The 3rd-gen Toyota Tacoma thread (mid-cycle refresh)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota needs to fire back and put the 389 horsepower V6 and make it rev happy, and get rid of the turbo lag.
Depends on whether they can convince HQ with a business case while simultaneously convincing their BOF loyalists that the Turbo Generation is dependable. Right now the 1st should be easy, the second is proving to be difficult with the Tundra Wastegate issues.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota needs to fire back and put the 389 horsepower V6 and make it rev happy, and get rid of the turbo lag.
As @ssun30 said elsewhere, Toyota's TNGA Dynamic Force engines are very undersquare engines (i.e. very long stroke compared to cylinder bore) so they are NOT rev-happy engines. If you want a rev-happy engine, you will have to hope for a completely new, oversquare engine.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My assumption is the Tacoma TRD PRO will probably come with the ~350hp/425lb-ft “500h” powertrain pairing 2.4L T4 to a hybrid system.

It is typical Toyota to not play the horsepower war and use what’s already in their toy chest, and since Tundra is getting 3.4L TTV6 + hybrid, 2.4L T4 + hybrid for the Tacoma makes sense as the next step down.

The other option might be the “SR” 348hp tune of the V35A-FTS, but it will be easier to engineer the Tacoma to be 4cyl only and save the V6 for the GX to make it look like an upgrade.

Reactions
As @ssun30 said elsewhere, Toyota's TNGA Dynamic Force engines are very undersquare engines (i.e. very long stroke compared to cylinder bore) so they are NOT rev-happy engines. If you want a rev-happy engine, you will have to hope for a completely new, oversquare engine.
You're right about the V35A-FTS being an undersquare engine and I'm completely aware, I was only saying that Toyota could encourage better throttle response from the V35A-FTS. I worded my initial comment incorrectly.

Depends on whether they can convince HQ with a business case while simultaneously convincing their BOF loyalists that the Turbo Generation is dependable. Right now the 1st should be easy, the second is proving to be difficult with the Tundra Wastegate issues.
How the times have changed.

Before it was harder to make a business case than to convince customers that your cars were bomb-proof reliable and now it's the opposite lol.

Also, the wastegate issues are blown way out of proportion for the Tundra. This is just the customers of the truck market being insanely harsh. They, other than people who want a drivers car, are the toughest crowd to appease.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If Blue Nexus numbers are to be believed, the 550h system can have up to 650N.m of torque and 550N.m minimum.

Toyota is determined to play the torque war not power war against it's competitors.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Blue Nexus numbers are to be believed, the 550h system can have up to 650N.m of torque and 550N.m minimum.

Toyota is determined to play the torque war not power war against it's competitors.

I guess it would depend on if the "550h" (GX 550h trademarked) would be V6-based or I4-based, but if it's V6-based, 650nm/480lb-ft of torque is what it would need to be competitive, so I'm not sure 405-480lb-ft is particularly impressive to me for the ~2025 model year. 405-480lb-ft out of an I4 hybrid would be impressive to me though.

If RX and TX are going to get 2.4L I4T hybrid "500h," I guess "550h" could be the same system but with a stronger battery. My only question there would be if the 3GX will be engineered to accommodate a 4 cylinder engine? Perhaps with TNGA scalability, it might.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I guess it would depend on if the "550h" (GX 550h trademarked) would be V6-based or I4-based, but if it's V6-based, 650nm/480lb-ft of torque is what it would need to be competitive, so I'm not sure 405-480lb-ft is particularly impressive to me for the ~2025 model year. 405-480lb-ft out of an I4 hybrid would be impressive to me though.

If RX and TX are going to get 2.4L I4T hybrid "500h," I guess "550h" could be the same system but with a stronger battery. My only question there would be if the 3GX will be engineered to accommodate a 4 cylinder engine? Perhaps with TNGA scalability, it might.
If the I4 is getting dropped into the GX, folks will be migrating away.

V6 hybrid 350 hp/466 ft/lb will be their target.

Reactions
Carmaker's take on the next Taco:
920B Tacoma is indeed being developed with both I4s and a Dynamic Force V6 engine. The threat of our P703N with its twin-turbo V6 range, has Toyota not handicapping their best seller. It's gonna be a big batttttle between the two! Toyota is going all out on the next Tacoma, as expected. Tundra just seems to be more a preview of that vehicle, more than anything.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Exactly. Across its entire global range, Toyota considers the P703 Ranger an existential threat. Even rumors of P703's specifications were enough to provoke Toyota to preemptively upgrade the Hilux. The dominance of Hilux and Tacoma cannot be challenged in any scenario.

If the Hilux is getting the 700N.m F33 diesel, then for sure the Tacoma should receive a powertrain with similar amount of torque, no matter how it's done (V6 or I4 hybrid).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
TRD gonna get quite spicy with this new one...Thanks @Carmaker1 and Ford for lighting a fire...

TT V6s and EVs from both the underdog (Ford) and Segment leader (Toyota). Both programs are suppose to launch in close succession.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
That is really great news. I was starting to think we would only see the turbo 4 as the only option, so this is great. It’ll be interesting to see if this is the 3.5 TT V6 or something new with a lower displacement. My guess is the latter, or maybe both.