The NX is one of the worst cars in 2015? Consumer Reports is Crazy

mikeavelli

Reactions
To signify something as "the worst" carries a lot of weight from a respected source. It is not something that should be just thrown around without major thought into the final conclusion. You see reviews online are instantly shared throughout the internet, from car forums to Facebook etc and you will find that they usually are spread not by supporters of the winners, but those that are not particularly fond of the losers. Then the pitchforks arrive and the Lexus is once again burned at the stake. I've seen it online for nearly 15 years, its par the course. Thus when I saw the news of the NX being considered one of the worst by CR I initially really didn't pay it much attention, especially since we have provided a pretty in depth review here and came to the conclusion that the NX is a fantastic and worthy addition to the Lexus lineup.

To be quite frank the CR conclusion is one of the worst assessments of a vehicle I can think of in recent memory. Unfortunately for Lexus this respected automotive source has cast it in the worst light possible and while it would be awesome to see Lexus PR say "you know what CR, STFU" I know thats not going to happen. Fortunately you have a site like Lexus Enthusiast who can offer a proper retort which likely reflects the thinking of not just NX owners, but most honest car people.

The simple fact of the matter is there is no way in hell the NX is one of the worst cars of 2015. Even if you tested only five cars all year, the Porsche 918, the Ferrari LaFerrari (I always grin typing that out), the McLaren P1, the Pagani Huyura and the Lexus NX, a sensible conclusion would be the NX is a great vehicle but simply not anywhere like those 4 other cars. It would be 5th in that comparison test and it would only be worst in the context of the cars it competed against. There is nothing "worst" about the NX.

Another recent source that disagrees with CR is Motor Trend, where the NX won a comparison against a very competitive field. It was dicusssed by us here. I'm not sure how CR then feels the NX is the exact opposite but they are entitled to their opinion. Speaking of their opinion, if you research their initial reaction to the NX, it was quite positive. You can read it for yourself here. So in March they felt it was a pretty good SUV but by August, it stunk so bad it's one of the worst cars of 2015. Did the NX try to eat the editor's baby?

My family had a wedding to attend a couple of weekends ago in Delaware and we decided to fly into Philly and also spend sometime there. Our friends at Lexus Eastern Regional were nice enough to connect us with Wilkie Lexus, the first Lexus dealer in Pennsylvania and winner of the Elite of Lexus award 24 years in a row. I did ask for a SUV since we were traveling with Mini-Mike and were granted a pretty loaded NX in beautiful fire agate pearl. I immediately told KREW and the editorial team I would have an opportunity to refresh my NX review and experience and offer a proper retort to CR. While I was pretty confident my feelings on the NX would still be strong after my first review I also did think that maybe some of the charm might be lost and maybe CR had a point.

It became quickly clear after only a few miles that CR is completely wrong and stating the NX is that poor has to be some sort of joke or maybe a troll escaped from the Lord of the Rings and made it as an automotive writer. Those are pretty much the only conclusions I can make. I do agree the ride isn't the usual Lexus plush and the touchpad controller takes some getting used to, but having driven dozens of cars in the past year, I can think of far worse cars than the NX. Maybe they are still upset there was in infotainment error the day after purchase, but lets be honest, that is pretty rare for a Lexus. I over analyzed every bit of the NX, I drove it slow, fast, I took it on corners and flats and didn't see what CR saw. I reviewed every panel gap, played with every function and moved every seat around. Even my least favorite part of the NX no longer seemed that bad since we were using a much smaller stroller and baby-seat (rear seat and cargo room).

The NX again proved to have proper luxuries and tech for its class, good pickup when I needed to merge with traffic as well as great MPG. My wife who initially felt the NX was too small and not her cup of tea couldn't stop raving about it this second time around. For those that have met my wife, there is no way she would be attracted to the worst of anything, that includes me (I might not be Brad Pitt with Bill Gates money but I'm not the worst lol). We really enjoyed the NX on the highway and navigating on those small roads in Wilmington and Philadelphia. Parking was a cinch and everything worked well. I simply could not wrap my head around this is one of the worst cars of 2015.

Could I be wrong? Well looking at sales, the NX sold second in class last month with over 4,000 units sold. Dealers are having a hard time keeping them in stock. Sales for the NX are doing extremely well in a very strong field where the competition is great and fresh. I honestly can't think of a "worst" car in this class since even Acura finally brought the RDX to 2010 technology standards. They are all quite good. Lexus has also giving us a regular NX, a F-Sport and hybrid, a rare red interior color choice in the class and some neat tricks like the amplified bluetooth sound system and optional wireless charger for your phone. Again the NX has fared well in competitive reviews as well.

I'm not going to pick apart their entire list for it would take up my entire Sunday, for example no idea why the GTI AND Golf are picked as best cars, they are the same damn car. All we are here to say is, Consumer Reports you are completely wrong on your NX assessment and you should be ashamed for promoting such ridiculous conclusions.

( iPhone6 Plus pic)
IMG_1311[5].JPG

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I wonder if CR somehow got a lemon NX, or just an unlucky NX with some unusual issues?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
" or maybe a troll escaped from the Lord of the Rings and made it as an automotive writer"

L-O-F'ing-L

Great review, Mike.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-14-lexus-nx-trolls-consumer-reports-400x200.jpg

Consumer Reports calls the Lexus NX one of the worst cars of 2015, and in the process prove they're ill-equipped to review much more than toasters and refrigerators.
View the original article post

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Straight up trolling. They trying limit the damage lexus is bound to do to the German brands. They know this brand got an iron fist

Reactions
I've just read the lengthy and very detailed full Consumer Reports road test report which has just been posted on its website and is available only to subscribers. Did Mike Forsythe do that? I don't see any comment in their report that says it is one of the worst vehicles tested this year. (I'd be pleased if someone showed me where that statement is.) In fact, he two NXs tested earned scores of 71 and 74 with many aspects commented on positively and only some negatively.

To those who denigrate CR's auto testing, I would urge them to read on CRs website exactly how they conduct their month-long comparative tests after actually buying each vehicle. Auto magazines, in contrast do far less thorough and detailed tests and comparisons,and use free vehicles carefully selected by manufacturers and not necessarily representative of the model line . And, of course auto magazines depend on those same makers to pay for the testing by advertising in their magazines, unlike CR which relies solely on its readers for income. Finally, it would be instructive to look at the background and experience qualifications of CRs testers now available on the website. You might be pleasantly surprised.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just don't see it and I am not a CUV
I've just read the lengthy and very detailed full Consumer Reports road test report which has just been posted on its website and is available only to subscribers. Did Mike Forsythe do that? I don't see any comment in their report that says it is one of the worst vehicles tested this year. (I'd be pleased if someone showed me where that statement is.) In fact, he two NXs tested earned scores of 71 and 74 with many aspects commented on positively and only some negatively.

To those who denigrate CR's auto testing, I would urge them to read on CRs website exactly how they conduct their month-long comparative tests after actually buying each vehicle. Auto magazines, in contrast do far less thorough and detailed tests and comparisons,and use free vehicles carefully selected by manufacturers and not necessarily representative of the model line . And, of course auto magazines depend on those same makers to pay for the testing by advertising in their magazines, unlike CR which relies solely on its readers for income. Finally, it would be instructive to look at the background and experience qualifications of CRs testers now available on the website. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Mr. Pontiac.

Here is the link where CR states the NX is one of the worst cars of 2015. My apologies if it wasn't easy to find in the write-uo.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/08/best-and-worst-cars-of-2015/index.htm

Reactions
I actually agree with them. It is not good to just be a fan boy and accept anything.
I have driven the NX in Hybrid and Turbo a lot, I actually prefer not to drive it, as i just don't like it.
Id do like; the styling and the layout of the interior.
I don't like; the cheap materials in the cabin, it doesn't speak well of Lexus as a brand. They should have stuck to their tradition guns of quality materials, the CT also fits in that category.
The drive is very average and not like a luxury ride barely at all, it is noisy, harsh ride, and too much body roll on the corners.
The hybrid engine is underdone, it is just a carry over Camry Hybrid engine, it didn't get the upgrades like the IS300h which it really needs. The turbo engine is good, but the 6 Speed Auto is terrible, it is very hard to get the power down evenly.
It is way too much RAV 4, it has a very skinny wheel track and high center of gravity, it cant compete dynamically with the likes of a Q5.
In saying all of that, it is selling beyond anyone's expectations, and that is all that really matters.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I actually agree with them. It is not good to just be a fan boy and accept anything.
I have driven the NX in Hybrid and Turbo a lot, I actually prefer not to drive it, as i just don't like it.
Id do like; the styling and the layout of the interior.
I don't like; the cheap materials in the cabin, it doesn't speak well of Lexus as a brand. They should have stuck to their tradition guns of quality materials, the CT also fits in that category.
The drive is very average and not like a luxury ride barely at all, it is noisy, harsh ride, and too much body roll on the corners.
The hybrid engine is underdone, it is just a carry over Camry Hybrid engine, it didn't get the upgrades like the IS300h which it really needs. The turbo engine is good, but the 6 Speed Auto is terrible, it is very hard to get the power down evenly.
It is way too much RAV 4, it has a very skinny wheel track and high center of gravity, it cant compete dynamically with the likes of a Q5.
In saying all of that, it is selling beyond anyone's expectations, and that is all that really matters.

Were you once bitten by Consumer Reports? J/K...

Sorry I don't agree with this at all but we are all entitled to our opinions. :) I've driven the Q5 and I am unsure what dynamics are so superior until you step into the 55k SQ5. If one wants to say the NX is merely competent and not exceptional I think that is much more fair than saying its horrible and the worst around.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
" Could I be wrong? Well looking at sales, the NX sold second in class last month with over 4,000 units sold. "

Come on " LexFather "

As a writer of the monthly report of the US Sales in Arabic at " assayyarat.com ", I'm happy to till you with that fact . Lexus NX is't the second in it's class last month .

It's the best selling SUV in it's class last month with 4448 units sold, and the second in it's class in " Year-to-Date " figures by 28,834 units sold .

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
All we are here to say is, Consumer Reports you are completely wrong on your NX assessment and you should be ashamed for promoting such ridiculous conclusions.

Did you send CR a copy if this?

Me, I'm generally in the middle on this controversy. I totally agree that the NX is not in a "Worst Vehicle" category by any means, but I don't think it's as refined in its road manners or interior materials as as it should be for the Lexus nameplate . Overall, I was somewhat more impressed with the Lincoln MKC.

Let's see if CR comes out with a paragraph in next month's issue (or maybe even an update soon on their website) explaining exactly what they meant by the "Worst Vehicle" term. I already said in a previous post (and I would almost bet on it) that I think what they actually meant is that they were comparing it in a relative sense to the rest of this model-year's newly-introduced or extensively-redesigned vehicles and how those vehicles scored, not simply panning it as an absolute worst-vehicle down there at the bottom of the barrel with, say, the Smart-for-Two. We all know that the NX is not a bottom-barrel vehicle.....there is no argument on that.

Last edited:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
My dad has the latest gen Rav4 and it's night and day different in NVH, ride quality, comfort, handling, materials quality, fit/finish, and tech. To reference the NX as a worst 2015 vehicle is saying the RAV4 is an even worst vehicle which would be a farce since the RAV4 is a top vehicle in its class.

Needless to say, already 9 months into ownership with the NX and it's the sexiest (especially with these Vossen VFS1) and best over-all Lexus I have owned to date! :cool::D

upload_2015-9-14_23-5-4.png

mikeavelli

Reactions
" Could I be wrong? Well looking at sales, the NX sold second in class last month with over 4,000 units sold. "

Come on " LexFather "

As a writer of the monthly report of the US Sales in Arabic at " assayyarat.com ", I'm happy to till you with that fact . Lexus NX is't the second in it's class last month .

It's the best selling SUV in it's class last month with 4448 units sold, and the second in it's class in " Year-to-Date " figures by 28,834 units sold .

Hi Madi...

The data is from the sales list I compile every month. The Q5 was first in August. (maybe you group the Q5 with the RX category but based on size I don't. Maybe that is where we differ).

Small SUV
Q5- 5,051
NX- 4,448
RDX- 4,364
MKC- 2,411
GLK- 2,168
X3- 2,127
X4- 453
QX50- 251

Lexus Enthusiast-August 2015 Auto Sales Thread (Lexus #1)

Madi

Fan
Reactions

Come on " LexFather "

Hi Madi...

The data is from the sales list I compile every month. The Q5 was first in August. (maybe you group the Q5 with the RX category but based on size I don't. Maybe that is where we differ).

Small SUV
Q5- 5,051
NX- 4,448
RDX- 4,364
MKC- 2,411
GLK- 2,168
X3- 2,127
X4- 453
QX50- 251

Lexus Enthusiast-August 2015 Auto Sales Thread (Lexus #1)
Hi ,

No the Q5 in the same category " Compact Crossover ", and with respect to our source the Q5 sales last month is 3839 units, and it's in the third place after the NX and RDX .

I don't know may be the source is wrong, look at it here

Thanks .

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi ,

No the Q5 in the same category " Compact Crossover ", and with respect to our source the Q5 sales last month is 3839 units, and it's in the third place after the NX and RDX .

I don't know may be the source is wrong, look at it here http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/09/usa-luxury-suv-crossover-sales-figures-august-2015-ytd.html

Thanks .

Hi Madi,

Unfortunately that source is wrong. My source is from Audi.

http://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...th-straight-monthly-u-s-record-in-august-2015

I don't use goodcar/badcar as a main source but as an additional one because their charts always seem to have errors or are outdated.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
Hi ,

I don't know may be the source is wrong, look at it here http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/09/usa-luxury-suv-crossover-sales-figures-august-2015-ytd.html

Thanks .

Hi Madi,

Unfortunately that source is wrong. My source is from Audi.

http://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...th-straight-monthly-u-s-record-in-august-2015

I don't use goodcar/badcar as a main source but as an additional one because their charts always seem to have errors or are outdated.
OMG

maybe I need to correct that .

Thank you so much ..

Spencer Chapin

Premium Member
Reactions
As a owner of a NX F Sport I think that it is a very well styled vehicle. The NX is not a RX by any means and was never meant to be. Coming from 2 BMWs first a X3 and later a X1 M Sport.
The NX handles surprisingly well, as good as the X3 but not as good as the X1. Power wise there is no comparison, both BMWs had the 3 liter turbo engines. The transmission is much better than the 6 speed in the X1 but about the same as the 8 speed in the X3.
I look at the competition as the Audi Q3, Acura RDX, BMW X1, Lincoln what ever it is, and the Mercedes GLA250.
I no longer drive a BMW because the service department could not repair the X1. They admitted that it had a problem but said that they did not know how to fix it and I would have to live with the problem. BMW corporate backed up the dealer.

Spencer Chapin

Premium Member
Reactions
Is the NX the best vehicle in the class? I depends on what you want and expect. Do you want performance then look at a BMW X1 M-Sport 35 if you can find one or a Mercedes GL450. Do you want comfort look at the Acura or Lincoln. The Audi and the NX seem about even but the NX looks better from my point of view. The NX interior is as nice as anything in its class. Remember this is not a RX or BMW X3.
The more that I drive the NX the better I get to know it. Sometime next week I will take it up into the Colorado mountains on a color trip. So far the transmission does not have the hunting for a gear that a BMW X1 28 has, the 35 with a Dynan tune was very good in the mountains. With the NX I have 140 less horsepower so I will see how it acts.