The Toyota Avalon will be put to pasture after the 2022 model year

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
RIP Avalon, but since the Camry was placed below the Toyota hierarchy does that mean Toyota will give the next gen Camry as long as the Avalon and put all their bells and whistles in the next gen Camry?
I don't think that there will be a stretched Camry to replace the Avalon; the Avalon itself was already a stretched Camry. People are no longer buying mass-market full size sedans (in North America), which is why the Chevrolet Impala and Ford Taurus are gone. The market for mid-size sedans is down a lot also, leaving only the Camry, Accord and a few other models (but none from Chevrolet, Buick or Ford).

As for putting the Avalon's bells and whistles in the Camry, that may be possible, or Toyota may just leave that to the Lexus ES.

nt01

Fan
Reactions
Pure speculation on my end of things, but Toyota did trademark the Crown nameplate. I know it's counterintuitive to replace a more cost efficient FWD sedan with a luxury RWD sedan; food for thought.
I do buy one right now, if they bring over the V6 hybrid. So sad we will never get one.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
XV70 Camry is already bigger than Crown/GS. It's their international sedan sold in high population density markets like Japan/SEA/Europe so I don't think it can grow any larger. The Camry is like a dinosaur on Japanese streets.

The only possibility is GAC asking for a ChDM-only Camry LWB with a 50mm stretch to compete against Avalon. FAW could even react with a 'Crown Avalon' with a further 100mm stretch to have a sedan in their Crown lineup.

The GAC Camry has a 'HQ' trim with same features as Avalon Limited. Both already have more features than mid-level ES and all USDM Avalon trims. I think the main difference is US market has less demand for rear-seat comfort so having really big and luxurious Camry/Avalon doesn't make much sense.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As for putting the Avalon's bells and whistles in the Camry, that may be possible,

Modern cars don't have bells or whistles....they were replaced by horns over a century ago. ;)

(Just Kidding) šŸ¤—