The rumored GR Corolla thread

Will1991

Reactions
IDK if it is selling crazy, but in an CUV market its holding its own, and the hatch is well received by buyers.

Corolla is the best selling Hybrid here in Europe, 30% more in February than the CHR:

Chart-3-2.jpg

Reactions
Corolla is the best selling Hybrid here in Europe, 30% more in February than the CHR:

Chart-3-2.jpg
That's great for the Corolla. The numbers for the C-HR is greater also than US sales, but I think its because of the hybrid powertrain that is doing wonder for sales.

Will1991

Reactions
Yes it does, it's mainly hybrid sales in Europe.

I don't really know why Toyota doesn't offer more hybrid variants, both of them (1.8 and 2.0HSD) as they offer us.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Why not a Lexus compact sedan with the exact powertrain from the Rav4 Prime? It would be excellent on fuel economy and fast as well. I would certainly love to see it! Maybe even as fast as a S3 Sedan, A35 Sedan but much better on fuel.

Honestly because this will ruin both brands

CT/HS was failure and Lexus wasn't supposed to make them from the beginning

the logic said that the Germans " Benz / BMW" needs to do the compact and subcompact because there's no big mainstream car maker with them and supported them, so they need to make the compacts and the subcompacts to gain from profit margin, Audi on other hand, Europe is its main market which needs smaller vehicles than NA / AUS / CHINA & Gulf which the main areas for Toyota corp, and for Japan and Asia Lexus already got the MINIVAN for them "LM" and of course they won't make a kei-car

so in short destroying Toyota for Lexus is like spiders, the children eats the mother, which was very wrong strategy, obviously now they are getting away from that wrong strategy if GR and the TNGA-K products any hint

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
@maiaramdan I understand your observation, still would love to see it happening, but it makes sense from a company perspective what you said.

I just don't agree with CT having failed... If we look for worldwide sales, yes, they might have fell short of first projection has they trademark CT300h and build it (took it to racing to 24h of Nurburing with a 2.5L hybrid engine and never sold it)... But here in Europe it managed to bring a lot of new customers to the brand. And until very recently it was one of the top sellers as well.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Will1991 ,Agree that the CT attracted new buyers to the brand, but most of those new buyers just bought it for mpg.
the problem with CT that is was half packed because of the Corolla, which was the main problem for CT, for Toyota to make the CT they made both the CT and Corolla half packed, same with Avensis and HS, honestly even same went with ES until the end of XV40 life cycle, it was very much just a Camry luxed trim nothing more, that's again because of the name of Camry is more wide spread and we'll known which made the ES always half packed, just everything started to be in favour with the ES after they turn the ES to Avalon with the XV60 and the current XZ10 as the Avalon also not have long heritage name so it became one car with totally independent 2 teams for each one of them, not dependent on each other. You can see yourself that to spread out the IS/GS Toyota killed Brevis, Verossa, Progres, Altezza, Aristo & many others "the spider strategy" which finally they just stopped fortunately.

The same current problem can be perfectly appears on GX and Prado, the same GX already found in trim within Prado and that what's makes me sure that either Lexus will delete the GX name completely or the next GX will turns to be LF-1 as the "G" always is matching with the sport

Last edited: