The Official Acura Thread: Design Languages, Grilles, Future Models, etc.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Looks like any SUV which means it will sell in droves. They stepped it up with the interior. Seems it keeps the 3.5 V-6 and will offer the 3.0 turbo unit. Let's be honest the current MDX is pretty meh and it's their best seller, this will continue to do well.

What is crazy is how behind the Japanese brands are with power in this class. Audi just dropped their 500hp SQ7. Acura is excited about 355hp. The base Q7 has 335hp option now. The RX is barely past 300hp. The GLE has like 5 engine options with the 450 at 363hp.

Now that i'm googling around I didn't realize how much more the Germans offer. Wow.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Japanese, Italians and British did not surf the wave. The French were hindered long before by their government which did not allow any good conditions for high end development. There were many French brands before and also a number of prestegious ones, equivalent to Maybach.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Looks like it's potentially short on headroom, but we'll see when actual examples are available. Otherwise a solid effort, if a bit generic looking.

Better than "a bit generic" thinking about the massive spindle grilles adorning the LX, GX and RX if that is what it takes to be not generic. Especially on the new GX. Yikes. Could argue most car enthusiasts agree Lexus isn't exactly producing beauty pageant winners currently....I once owned a used '94 Acura Legend in College that was a ridiculously capable and refined 10+ year old car at the time. Had buddies with new very nice cars who'd rather ride in my 10+ year old Legend. That car was extremely well built with a refined interior, smooth powertrain and reliable as hell while being good, if maybe a bit, generic looking. Just butter smooth. I love the quality that Lexus represents....But if the Acura MDX, RDX, TLX are bringing back the early-mid 90's Acura....

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Could argue most car enthusiasts agree Lexus isn't exactly producing beauty pageant winners currently.

If by "most car enthusiasts" you mean "the Jalopnik comments section", I agree 100%. But the reviews on the LC, 5LS, 7ES, and 2021 IS all have gone to some effort to talk about how good they look. And sales increased after the spindle grille was introduced.

I do agree it's all to the good if Acura's bringing back the bubble era, hopefully this time without the high theft rate by people wanting to soup up Civics.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Fair. I was more speaking to the spindle on their SUV offerings. Agree grille fits newer sedans better. Which I'm pretty disappointed by as I also LOVED my GX 470 and would literally run to the dealership to snap up a new GX if they made the front end more appealing and brought the cabin into the modern era. The GX should have been an absolute stalwart in the segment but the interior has been a decade+ behind for too long and Lexus was perfectly happy to let it fade into relative obscurity other than the niche it has as an extremely legit off-roader in the used market.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Either way, I just think Acura looks to have really nailed the way it looks and they gave the interior a drastically needed update. Sure, as many have touched on, it doesn't have the power of the Germans, etc. but it also won't have the maintenance costs and questionable reliability of those vehicles either. Hoping that someday Lexus takes notice and gives some comparably compelling SUV offerings.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Either way, I just think Acura looks to have really nailed the way it looks and they gave the interior a drastically needed update. Sure, as many have touched on, it doesn't have the power of the Germans, etc. but it also won't have the maintenance costs and questionable reliability of those vehicles either. Hoping that someday Lexus takes notice and gives some comparably compelling SUV offerings.
Uhh aCuRa reliability is worse than Germans. It’s been downhill for a decade. They don’t have quality or reliability going for it.

We all assume a larger RX or TX is coming. But looking at sales the RX still damn near outsells they MDX 2-1.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Acura has a modest sales goal for its volume sedan the TLX at 35k a year. Early reports are they are not selling that well. The price and low power seem to be issues.