Things to dislike in a Lexus RX 350

Reactions
Here are some of the features or lack of that will make me think hard before buying another Lexus

1 -no auto door lock it would be nice for the door to auto lock after leaving the car

2- edestinations does not work consistently this program is so annoying I hate to use most of it

3- rear hatch doesn't auto open unless you unlock car doors also and car doors must be closed in order to open hatch

4- no 110 outlet easily remedied with a plug in accessory but in a $55,000.00 vehicle come on

5- when you remote start car shuts off when you open the door I don't know anyone that likes this

6- fix turn signal to 7 flashes in lane charge mode why can only the dealer adjust this

7- gps voice does not mute radio you can't hear gps unless you really jack up volume or shut off radio

8- scout feature does not work if you have factory gps why not have it on all I like my google maps better

9- steering wheel heat not enough and the partial coverage does not work for me

10- heated seats don't get hot enough in both driver and passenger seat

11- voice for USB stick not when I use voice commands to control what is playing from the USB port the car doesn't understand in my old car 2009 Cadillac CTS I would say play then the artist or song name and it will play the Lexus IS hit and miss very annoying

I've only had the car a month and I don't know what the dealer can do for me on these let downs but this is my first and possibly last Lexus.

Reactions
Why did you buy this car?
I bought the car because I liked the style and advertised features the car is decent enough and I'm stuck with it for now I'm not happy that things came up that I never had as an issue in any previous car's

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here are some of the features or lack of that will make me think hard before buying another Lexus

1 -no auto door lock it would be nice for the door to auto lock after leaving the car

3- rear hatch doesn't auto open unless you unlock car doors also and car doors must be closed in order to open hatch

These are (probably) security features designed to either not lock out your keys/key-fob or allow someone else entry to your car while you are back on the hatch loading or unloading rings. .

4- no 110 outlet easily remedied with a plug in accessory but in a $55,000.00 vehicle come on

I'm not an electrical engineer or an expert on the subject, but that could (?) be a safety-limitation on the wiring. Automotive batteries only produce 12 volts, and stepping it up to 110, even with an aftermarket plug-in feature, may not be a good idea with the existing wiring inside the cabin. That could (?) be the reason why the 110v outlet was not done at the factory.

5- when you remote start car shuts off when you open the door I don't know anyone that likes this

You don't want someone else getting in and driving off with it while the engine is warming up, do you?........although even a crook probably wouldn't go very far with it without the key fob in his presence.

6- fix turn signal to 7 flashes in lane charge mode why can only the dealer adjust this

Any particular reason you need seven flashes instead of three? You can always keep finger-pressure on the stalk a couple of extra seconds.

7- gps voice does not mute radio you can't hear gps unless you really jack up volume or shut off radio

I agree.....that is something that could be improved.

9- steering wheel heat not enough and the partial coverage does not work for me

A nice thin set of gloves that allows you to work buttons and controls with them on should help that problem.

10- heated seats don't get hot enough in both driver and passenger seat

Many seat heaters take several minutes before your buns and thighs significantly start to feel it, especially in very cold weather. That is not a problem unique to Lexus, though I noticed that the heated seats in my old Subaru Outback (a purpose-designed winter vehicle, of course), responded pretty quickly. Also, some limitations are put on the heater-coils under the seats to keep them from getting too hot and catching fire.....some vehicles have actually been recalled for that.

I've only had the car a month and I don't know what the dealer can do for me on these let downs but this is my first and possibly last Lexus.

I hate to disappoint you, but, as someone who does auto reviews, I can tell you that no matter what you own, or how long you own it, you are probably going to find something about it that you don't like. And I don't say that just to defend the Lexus nameplate (I'm not considered a classic Lexus fanboy).....but the truth is that the perfect vehicle has yet to be built.

Having said that, though (and I didn't make the above comments to sound rude).............I hope that the dealership (or Lexus itself) can address at least some of these concerns to your satisfaction. Like you pointed out, 55K is a lot of money. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions
I agree that you will find problems in any car but I had none of these problems in my previous car a Cadillac CTS the security feature should be user selectable not a factory no choice,
I am a electrical engineer and for Lexus the to add a low out put power inverter would only add a few dollars to the cost. The 7 flashes can be set at the dealer and I will have it done at my first service but it should be a feature that the owner can perform as far as you should wear gloves if you don't like the heated steering wheel is like saying open the windows if the ac is not adequate. The seat heaters just get slightly warm every other car I've been will burn your buns out if left on high the Lexus on high is not as hot as my other 3 cars are on low. I will update this post after a bring the car in for its first service.
One new thing I noticed that happened today I was in car in my driveway installing a dash camera. The motor was running I left the car running leaving the drivers door open with the motor running I went around to the passenger door which would not open, the fob was in my pocket I had to go around to close drivers door in order to open passenger door. This situation will not come up often but it doesn't make sense. But neither does most of what I complain about.
The car is a great comfortable ride and maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist but I expect that in a car line that wants to be the Japanese Mercedes to be just that.