3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Hello, first post here and joined the forum as I have always been a car guy and have always appreciated the Toyota and Lexus brands. I am also super eager to see a new Tundra because that will be my next truck, I currently have a 2017 Tacoma. I love finding new information and hearing all the rumors during an upcoming new model. All of you seem so informed especially those that have build codes and production dates which I find very helpful. I am currently predicting a new tundra will be available with a v6 engine, a hybrid option on that engine, and a dynamic force updated 5.7 because Mike Sweers loves that engine. I would be extremely happy to get mid 20's combined mpg. I have no clue what is going on with the rear end of the truck in the spy shots but it gave me a lot of hope that this will be a ground up redesign. Also did any of you notice it has 6 lugs? Thanks for the information and can't wait to hear more!

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota's plan: All pickups on 1 platform
It goes by the codename 'F1'

Toyota plans to use a new truck platform to underpin the next-generation Tundra and Tacoma, according to a report from Automotive News. Unnamed sources within Toyota revealed the news, saying the platform is known internally as "F1" and will be used in those pickups on a global scale.

Of course, the Tundra is a full-size pickup, while the Tacoma is midsize. This means that Toyota's truck platform needs to have a degree of modularity, similar to the company's TNGA platform that underpins both large and small cars. Toyota sources report that the shared platform is nearing completion, and we can expect to see a truck built on it as soon as the 2021 model year. If that's true, it's almost certain we'd see the platform hit the Tundra first. That truck's roots trace all the way back to 2007, and the truck is really feeling its age against the modern domestic pickups. We've also seen spy shots of a Tundra mule running around, trying hard to conceal what's underneath.

Toyota has done significant work to the Tacoma recently. It was completely overhauled for the 2015 model year, and Toyota just released a light refresh for the 2020 model year at the Chicago Auto Show. This leads us to believe the Tacoma might carry on as-is, adopting the F1 platform some time after the Tundra does.

Toyota builds the Tundra and Tacoma at a plant in San Antonio, Texas. There is also some Tacoma production in Mexico. Moving both trucks to a shared platform could potentially make production easier for Toyota at its plant in Texas. Unfortunately, we don't have any details to go on for what the new underpinnings will consist of. An educated guess from recent spy shots suggested that it might be a coil spring or air spring setup in the rear — keep in mind, that's pure speculation at this point.

This also brings up the question of a Sequoia redesign. That SUV is largely based on the Tundra, so a refresh to that platform could mean the Sequoia isn't too far behind. For now, there's no concrete information on that one, but we can assume something is in the works.

If the timeline suggested in the report is true, we can expect to see this new F1 truck platform revealed in 2020. Electrification in some form is expected to be a part of the equation, but we'll need to wait to learn more details. It's certainly an interesting move to put different-size pickups on the same platform. We just hope it doesn't come with compromises to both trucks.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/08/toyota-tacoma-tundra-trucks-shared-platform/

I'm looking forward to a hybrid Taco.

Reactions
We will see a hybrid Wrangler before a hybrid Tacoma - 100%
Toyota playing it safe until 2020 elections which can help pave the path of what parameters they must work within.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think this news starting to leak out means we are getting closer to a formal launch of something, be it Tundra or Land Cruiser. I am expecting an announcement about TNGA-F or TNGA-F1 as well as a product release, similar to TNGA-L/LC announcements.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
^I am hoping so too. I figured the redesign Tundra would debut in February 2020 at the Chicago Auto Show, but I wouldn’t complain if its sooner. I’m excited for it. I do think a hybrid is on its way for both the Tacoma and Tundra but we won’t see one for a year or two. Basically the hybrid will debut when each of the redesigns debut. So a Taco Hybrid is a ways out yet. Can’t wait to see the official press release!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I think this news starting to leak out means we are getting closer to a formal launch of something, be it Tundra or Land Cruiser. I am expecting an announcement about TNGA-F or TNGA-F1 as well as a product release, similar to TNGA-L/LC announcements.
Your reference to TNGA-F1 is very interesting and accurate, and speaks to the evolution of TNGA. Although initially misinterpreted by some as a single, all-encompassing, ultra-flexible architecture encompassing front or rear-wheel-drive, unibody or body-on-frame, it was never intended to be that. Its initial announcement 7 years ago clearly mentions that "TMC will initiate the Toyota New Global Architecture with three front-wheel-drive platforms. Models using these platforms account for about half of total unit production volume." Two of these are TNGA-C (Corolla) and TNGA-K (Camry), and the third would probably be the yet-to-be-launched TNGA-B (Yaris outside North America).

What at first appeared to be a single GA-L architecture for RWD-centric cars soon became two: GA-L for Lexus LS/LC and TNGA-N for Toyota Crown. And this latest announcement suggests similar diversification for what many suggested would be a single ultra-flexible TNGA-F for all body-on-frame vehicles. Instead, this announcement hints at a TNGA-F1 for pickups and TNGA-F2 or even TNGA-F3 for SUVs. Then there's the matter of the plethora of suspension types for the rear driven axle (currently live axle with leaf springs for pickups, live axle with coil springs for most SUVs and independent rear suspension for Sequoia). Do the different rear-drive suspensions justify different platform designations?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Great point of clarification - I agree with you. I also read at one point, maybe from Paul Williamson, that Toyota considers TNGA to be more of a formula for how to build scaleable, flexible architectures than any one specific tangible platform.

I will be very interested to see if 4IS uses GA-L like LS and LC, or TNGA-N like the Crown. LC is a vehicle with a fairly small footprint, similar to an entry level sedan, so I can see how it could be on GA-L. The Crown NOT being on GA-L was rather surprising to me, and it seems like the N platform was a refresh of the older GS/IS platform.

With regard to BOF vehicles, if Toyota can put "all pickups" on the same platform, that should cover midsize vehicles like Tacoma, 4Runner, GX, Prado, Hilux as well as full size vehicles like Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia and LX. So maybe they'll just have one - TNGA-F or TNGA-F1 - for all of them. Or it could be something like you say where TNGA-F1 is for full size, and TNGA-F2 is for midsize, but they all fall under "TNGA-F" as the BOF "formula."

Reactions
I really wonder how this next gen Tundra would look on the outside since it’s been so long that the tundra has had a ground up redesign. I’m excited for it. Has anybody heard any rumors or have any ideas on how the next gen tundra’s exterior would look like?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really wonder how this next gen Tundra would look on the outside since it’s been so long that the tundra has had a ground up redesign. I’m excited for it. Has anybody heard any rumors or have any ideas on how the next gen tundra’s exterior would look like?

What's shocking to me is how damn good the Tundra still looks. So many little updates over the years have kept it very handsome, IMO.

TUN_MY19_0004_V002.png

Reactions
What's shocking to me is how damn good the Tundra still looks. So many little updates over the years have kept it very handsome, IMO.

TUN_MY19_0004_V002.png
Yeah it is. I hope it gets standard full led headlights and taillights. Also that they do a good job at making each trim level have it own look in a good way.

Reactions

TUN_MY19_0004_V002.png
Also Toyota needs to put pretty much Lexus interiors in the upper trims of the tundra. One thing that I hope Toyota does a better job is make a true Raptor competitor for the tundra. Toyota should aim to sell 150k to 200k per year.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I agree, the Tundra looks good. Most trims or color packages anyway. I love the new Pro grille. I agree in hopes of making each trim unique. Every article I have read and the interviews with Mike Sweers I think the new ground up redesign will be evolutionary. It will keep its Tundra DNA so to speak, but the powertrains, and underpinnings, and probably interior will be the biggest changes. I also understand "Lexus" grade interiors and think the upper trims will have some of that however it will show on the price tag. I hope they keep the value and price similar to todays trucks. I am waiting for the all new Tundra and depending on looks and trims, I would probably go towards a double cab SR5. I like my more basic amenities and cloth seats. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Reactions
I agree, the Tundra looks good. Most trims or color packages anyway. I love the new Pro grille. I agree in hopes of making each trim unique. Every article I have read and the interviews with Mike Sweers I think the new ground up redesign will be evolutionary. It will keep its Tundra DNA so to speak, but the powertrains, and underpinnings, and probably interior will be the biggest changes. I also understand "Lexus" grade interiors and think the upper trims will have some of that however it will show on the price tag. I hope they keep the value and price similar to todays trucks. I am waiting for the all new Tundra and depending on looks and trims, I would probably go towards a double cab SR5. I like my more basic amenities and cloth seats. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
Yeah. Toyota can make a lot of profit and get new set of buyers if they bring their A game to the next gen tundra.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I can See a LT570 becoming a hit in China. The offroad community is already paying ridiculous bucks for those rare Tacos and Tundras because Land Cruisers and Wranglers are boring.

After the luxury minivan sector went viral, full-size performance trucks could become another Veblen good.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So after unification of all bof in a single frame it will make this frame is the most profitable frame in the world not even within Toyota

*Hilux, Innova, Fortuner
*Tacoma, 4Runner, FJ successor
*Prado, GX
*70 saloon 2 / 4 doors, 70 pickup 2 / 4 doors
*Tundra, Sequoia
*LX, 300

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also Toyota needs to put pretty much Lexus interiors in the upper trims of the Tundra.
As I mentioned in another thread, I've been doing some Spanish-language new car video reviews for QueAutoCompro.com. Basically, automotive press fleets in southeast Florida are managed by two different companies which each handle different car brands. By sheer happenstance, we recently had, at the same time, two competing full-size pickup trucks: a new-for-2019 Chevrolet Silverado and a Toyota Tundra. The newest and oldest full-size pickups in the North American market.

It wasn't a truly direct or fair comparison, in a way, since the Silverado was a fairly basic, cloth-interior Custom model just a notch or two above a basic work truck, whereas the Tundra was a 1794 Edition, Toyota's entry in the luxury, Western ranch-themed, saddle leather subgenre kicked off by the Ford F-150 King Ranch and since emulated by the Ram Laramie Longhorn, the Chevy Silverado High Country and, of course, the 1794 Tundra. It was also an opportunity to see how much the full-sized pickup game had evolved in the dozen years or so since the current Tundra first launched.

The QueAutoCompro.com video is still being edited as we speak, but, aside from a couple of modern bells and whistles (such as Apple CarPlay), we were distinctly underwhelmed by the new Silverado, whereas the Tundra still felt surprisingly competitive and handsome despite its age as a design. The 1794 Edition interior was a bit of a hodgepodge of seats with Lexus-worthy quality leather and well-executed wood and metal-effect trim laid into a cheapish hard plastic environment. All in all, though, the Tundra got our vote, while admitting that both trucks fall below the high bar set by the latest Ram Laramie Longhorn.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
^I would agree with your review. The Tundra really isn’t missing anything it’s just an older design and isn’t as “fresh” as the rest of the pack. As Mike Sweers has stated a lot of new features and options on the market are “answers to problems that don’t exist” which for the most part I would say is true. Much like the Highlander shown today, I think the new Tundra will be evolutionary with many new comforts and fresh looks. My patients is wearing thin for this new Tundra lol