3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Reactions
Don't forget that it will be Hybrid system
So the electric system will take a lot of the force put on the V6TT during towing

It's not about the hybrid system only. Some people just want a simple V8. Ford, Chevrolet and Ram listen to the customers that want a V8.

What's so hard about redesigning a new one off the 5.7? The 5.7 is so old that they're basically making money by producing each engine, the engine has paid off R&D costs, manufacturing costs, LITERALLY EVERYTHING and has been able to make tens (maybe hundreds) of millions of dollars EXTRA for each truck the 5.7 motor goes in. I think it's time to redesign and make a new V8 out of the old one.

This isn't the Supra for them to justify working with BMW, this is a completely different ballgame. The 5.7 goes in the Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, and LX. A new (maybe smaller displacement V8) could MAYBE work its way into a 4Runner or a Tacoma for a performance model if they're feeling crazy, just to justify the costs of designing a new one.

This move doesn't make any sense to me because there are many people who just want a solid workhorse V8 option. Heck, Ford developed a BRAND NEW 7.3L V8 that isn't too bad on fuel economy and early on it seems to be one hell of an engine.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Maybe they will put the V8TT in the top of the line
as we know that there will be a V8TT, and that is will be put firstly in LC then number of other cars as they said by themselves

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's not about the hybrid system only. Some people just want a simple V8. Ford, Chevrolet and Ram listen to the customers that want a V8.

What's so hard about redesigning a new one off the 5.7? The 5.7 is so old that they're basically making money by producing each engine, the engine has paid off R&D costs, manufacturing costs, LITERALLY EVERYTHING and has been able to make tens (maybe hundreds) of millions of dollars EXTRA for each truck the 5.7 motor goes in. I think it's time to redesign and make a new V8 out of the old one.

This isn't the Supra for them to justify working with BMW, this is a completely different ballgame. The 5.7 goes in the Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, and LX. A new (maybe smaller displacement V8) could MAYBE work its way into a 4Runner or a Tacoma for a performance model if they're feeling crazy, just to justify the costs of designing a new one.

This move doesn't make any sense to me because there are many people who just want a solid workhorse V8 option. Heck, Ford developed a BRAND NEW 7.3L V8 that isn't too bad on fuel economy and early on it seems to be one hell of an engine.
Unfortunately a 450hp 600N.m 3UR-FKS with 36% thermal efficiency only exist in our imagination now...that would be a beast.

They missed the timing, back in 2015 investing in such an upgrade would make sense (since it would have a 9-year life cycle till 2024), but in 2020 not so much. Infiniti did the right thing when they upgraded the VK56...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Unfortunately a 450hp 600N.m 3UR-FKS with 36% thermal efficiency only exist in our imagination now...that would be a beast.

They missed the timing, back in 2015 investing in such an upgrade would make sense (since it would have a 9-year life cycle till 2024), but in 2020 not so much. Infiniti did the right thing when they upgraded the VK56...

Heavy prices to pay for being so incredibly slow to act. Ford has been successful with their EcoBoost V6s, but no V8 will indeed be a problem for the Tundra, IMO.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We only have one use case to judge it, but I also wouldn't say the V35A-FTS has been a particularly noteworthy engine so far as judged by a V8 replacement. Perhaps a different tune and some adjustments to throttle mapping and inputs would make things better - time will tell.

Tundra and LS will probably weigh about the same 😂

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
As the news has broke I keep trying to think why Toyota would completely drop the v8. I definitely can see moving forward and updating power trains but I do feel like a lot of people who buy trucks have faith in 8 cylinders. It will definitely be intriguing to see how they implement the powertrains on the new truck. Keeping Toyota’s quality, dependability and reliability is number one, so the reason for completely dropping the v8 will need to really be sold to consumers.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
As the news has broke I keep trying to think why Toyota would completely drop the v8. I definitely can see moving forward and updating power trains but I do feel like a lot of people who buy trucks have faith in 8 cylinders. It will definitely be intriguing to see how they implement the powertrains on the new truck. Keeping Toyota’s quality, dependability and reliability is number one, so the reason for completely dropping the v8 will need to really be sold to consumers.

Ford F150 is coming online with the V6 Hybrid soo makes sense to follow the leader in trucks, while being the master of hybrid integration.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
They better keep a V-8 option. Not everyone gives a crap about MPG and there is a market of people who just want V-8's and nothing else.

They might if the want to retain their no-nonsense customers who take pride in hearing all 8 cylinders. Fords keep it around, but Toyota may keep it simple and offer one powertrain like the do now (5.7)

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
What is your source?

No source. There is no way a Toyota V6 with TT will be cheap enough to put in a Tundra and get a $33K starting price like the current model has. Despite what the anti-Lexus crowd states, the 3.5tt from the LS is one of the most advanced engines currently made. Toyota needs something at the entry level price for customers to compare it with. The V6tt will be an option and then standard on the top trims.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
No source. There is no way a Toyota V6 with TT will be cheap enough to put in a Tundra and get a $33K starting price like the current model has. Despite what the anti-Lexus crowd states, the 3.5tt from the LS is one of the most advanced engines currently made. Toyota needs something at the entry level price for customers to compare it with. The V6tt will be an option and then standard on the top trims.

So you are thinking the V8 is the base engine, and then the 3.5L TT V6 becomes the top/premium engine offering, along with the hybrid?

I could see something like that possibly. To your point, we don't know how "low" the V35A-FTS can go with regard to pricing, and still be profitable.

The only hiccup I see with this plan is MPG regulations and the track record of having horrible gas mileage. Like someone else said, I wish they had given the UR an "FKS" update... that might have solved some of these problems.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
So you are thinking the V8 is the base engine, and then the 3.5L TT V6 becomes the top/premium engine offering, along with the hybrid?

Yes... I can't see Toyota succeeding with just a turbo V6....lots of people out there buying Fords and GM trucks that are non-turbo...opto

Who knows, maybe just a V8 and a hybrid option only. Maybe no V6tt...

I wish they had given the UR an "FKS" update... that might have solved some of these problems.

Yeah, and update would make some sense.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What about 2.4T base on the Tundra? GM is already making a 4cyl full-size truck...

The 2.4T should be close to the 4.6L 1UR's capability.

Another decision that backfired is not upgrading the 4.0L 1GR to ESTEC. Toyota wished customers would be content with a 3.5, they are not. So now they have a V6 that's too weak as a base engine for Tundra AND too weak as a top engine for Taco/4Runner. Competitors still have quite capable NA V6 as base.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@F1 Silver Arrows , V8TT definitely will be in the Century, LC, LX, LS, LF1-limitless production version

@ssun30 , I thought about the same as there's a V8TT, V6TT why not I4TT and from every one of them why not make 3 versions Regular, HEV, PHEV

That will work like magic, as the engine range will be 9 engines satisfying all the tastes and if they want it more German style they can make them easily 27 engine by adding NA & single Turbo to every one of the previous 9 configuration

imagine it !

27 engines with satisfying all the power/torque tastes from just 3 engines!