The Top 10 Selling Vehicles in Japan (Jan-June)

mikeavelli

Reactions
FYI, Toyota has a near 50% market share in Japan, selling more than Honda & Nissan combined there. During my travels there it really hit home when it seems every other car is a Toyota. Toyota is seen as the company that drives the nation and is as highly revered as it gets. As you can see it seems 7 of the 10 on the list are Toyota's!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-best-selling-car-in-first-half/#.VaZlq2Cd6OI

Toyota Aqua hybrid best-selling car in first half

Toyota Motor Corp.’s Aqua subcompact hybrid topped the nation’s auto rankings in the first half with 121,240 units sold, industry data showed Monday.

Honda Motor Co.’s N-Box minivehicle came in second with 106,985 units between January and June, followed by Daihatsu Motor Co.’s Tanto, another minivehicle, with 87,602 units.

The Tanto fell from the top spot after taking a hit from the hike in the minivehicle tax in April, the data released by the Japan Automobile Dealers Association and the Japan Light Motor Vehicle and Motorcycle Association said.

Still, seven of the top 10 models were minivehicles, among them Nissan Motor Co.’s Dayz, which ranked fourth with 87,404 units, and Daihatsu’s Move, in fifth with 74,566 units.

The three other models were hybrids, including Toyota’s Prius, in sixth with 71,401 units, and Honda’s Fit subcompact, in seventh with 67,490 units, illustrating that demand for fuel-efficient vehicles remains strong.

In June alone, the Aqua topped the rankings for the third consecutive month with sales of 18,087 units, followed by the N-Box with 16,871 units, and the Tanto with 14,140 units.

1. Aqua - 121,240
2. Prius - 71,401
3. Fit - 67,490
4. Nissan note - 54,454
5. Corolla - 54,187
6. Toyota Voxy - 44,850
7. Demio (mazda2) - 43,634
8. Vitz (yaris) - 39,876
9. Vezel (HRV) - 38,218
10. Toyota Esquire - 36,566

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for posting, Mike. :) Probably not surprising that mini cars and hybrids are popular in the JDM, given the high fuel costs and taxes there.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The Toyota Aqua, otherwise known as the Prius C in North America ;).

The Aqua has been the top-seller in Japan for some time now, and is considered one of the most successful nameplates there of the last 20 years.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Notice one interesting feature of that list (the thread topic).........all of the Top Ten sellers in Japan have Japanese nameplates. Compare that to the Top Ten here in the U.S., with the latest autoblog figures: 3 American-nameplate, 1 Korean, and the rest Japanese. Don't want to get too deep into politics here, but perhaps those who claim that the Japanese stack the deck against vehicle-nameplates from other countries selling there might have something. Of course, to be fair, even over and above that, to sell vehicles in Japan (as in Britain and Australia) usually requires right-hand drive models that some companies may not want to spend the extra money to produce.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/best-selling-cars/#slide-3488681

Last edited:
Reactions
Prius C sales have been off in the US because of cheap gas prices, but honestly, the 2015 model with its face lift and now standard LED lights make it more desirable than ever.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Prius C sales have been off in the US because of cheap gas prices, but honestly, the 2015 model with its face lift and now standard LED lights make it more desirable than ever.

I've sampled a Prius C. While a very inexpensive hybrid (and, to some extent, you get what you pay for), it is definitely better overall than its (at the time) primary competitor, the Honda Insight. The Insight, though extremely well-built, was as tight on room inside as a sardine can, thumped and bumped through its crude IMA hybrid drivetrain and braking systems, and generally felt and drove like a toy.

Given gas prices in Japan, though, and the somewhat narrow crowded conditions on many Japanese roads, it is not surprising that the Prius-C's Aqua twin does so well there.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Notice one interesting feature of that list (the thread topic).........all of the Top Ten sellers in Japan have Japanese nameplates. Compare that to the Top Ten here in the U.S., with the latest autoblog figures: 3 American-nameplate, 1 Korean, and the rest Japanese. Don't want to get too deep into politics here, but perhaps those who claim that the Japanese stack the deck against vehicle-nameplates from other countries selling there might have something. Of course, to be fair, even over and above that, to sell vehicles in Japan (as in Britain and Australia) usually requires right-hand drive models that some companies may not want to spend the extra money to produce.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/best-selling-cars/#slide-3488681

Certainly a different topic, and political discussion.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Certainly a different topic, and political discussion.

Yes, I agree on the politics (different topic), but I didn't think it was too far off topic to compare the Japanese Top Ten with the American Top Ten, especially with the definite patterns. Your call, though. :)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The comparison is fine. To clarify, I meant the really super detailed deep discussion on the politics of it was a different topic :).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
6. Toyota Voxy - 44,850
7. Demio (mazda2) - 43,634
8. Vitz (yaris) - 39,876
9. Vezel (HRV) - 38,218
10. Toyota Esquire - 36,566

I noticed on the original Top Ten List that the Voxy and Esquire are listed separately, even though they are virtually the same vehicle....and both are very similar to the Toyota Noah.

I sometimes wonder why Toyota doesn't bring a version of one of these three to the U.S. to compete with the small people-mover Mazda 5. The 5 really doesn't have much if any competition in the U.S.

300px-2001-2004_Toyota_Noah.jpg

For those of you who remember the Mitsibishi Expo/ Plymouth Colt Vista/ Eagle Summit Wagon triplets, they were also very similar in size and layout to the Noah.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I noticed on the original Top Ten List that the Voxy and Esquire are listed separately, even though they are virtually the same vehicle....and both are very similar to the Toyota Noah.

I sometimes wonder why Toyota doesn't bring a version of one of these three to the U.S. to compete with the small people-mover Mazda 5. The 5 really doesn't have much if any competition in the U.S.

300px-2001-2004_Toyota_Noah.jpg

FYI - Mazda5 is being dropped in U.S., lack of demand and very low sales goes with the lack of competition.

Mazda5 production is ending ww, no replacement planned from what we know. Mazda5 is not a Skyactiv design, therefore EOL/obsolete in their product portfolio.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
FYI - Mazda5 is being dropped in U.S., lack of demand and very low sales goes with the lack of competition.

Mazda5 production is ending ww, no replacement planned from what we know. Mazda5 is not a Skyactiv design, therefore EOL/obsolete in their product portfolio.

Supposedly that's the plans, though it is still on Mazda's American-market website. Not just the engine, but the 5-speed automatic transmission is somewhat dated by today's standards.

Too bad. The Noah/Voxy/Esquire probably would have made a good competitor, especially if Mazda updated the 5's powertrain. But, Mazda obviously doesn't have Toyota's money or resources, and if there isn't a business case for a Mazda5 update........

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Supposedly that's the plans, though it is still on Mazda's American-market website. Not just the engine, but the 5-speed automatic transmission is somewhat dated by today's standards.

Yes "supposedly" (where's the wink, lol) that's the plan and exactly why I brought up the very slow selling Mazda5 (because you were wondering above, refer to your post for specifics) Of course it's still on American website until its production stops.

Not just the engine and transmission are obsolete. The entire vehicle is obsolete and not engineered to latest Skyactiv standards. FYI-You will find that full suite of Skyactiv design changes include far more than engine/transmission, but also chassis, body design/structure, materials selection and safety systems (as 3, 6, CX-5, CX-3).

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

I say it's about time. A while back a co-worker and I got stuck with a Mazda5 on a business trip as a rental (for lack of any other choice). Let's just say it was an awkward vehicle to drive and experience. Similarly I once got stuck with a Kia Rondo for a business rental, and it too was an equally awkward vehicle.

Reactions
I say it's about time. A while back a co-worker and I got stuck with a Mazda5 on a business trip as a rental (for lack of any other choice). Let's just say it was an awkward vehicle to drive and experience. Similarly I once got stuck with a Kia Rondo for a business rental, and it too was an equally awkward vehicle.
Two guys renting a minivan...how much better would've been had it been a Sienna? :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

How did you find the Rondo awkward? I test-drove one several years ago, before it was discontinued, and, though obviously not an enthusiast machine, it was a nice little people-mover with good space efficiency inside.

As far as the Mazda5 goes, again a good people-mover, but it can be a little awkward getting in and out of the third-row seat with its unique 2+2+2 seating layout.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Two guys renting a minivan...how much better would've been had it been a Sienna? :D

I'd take Sienna over Mazda5, given only those 2 choices at rental counter, lol.

One of my tennis club buddy's traded his 335 for AWD Sienna, of course I should mention that he drove to Lake Tahoe a couple times per month during ski season.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'd take Sienna over Mazda5, given only those 2 choices at rental counter, lol.

Toss in an Odyssey and make it 3. :D

One of my tennis club buddy's traded his 335 for AWD Sienna, of course I should mention that he drove to Lake Tahoe a couple times per month during ski season.

Interesting that he traded a 335 for an AWD Sienna. He must needed a lot more room inside, especially since the 335 itself comes in an xi AWD version. (the 335xi, BTW, has long been my favorite American-market BMW product).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting that he traded a 335 for an AWD Sienna. He must needed a lot more room inside, especially since the 335 itself comes in an xi AWD version. (the 335xi, BTW, has long been my favorite American-market BMW product).

Yes, 335 (coupe) was one of my favorites when I selected IS350, I've driven all recent gens.

Yes interesting is also what I thought so I asked him about it since I played tennis with him on weekly basis. He appreciated (w/Sienna) the extra room and comfort, fewer warranty repairs and fewer tire replacements (his BMW had 18's)/service visits.

Last edited: