The rumored GR Corolla thread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
To make a proper thread, rumors in western press started in Autoexpress about 250hp GR Corolla coming in 2023

toyota_gr_corolla_-_front_watermarked.jpg

Hyundai, under for BMW M head, is making N (performance) versions of every car. Unlike the Genesis brand, N is very successful so as N package for non N cars. It is ironic to have ES F-Sport, NX F-Sport and RX F-Sport when there are no ES F, NX F and RX F versions.

Just to be clear, Hyundai sells a single N car in most markets. It really has nothing to do whatsoever what is Lexus doing, however if you compare it to GR, they are definitely half-arsing the effort. Still, good on them in times when most other manufacturers are doing nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions
Just to be clear, Hyundai sells a single N car in most markets. It really has nothing to do whatsoever what is Lexus doing, however if you compare it to GR, they are definitely half-arsing the effort. Still, good on them in times when most other manufacturers are doing nothing.
For GR, I see the Yaris and Supra. Hyundai has the Veloster N for some of the world, and the i30N in places like Europe. They're both par, and most people won't be able to get that GR Yaris, and Toyota hasn't brought out a CTR killer Corolla yet. Hyundai definitely scored getting Biermann to tune their cars. But no fear, TRD's doing fine with the Camry and Avalon, and they're making a killing with the TRD Pro models.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For GR, I see the Yaris and Supra. Hyundai has the Veloster N for some of the world, and the i30N in places like Europe. They're both par, and most people won't be able to get that GR Yaris, and Toyota hasn't brought out a CTR killer Corolla yet. Hyundai definitely scored getting Bierman to tune their cars. But no fear, TRD's doing fine with the Camry and Avalon, and they're making a killing with the TRD Pro models.

They are not par at all. i30N is FWD hot hatch with "big engine".

GR Yaris is bespoke. There is nothing like it anywhere today. And they plan more models based on same tech.

Sure GR Yaris, GR Supra and GT86...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
To be honest touching on a subject that's unrelated to this. I've heard about a high performance Corolla in 2023.

A Civic Type-R fighting Corolla needs to come sooner than later because the estimate given seems way too late to quell US sentiment over the lack of Yaris GR.

2023 could very much be EOP for the current E210, so I disagree with the timeliness. Unless the new E210 is so good that it warrants a 7-year life cycle through 2025 and can accommodate a high performance addition mid cycle in 2022.

The hatch is the first of the new generation launched in summer 2018. Maybe Toyota will mildly update it for 2021 and then a full MMC for 2023, including GR?

Or on a 6 year cycle for E210, it means redesign is due by late 2024 or Q1 2025. Meaning, GR Corolla needs to come sooner, by no later than Q1 2022.

• Summer 2018 - New E210 Corolla launched
  • Early 2019 - New Sedan launched
  • February 2019 - Touring Sports Launched in Europe
  • Calendar Year 2021 or 2022 - Brings MMC
  • GR Version - Either late 2021 or 2022
  • End of Production - Between Late 2024 and early 2026
Anyways, I digress as this is LS.

Reactions
They are not par at all. i30N is FWD hot hatch with "big engine".

GR Yaris is bespoke. There is nothing like it anywhere today. And they plan more models based on same tech.

Sure GR Yaris, GR Supra and GT86...
Honestly, it doesn't matter what is on par or not. A fun car is a fun car, regardless who builds it. The GR Yaris is a rally homologation, so yeah, its a very special car, even more so than the Supra. i30N is a lot of fun that I wish the US could get; Toyota USA never even brought a more hi-po Corolla to even take on the Civic Si or GTI; and yes, that engine in the GR Yaris probably will be coming in a Corolla 'soon'. Anyway, that's for another thread. /rant

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, it doesn't matter what is on par or not. A fun car is a fun car, regardless who builds it. The GR Yaris is a rally homologation, so yeah, its a very special car, even more so than the Supra. i30N is a lot of fun that I wish the US could get; Toyota USA never even brought a more hi-po Corolla to even take on the Civic Si or GTI; and yes, that engine in the GR Yaris probably will be coming in a Corolla 'soon'. Anyway, that's for another thread. /rant

GR Yaris is going to be sold in many worldwide countries with good price. As such, forget about it being rally homologation.

What I am talking about is special chassis, special engine, special drivetrain.

Not just putting a big engine from another car into FWD form, that is what Corolla TS was before or Camry TRD is today.

That is the difference of those cars vs 270hp AWD 1280kg Yaris that can send 100% of power to the rear.

Also - who cares about GR Corolla really? I think GR Yaris is much more important vehicle for Toyota.
For Corolla, new Corolla GR Sport is what they had to asap.

Corolla-GR-Sport-01.jpg

Corolla-GR-Sport-interior.jpg

Reactions
GR Yaris is going to be sold in many worldwide countries with good price. As such, forget about it being rally homologation.

What I am talking about is special chassis, special engine, special drivetrain.

Not just putting a big engine from another car into FWD form, that is what Corolla TS was before or Camry TRD is today.

That is the difference of those cars vs 270hp AWD 1280kg Yaris that can send 100% of power to the rear.

Also - who cares about GR Corolla really? I think GR Yaris is much more important vehicle for Toyota.
For Corolla, new Corolla GR Sport is what they had to asap.

Corolla-GR-Sport-01.jpg
From what I know, the GR Yaris that the enthusiasts want, is pretty limited, and isn't widely available. What forum hasn't talked about that car? Even the first one that came out a year ago was pretty bad ass.

I think Europe and Japan for sure. US ain't getting it. The GR Sport trims is just like Hyundai's N Line. We haven't even got the GR Sport here. Toyota USA hasn't said anything about future product other than something sportier, which obviously is the GR Corolla. Is the Corolla Sport in Europe available with a 6MT? I know there are folks here would love that Hybrid.

But hey in Europe there are lot of good choices for compact cars besides what we mentioned. I would love to take a trip to Germany and ring some on the 'Ring. A Megane RS perhaps or whatever else that can be rented.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
From what I know, the GR Yaris that the enthusiasts want, is pretty limited, and isn't widely available. What forum hasn't talked about that car? Even the first one that came out a year ago was pretty bad ass.

I think Europe and Japan for sure. US ain't getting it. The GR Sport trims is just like Hyundai's N Line. We haven't even got the GR Sport here. Toyota USA hasn't said anything about future product other than something sportier, which obviously is the GR Corolla. Is the Corolla Sport in Europe available with a 6MT? I know there are folks here would love that Hybrid.

But hey in Europe there are lot of good choices for compact cars besides what we mentioned. I would love to take a trip to Germany and ring some on the 'Ring. A Megane RS perhaps or whatever else that can be rented.

New GR Yaris is going to be widely available vehicle at good price for what it is (first one was not), it is not limited edition car.

Now first one was bad-ass Yaris, but it was basically what i30N is - dropping a better engine into existing thing and then tuning a bit rest of it. Megane RS goes a bit further, with 4 wheel steering.

But they are nothing special compared to GR Yaris though and its AWD system, let alone everything else. I think you have to go to premium brands to actually get similar performance, if even that.

So yeah, if they add that to GR Corolla, it will jump out of the econobox fwd big engine/hp class.

As to the GR Sport and N-line, GR Sport seems like a much better overall effort with more changes and better look, but that is to be expected as Lexus has had success with F-Sport for quite a while.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Now as to the GR Corolla and US market, it makes me wonder... does anyone know how well is Corolla HB selling in the US? How much sense does GR Corolla make in the US?

And with GR/GR Sport they already went a bit crazy in Japan, i think they are all in:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
To be honest touching on a subject that's unrelated to this. I've heard about a high performance Corolla in 2023.

A Civic Type-R fighting Corolla needs to come sooner than later because the estimate given seems way too late to quell US sentiment over the lack of Yaris GR.

You are right - GR Corolla in 2023 would be too late for this model.

I do hope they go all out with same power train in Corolla and C-HR, although I have to wonder if there are enough buyers for it all.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Corolla GR needs to be done ASAP to drag down the cost of the G16E-GTS and the GR4 AWD system. Nothing about the G16E-GTS/GR4 AWD powertrain is 'rally special'. The real 'rally car' aspect of the Yaris GR is the bespoke chassis that's completely separate from a regular TNGA-B Yaris. Whereas the Yaris GR is closer to a Group B homologation special, the GR Corolla should be like Group A.

However, while I think this powertrain is very impressive, the displacement just isn't there. Entering a 1.6L offering against 2.0L competition just won't work. The power-to-weight ratio will already be lower than most of the competition today, not to mention potential competitors two or three years from now.

Reactions
New GR Yaris is going to be widely available vehicle at good price for what it is (first one was not), it is not limited edition car.

Now first one was bad-ass Yaris, but it was basically what i30N is - dropping a better engine into existing thing and then tuning a bit rest of it. Megane RS goes a bit further, with 4 wheel steering.

But they are nothing special compared to GR Yaris though and its AWD system, let alone everything else. I think you have to go to premium brands to actually get similar performance, if even that.

So yeah, if they add that to GR Corolla, it will jump out of the econobox fwd big engine/hp class.

As to the GR Sport and N-line, GR Sport seems like a much better overall effort with more changes and better look, but that is to be expected as Lexus has had success with F-Sport for quite a while.
Doesn't matter how many they make to me, because they don't want to sell it in the US market; kind of makes sense because the Euro Yaris isn't sold here, and doesn't make business sense either since we just get the Mazda2 as ours. The previous Yaris from Japan then France didn't make sense anymore because it cost so much to make and the profit margins sucked, when buyers wanted a cheap car and didn't want to pay for a car that almost cost as much as Corolla.

The Megane and i30N aren't special? To you perhaps, but North American enthusiasts actually do care because they are cars that are priced right and don't break the bank. Same goes for the Fiesta and Focus ST, which we don't get anymore either. I wouldn't call the GR Yaris a bargain (Is the Civic Type R going for the same amount in Europe?), but it is special.

Reactions
Now as to the GR Corolla and US market, it makes me wonder... does anyone know how well is Corolla HB selling in the US? How much sense does GR Corolla make in the US?
The Corolla Hatchback is selling like crazy in the USA and Canada. You see them everywhere and people seem to adore them. A GR CHR is coming too.

Reactions
Doesn't matter how many they make to me, because they don't want to sell it in the US market; kind of makes sense because the Euro Yaris isn't sold here, and doesn't make business sense either since we just get the Mazda2 as ours. The previous Yaris from Japan then France didn't make sense anymore because it cost so much to make and the profit margins sucked, when buyers wanted a cheap car and didn't want to pay for a car that almost cost as much as Corolla.

The Megane and i30N aren't special? To you perhaps, but North American enthusiasts actually do care because they are cars that are priced right and don't break the bank. Same goes for the Fiesta and Focus ST, which we don't get anymore either. I wouldn't call the GR Yaris a bargain (Is the Civic Type R going for the same amount in Europe?), but it is special.

I'd say it's pretty worth it (not necessarily a steal or a bargain) because this thing eats WRX's and WRX STi's alive for a cheaper price too. It's also lighter, handles better, has a better manual, and sounds so much better (literally anything sounds better than the garbage-truck sounding Subaru engines).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Corolla needs Golf GTI rival, no discussion, even just as 'bigger' engine. Same for CHR and RAV4, they need bigger engine version: marketing.

Will1991

Reactions
The Corolla GR needs to be done ASAP to drag down the cost of the G16E-GTS and the GR4 AWD system. Nothing about the G16E-GTS/GR4 AWD powertrain is 'rally special'. The real 'rally car' aspect of the Yaris GR is the bespoke chassis that's completely separate from a regular TNGA-B Yaris. Whereas the Yaris GR is closer to a Group B homologation special, the GR Corolla should be like Group A.

However, while I think this powertrain is very impressive, the displacement just isn't there. Entering a 1.6L offering against 2.0L competition just won't work. The power-to-weight ratio will already be lower than most of the competition today, not to mention potential competitors two or three years from now.

True, but it would come down to pricing... If they managed to do it substancial cheaper than the competition, being more a "warm" hatch than a full fledge mega hatch, it could sell well as well.

But, I don't know if it's really coming... Toyota sports car line up is quite big considering what they were doing some years ago..

Right now we've a GT86 (200hp), GR Yaris (260hp), GR Supra (260/360hp) with a higher powered version coming (GRMN Supra)... It starting to seem too much performance variants for Toyota...

Why not a Lexus compact sedan with the exact powertrain from the Rav4 Prime? It would be excellent on fuel economy and fast as well. I would certainly love to see it! Maybe even as fast as a S3 Sedan, A35 Sedan but much better on fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions
I'd say it's pretty worth it (not necessarily a steal or a bargain) because this thing eats WRX's and WRX STi's alive for a cheaper price too. It's also lighter, handles better, has a better manual, and sounds so much better (literally anything sounds better than the garbage-truck sounding Subaru engines).
Its definitely special from all the comments so far, but I wouldn't put it above everything yet until it actually comes out (in November). Most of the competition is available in most of the world including the USA, but Toyota has never released their rally homologation versions in the USA (like the Celica).

Last edited:
Reactions
The Corolla Hatchback is selling like crazy in the USA and Canada. You see them everywhere and people seem to adore them. A GR CHR is coming too.
IDK if it is selling crazy, but in an CUV market its holding its own, and the hatch is well received by buyers. I haven't checked the numbers, but its still Civic and Corolla at 1 and 2 or whatever.

It will be interesting to see a GR C-HR, since its sales actually went down in 2019, IMO due to more competitors in the market.