internalaudit

Admirer
Reactions
Just shocked at the problems and service issues on that forum.
I read a bit more today. Crazy stuff.

Terrible experience from some and dealers don't know how to fix some of them. One poster said three of his friends sold their Taycans because of all the issues.

I think Toyota and Honda who kinda excel in HEVs will do okay with their BEVs.

internalaudit

Admirer
Reactions
I'm hoping they get the grill right on other Lexus BEVs.

I don't know why it has to be a signature grill if it kinda mars the overall looks. Even Audi's etrons have the same grill shape as their ICEV counterparts but colored and designed differently yet they don't look bad.

The RZ looking good/perfect in black means there's something wrong with the grill design. Oh well, I'm not the target audience and hoping the IS BEV or smaller Lexus BEV will look more appealing.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I'm hoping they get the grill right on other Lexus BEVs.

I don't know why it has to be a signature grill if it kinda mars the overall looks. Even Audi's etrons have the same grill shape as their ICEV counterparts but colored and designed differently yet they don't look bad.
Although the RZ is a completely new and completely different type of car, it is still a Lexus so should be expected to carry some form of brand identity, which is the front fascia (including grille, if needed).

The RZ looking good/perfect in black means there's something wrong with the grill design. Oh well, I'm not the target audience and hoping the IS BEV or smaller Lexus BEV will look more appealing.

I was surprised at this mea culpa. While honesty is nice, this just gives too much invitation to vocal critics to argue that Lexus is lost in the woods, much like Lincoln and Acura were/are lost (both those brands were unsure what they should be and gave in too quickly and easily to critics, as witnessed by changes in their grilles).

I remember the early responses to Audi's Singleframe grille with many saying that it would be the death of Audi. But Audi kept at it and kept refining it. It was even copied (by Hyundai). It is now a recognized and accepted token of Audi's identity.

Whenever a brand makes a styling change, there will be critics but we have to remember that styling is subjective and there is no right or wrong. Give it time -- and the revisions that come in time -- and most people come to accept the change, in time.

internalaudit

Admirer
Reactions
Although the RZ is a completely new and completely different type of car, it is still a Lexus so should be expected to carry some form of brand identity, which is the front fascia (including grille, if needed).

I was surprised at this mea culpa. While honesty is nice, this just gives too much invitation to vocal critics to argue that Lexus is lost in the woods, much like Lincoln and Acura were/are lost (both those brands were unsure what they should be and gave in too quickly and easily to critics, as witnessed by changes in their grilles).

I remember the early responses to Audi's Singleframe grille with many saying that it would be the death of Audi. But Audi kept at it and kept refining it. It was even copied (by Hyundai). It is now a recognized and accepted token of Audi's identity.

Whenever a brand makes a styling change, there will be critics but we have to remember that styling is subjective and there is no right or wrong. Give it time -- and the revisions that come in time -- and most people come to accept the change, in time.
Oh, forgot this was the RZ. I can be in the market for one, but only for a used one and if priced decently (which may never be the case with the supply chain problems).

The new RX to me looked worse with the hump back whale head design.

I still don't get how Lexus made it look nice on the refreshed IS and pretty darn okay with the UX and the NX but botched them up on the RX and the RZ (I know, it didn't deviate from the prototype much).

With the Audi, the grill doesn't draw much attention with its hexagonal symmetric shape. And usually, at least to me, longer than taller grills mean more pleasing to the eyes -- Porsches, old Honda's, old Toyota's, old Ford's. I guess I'm old-fashioned haha.

lexus-2022-ux-250h-f-sport-series-two-ultra-white-headlights-x.jpg

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I honestly have no issue with the RZ use of the grill. I agree the RX is the worst interpretation of the spindle. I am assuming it won’t be the last to incorporate the grill into the body which actually minimizes the black grill some people ***** about.

Will1991

Reactions
Apparently the radiant heating element can heat up to around 100ºC, but it's equipped with a built-in contact sensor that detects an occupant’s contact and stops heating. Even if it's at maximum temperature, if it senses any touch it will drop it to bellow 50ºC to avoid injuries.

Source: https://www.denso.com/global/en/news/newsroom/2022/20220413-g01/

(It's about the bz4X, but it should be the same component)

20220413-01g-04.jpg

And here is a cut out view from the motors:

150kW unit:

9f0c78441ffc8e99dffd9e97e38c5658_1.png

80kW unit with lower height to avoid impact on the boot space:

67cdb4a7edfc364781b616eb53abf7c3.png

They're also equipped with RC-IGBT to improve efficiency.