not use the full rpm range of the motor. The limit here is the torque capacity of the transmission. The 10AT needs a heavier torque converter to handle the torque, but they should be working on one for the LC-F which will have close to 1000N.m from the V8TT. Over 600N.m for the Taco/LCP and over 900N.m for the Tundra/LC300 should give them a huge edge over competitor's diesel options without the headache with emissions. The F-150 Raptor will be laughably weak by comparison.

Last edited:

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
As someone who owns/owned a hybrid, I assume you’re familiar with the concept of torque?

You realize toyota removed it due to a COPYRIGHT violation, right?

You can use the “you realize” comment all you want. Toyota has yet to use a turbo motor married to the hybrid system in the US. Every new hybrid set up is an alternative to an existing Lexus or Toyota gas option. And in every case, the gas engine is somewhat detuned, it is like that in my CT. As for removing the copyright violation, so what? Means nothing either way.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
if they build turbo hybrid, it will definetly be used in as many cars as possible. Also, Tundra will get quite expensive anyway.

Agreed. I think with no Lexus version, they realize the limit is much higher and they can offer different, more expensive trims. Heck, look at costs on some of the top end American trucks. They get very, very expensive.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
From my humble yet crazy view, Toyota wants a new league

If the Current RAM-1500 & next gen F-150, promoted and being promoting as S-Class of the BOF Trucks, Toyota wants to step up even more

I think and nearly believe that Toyota wants to play the role of the S-Class as the others but will go further to have the role of S - Maybach & S65AMG, and the recent deleted video when the guy said that there will be a new trim over all summarised it all

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
He said also that there will be a new trim above all, he didn't mention if this new trim will be 1794 edition successor or even above it
An excellent question. I won't get into comparisons with Chevrolet, GMC or Ram, but Tundra offers 6 trim levels, including one off-road-focused, whereas Ford F-150 offers 7. Here are the roughly equivalent trim levels for both:

FORD / TOYOTA
XL / SR
XLT / SR5
Lariat / Limited
King Ranch / 1794 Edition
Platinum / Platinum
Limited / (none)
Raptor / TRD Pro

So, yes, there is theoretical room for one more Tundra trim level.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Maybe the new flagship trim will be a Lexus reskin of the Tundra, 😂
Hey, I keep thinking that Cadillac Escalade EXT, Lincoln Blackwood and Mark LT all failed at least in part because they were ahead of their time and the market wasn't ready for them. Unless the COVID-19 pandemic absolutely crushes the economy (which is certainly possible if not probable), I'd say the markets in North America, the Middle East and possibly Australia are now ready for a proper, luxury-branded pickup truck.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
You can use the “you realize” comment all you want. Toyota has yet to use a turbo motor married to the hybrid system in the US. Every new hybrid set up is an alternative to an existing Lexus or Toyota gas option. And in every case, the gas engine is somewhat detuned, it is like that in my CT. As for removing the copyright violation, so what? Means nothing either way.

Why is a turbo motor hybrid setup a downgrade in your opinion? My opinion is that its the perfect setup; electric power at low demand city speeds, high output turbo when towing or under other high demand situations.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Why is a turbo motor hybrid setup a downgrade in your opinion? My opinion is that its the perfect setup; electric power at low demand city speeds, high output turbo when towing or under other high demand situations.

I don’t think I ever said it was a downgrade. I just don’t believe there will be a lot of people willing to buy a Tundra V6TThybrid for a premium over a V6TT. Just does not seem likely. Every new Toyota Hybrid is an alternative to the gas counterpart