The Demise of the Car and Rise of the SUV in One Photo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gecko, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:16 PM.

1. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    [​IMG]

Here's a scene from the Los Angeles Auto Show. This is at the BMW display, and you have the BMW X7 parked next to the BMW 8 Series. Both of these are brand-new models, recently revealed and both are coming out shortly: the 8 Series right now, and the X7 should be out within the next few months. And the number of people excitedly checking out the two cars is a great representation of the current state of cars and SUVs.

On the left, you have the 8 Series, BMW's hot new coupe, which -- years ago -- would've sparked a huge collective gasp of excitement on the floor of the LA Auto Show. No longer. On the right, you have the X7, and you can see where the interest is: there are five people visibly poring over every detail of the X7, whereas nobody is even looking at the 8 Series.

Admittedly, this was just a few minutes of observation, and it could've been a complete anomaly, but I don't think it was. I walked back to the X7 several times to check it out, and I was disappointed each time that it was absolutely full of journalists: in the front seats, in the back seats, in the cargo area. It wasn't really possible to get a closer look, so I'll have to do that another time.

The 8 Series, meanwhile, was the opposite: nobody really gathered around, and not much general interest on the show floor. Admittedly, the X7 is a bit newer, and it was revealed more recently -- and that's surely a reason why the SUV was getting more attention than the car. But there's also a general point to be made here: the journalists covering the LA Auto Show know the X7 is going to be one of the hottest new cars their readers and viewers will want to check out, so they're eschewing the once-hot sporty car for a 3-row family hauler. Indeed, we're now living in the age of the SUV.

Source: https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/picture-great-representation-cars-vs-suvs-281474979900007

We talk a lot about this here in the monthly sales threads, and I thought this pic spoke to it pretty directly. Crazy how everyone has begged for another 8 series for the last 20 years... now we have it and nobody cares.

RAL and Ian Schmidt like this.
  2. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    Bro when were you there? I was there press days Wednesday and early Thursday. What is absolutely nuts is your post is something I 100% observed myself and it left my scratching my head. I legit could not even get a photo of the X7, it was full of people in and outside it. The 8 series an Z4 were empty when I was there. Easy to snap pics.

Crazy this thread was my exact thought and it was the same observation.

RAL, Ian Schmidt and Trexus like this.
  3. MichaelL
    Really sad. I guess I am strange.... I would be all over the 8 series and the Z4, and wouldn't give more than a passing glance at the X7. I just don't understand the fascination with SUV's.

mmcartalk, RAL and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  4. Gecko
    I wish I was there... this was just something I shared. I miss the auto show circuit!

5. Gecko
    It's definitely down to personal preferences, but I used to feel like you for a long time. I drove a modified GS for several years and also had TRD Camrys before that. Acceleration, cornering, handling, etc. were all very important to me. Owning an SUV seemed stupid and unnecessary.

Then I bought a house, adopted some dogs, started renovation projects around the house, my yard needed to be relandscaped, began regularly taking road trips to the beach and to see family... and the SUV made a lot more sense for me. I'm also 6'1", and as I get older, getting in and out of an SUV is a lot easier for me.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have a coupe - like an LC or 8 Series - as a fun weekend car, but that's a looooong ways off for me financially. With everything else I have going on, my 4Runner is just a better vehicle for me right now.

I think a lot of America feels the same way... SUVs are just easier for bigger families and active lifestyles. The cheap price of gas and increasing efficiency of SUVs just makes the decision that much easier.

Even trips to Sams Club and Target... rolls of toilet paper and paper towels + everything else... those trips are way easier in an SUV.

RAL likes this.
  6. mmcartalk
    A lot of people (and the media) think that gas prices are a big factor in the choice between a sedan or an SUV, but if you really look at the EPA numbers, there really isn't much difference between most of today's crossovers and their sedan counterparts in typical gas mileage ratings. The main difference (and most of the gas-hog reputation) comes from the big, truck-based, body-on-frame SUVs....they gobble gas like trucks because they, in fact, are trucks.

Ian Schmidt likes this.
  7. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    Yeah, crossovers typically have little or no mileage penalty vs. their sedan platform-mates, and even the BOF trucks have gotten a lot better.

8. mmcartalk
    I agree with you...but for different reasons. Give me a nice, big, softly-sprung, high-profile-tire, easy-riding sedan. SUVs, though, are driving both of us out of the market.

It's obvious, though, why some people like SUVs....winter traction, higher seating position for short drivers, and more room inside to carry larger, bulky objects.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.