The strangest way to spend $105k?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I've always been a fan of Land Rover/Range Rover design because I think they tend to look both rugged and sophisticated, but the price of these new Defenders -- and the fact that people pay it -- baffles my mind. Maybe it's the vehicle shortage? Maybe people think this car is going to be collectible? Maybe there are a bunch of defected G class owners who want that shape but not a Mercedes? I'm at a loss.

Perhaps the craziest part is the interior. The closest comparison I have for this is an FJ Cruiser, and yet the Defender costs almost 3x as much. That has to be the worst interior over $40k in the automotive landscape: black plastic everywhere, exposed screw heads, very basic design, etc.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.01.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.00.55 AM.png

Maybe there's something really wonderful about this Defender that I don't know about?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Its legacy and brand cache. The defender was never a "nice" place to be. It was miserable to be honest but the vehicle was associated with some wild adventures or talk of such. With even a little creature comfort, it became more palpable for those who yearned for the ultimate offroad adventurer. My local LR dealerships is taking orders $10k over with a 5 month waitlist. The exposed screws and other parts are an excellent reminder/clever storytelling of "I have not gotten soft just because I have automatic climate control that works".

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
One of my friends back home bought the Defender. Infotainment screen died in a month. Enough said.
Thats just part of the experience. Not gonna lie, just the puddle lamps make me want to get it lol

NEW LAND ROVER DEFENDER V8 BOND EDITION INSPIRED BY ‘NO TIME TO DIE’​

DEF_V8_22MY_Bond_NTTD_DVA_010921_01.jpg

Reactions
These are fun to build on the online configurator...the Pangea Green is intriguing to me and you can spec one in with poverty wheels (Which you can do for the LX600). Dougy Demuro currently owns one.

BUT I recall TFL special ordered one and it was an interesting debacle.

mikeavelli

Reactions
There is a coolness factor here most won’t get. Also will be rare. I love it but it is not for me.