3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

mikeavelli

Reactions
They got to bring some serious A game b/c I've been following trucks for the first time and the big 3 American brands do a damn good job with their trucks.
Considering though how old the Tundra is, it looks pretty good. Its aged well and isn't completely out of touch.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We recently worked with some commercial vehicle makers on electrification of trucks. So I did a bit of research on Hino's hybrid truck technology. They are of the P2 type, which suits utility applications much better than PS. PS are known to be weak in continuous high loads such as towing due to losses in the electrical path way (ICE-MG1-MG2-wheel). P2 can just freewheel the MG when it doesn't need boost/regen and let the mechanical pathway do all the heavy lifting.

the-hino-hybrid-system.jpg

Now I am wondering if Toyota's hybrid system will be P2 for utility vehicles. The problem is that they didn't show such a system on their TNGA powertrain road map. We know that Toyota is open to use any type of hybrid technology as long as they make sense. For example they will license P1 mild-hybrid from Suzuki for low-cost applications. There's not a lot of extra cost to develop a light-duty P2 since they just need to scale down the Hino system.

And the better part is this will also work very well for performance applications (aka THS-R). The clutch in the hybrid system is electronically operated, making it a manual sequential transmission.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Assuming the diesel tank is on the opposite side, wouldnt this still be inherently unbalanced?

The driver sits on the right.

BTW that box looks huge but it contains all the lighter electrical components, it's not all heavy battery cells.

Reactions
I really hope there is dynamic force engine V8 of some sort in the next gen tundra. 10 speed auto. At least 450 hp and torque will be nice . Over 20 miles on highway. Also that the tundra has standard Led headlight and led taillights. The tundra has never offer led taillights ever. Also that the tundra ups it’s luxury. Toyota should put a Lexus style interior in the tundra on the upper trim levels like they limited,platinum and 1794.

Reactions
Carmaker1 or Gecko do you guys know any details about the next gen Tundra? Really interested in it. Would be one of my future choices of vehicle.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I can only speak for myself, but all of the information I've heard is contained in this thread

- TNGA BOF platform
- TT V6
- TT V6 + batteries for a next gen hybrid powertrain
- MPG goal is "mid-20s combined"

Reactions
So, it seems like toyota completely scratched the hydrogen fuel. It seems reserved for only semi trucks/big rigs.

Reactions
I can only speak for myself, but all of the information I've heard is contained in this thread

- TNGA BOF platform
- TT V6

Pissed off from the lack of a new V8.

Reactions

- TNGA BOF platform
- TT V6
Thanks. How about loss of weight? Dynamic force V8? I hope the V8 makes at least 450 hp and torque. Has 10 speed automatic and gets over 20 mpg on the highway. That will be really competitive.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
There may still be a new V8... I'm not sure. Just haven't heard anything about it yet. I think a refresh of the 5.7L V8 makes the most sense.

refreshed 5.7 might become base engine next? It is going to be weird if V6 is an upgrade from V8, however now that I wrote it, Ford has been doing this for a while now.