The Yaris Cross (TNGA-B crossover) thread

Reactions
I am hearing that Corolla Cross is actually the Next Generation C-HR? Reading some Toyota TTC Ann Arbor documents regarding some engineering plans, the model code for it referred to C-HR replacement.
Does that mean the C-HR is one and done?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am hearing that Corolla Cross is actually the Next Generation C-HR? Reading some Toyota TTC Ann Arbor documents regarding some engineering plans, the model code for it referred to C-HR replacement.

That would actually make a lot of sense.

Does that mean the C-HR is one and done?

Hopefully. I know it was never a product designed with US in mind, but it does not do well here and Toyota needs something else in that space.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

55k yearly sales for NA is generally low... at the same time, C-HR is the most successful new model launch for Toyota in past 20 years, worldwide.

Replacing it with locally built model makes sense, but make no mistake, that would be NA only... C-HR will easily outsell both Yaris Cross and Corolla Cross in Europe and Japan (and bunch of similar markets).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately, I highly doubt we'll get it in North America, in spite of the fact that a number of brands offer B-segment crossovers here. While official press releases appeared on Toyota's Global, Europe and United Kingdom media sites, not a word on the USA and Canada media sites. Further, no Yaris Cross trademark has been filed in the U.S. šŸ˜„

problem is the price and production in EU. I bet in many European countries, Yaris Cross will start at $20k.

Reactions
55k yearly sales for NA is generally low... at the same time, C-HR is the most successful new model launch for Toyota in past 20 years, worldwide.
If it was indeed worldwide, no one here in the US noticed unlike the EU. Where did it chart on the sales for Toyota in Japan and China?

Having ridden in my friend's C-HR and briefly test drove it, I came away underwhelmed. Good chassis, but anemic power. At least the 2019 it started coming with Carplay. Personally prefer the Kona over it.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If it was indeed worldwide, no one here in the US noticed unlike the EU. Where did it chart on the sales for Toyota in Japan and China?

Having ridden in my friend's C-HR and briefly test drove it, I came away underwhelmed. Good chassis, but anemic power. At least the 2019 it started coming with Carplay. Personally prefer the Kona over it.

CHR was one of the best selling monthly vehicles in Japan in 2017.
I think it sells around 10k/mo in China alone. Little bit more in Europe.

Huge hit.

Just like Yaris is a huge hit for Toyota worldwide and in US they decided not to even try anymore.

Reactions
Just like Yaris is a huge hit for Toyota worldwide and in US they decided not to even try anymore.
Well, America isn't receptive to the Yaris and small cars so why are you so surprised? Selling a Japan and then France made Yaris with thin gross profits wasn't good for Toyota USA. The Koreans and Nissan owned the space.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions

This would make a lot of sense. The new Corolla feels every so smaller inside, the seatbelt anchors on the pillars feel closer and the roofline feels lower. Back seats are smaller and the steering column feels ever so slightly more tight.. A Corolla cross, about the size of the CH-R would feel just right.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
You donā€™t think NorthAmerica could live without the CH-R?

NA only. But not the rest of the world, which will have both. Just that NA will retire CH-R. But I don't see the Yaris Cross doing any better there. Where will it be produced? In France or NA? In the Toyota/Mazda plant?

Reactions
Killing the CH-R would be suicide for Toyota. It is simply not possible.
Technically it has been on the market since 2016 or 17 depending on which market (North America got it last), so its coming up to 6 years, as long as the current Prius, so honestly, the Corolla Cross seems to be the natural replacement for it if this was their plan. Obviously, the C-HR has more clout in the EU.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
NA only. But not the rest of the world, which will have both. Just that NA will retire CH-R. But I don't see the Yaris Cross doing any better there. Where will it be produced? In France or NA? In the Toyota/Mazda plant?
Yaris Cross will be produced alongside the regular Yaris hatchback in both France and Japan. Toyota hasn't officially said what they'll be building at the Toyota/Mazda plant in the U.S. (neither has Mazda, for that matter), but current rumors point to Corolla Cross being the Toyota product built there.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Technically it has been on the market since 2016 or 17 depending on which market (North America got it last), so its coming up to 6 years, as long as the current Prius, so honestly, the Corolla Cross seems to be the natural replacement for it if this was their plan. Obviously, the C-HR has more clout in the EU.

Since this is a worldwide forum, I think members need to be little bit more careful with saying that something is going to be killed and replaced, and use market where they think that will happen.

So for instance, C-HR and LC200 might be replaced in US market where their sales are low... worldwide, they are one of the most important vehicles for Toyota.

There is huge difference between worldwide markets for Toyota, and what works in one, might not work in others. This is nothing new.

Reactions
Since this is a worldwide forum, I think members need to be little bit more careful with saying that something is going to be killed and replaced, and use market where they think that will happen.

So for instance, C-HR and LC200 might be replaced in US market where their sales are low... worldwide, they are one of the most important vehicles for Toyota.

There is huge difference between worldwide markets for Toyota, and what works in one, might not work in others. This is nothing new.
We make calls based on the vehicles we see in our local markets, just as much as you do yourself. We can only speculate based on where we are at, and you can always give us the 411 on what's going on in Europe since TLE is mostly North America. Which is good because you see a variety of viewpoints and not just "this car is doing fine". Sometimes you like the news, sometimes you don't. I'm sure there were a lot of disappointed people yesterday about the death of the GS, but here on TLE its been speculated for several years already.

Perhaps we need country flags on our profiles to show what we all are based in, as another Toyota forum does that. But the obvious was stated, the C-HR doesn't currently have a named replacement, and that the Corolla Cross seems to be the heir apparent. Doesn't mean that the C-HR can't be sold past the normal product cycle in other parts of the world like the FJ Cruiser had been.