Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm biased but I think the GX is pretty great and definitely is a blueprint/case in strong execution for why people love classic Toyota BOF SUVs.

Reactions: RAL

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Have an recent LX 570 now. Love it. But probably still more emotionally tied to the GX 460 I had previously. It's just such a capable and imperfect luxury truck. Upright, boxy, fantastic views, incredibly capable, maneuverable is parking garages, towed boats.... Just loved it. Damn I kinda miss it now, maybe LX is in jeopardy lol. When we built our lake home, I towed several of the contractors American trucks out of the sandy lot and it was just so satisfying with how pissed they were this "fancy Toyota" was saving their bacon.

Mike, I remember you saying you never really understood the prior GX but you've seen some iteration of the upcoming GX and you're pumped. I hope it keeps the soul of the prior GX.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Have an recent LX 570 now. Love it. But probably still more emotionally tied to the GX 460 I had previously. It's just such a capable and imperfect luxury truck. Upright, boxy, fantastic views, incredibly capable, maneuverable is parking garages, towed boats.... Just loved it. Damn I kinda miss it now, maybe LX is in jeopardy lol. When we built our lake home, I towed several of the contractors American trucks out of the sandy lot and it was just so satisfying with how pissed they were this "fancy Toyota" was saving their bacon.

Mike, I remember you saying you never really understood the prior GX but you've seen some iteration of the upcoming GX and you're pumped. I hope it keeps the soul of the prior GX.
GX/Prado vs LX/Landcruiser is a bit like 718 vs 911, the former is potentially better, but the later has a name/heritage that needs to be guarded.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Been wondering if I should upgrade or not...

I'm not "gotta have it" with CarPlay, but it would be nice to have Waze on the screen when I need it vs. holding my phone, as GA is a hands free state.

Random thing I dislike: Starting in 2022, Lexus replaced the wood trim around the window and lock switches on the door panel with black plastic. On my 2021, it's wood and does look much nicer IMO.

2021:
used-2021-lexus-gx-gx460premium4wd-11151-21492840-12-1024.jpg

vs.

2022+:

used-2022-lexus-gx-gx460premium4wd-11805-21501210-32-640.jpg

My 2023 just arrived and I pick it up on Wednesday, but I asked them to swap all four window switch trims between my 2021 and the 2023.

Petty, but details matter 😬

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Its a 2021 and a half model now gecko

One day a very confused and detail oriented senior citizen researching sensible used lexus SUVs will be brought low by what youve done here

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
one thing special I feel about the current ( now last gen) gen GX/Prado is that it is exactly what many people wanted, a smaller land cruiser/lx that is more nimble around town. Key word here is smaller...

The fact that the new GX is now land cruiser sized pretty much ( and actually wider thanks to the side mirrors - If the specs are accurate) takes away abit of that honestly, even though I don't doubt it'll be great to drive and overall a better vehicle but still.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So how did this happen? Want the details!

It happened! Wood trim and all 😂

I loved my '21 Atomic Silver/Black GX and if I'm honest, still mourning the loss a bit. Unfortunately it seems like a very rare combo Lexus rarely builds, so I wasn't able to order another. Getting used to the Caviar and Sepia though -- ceramic tint happening later today, so that will help a lot too. Not used to driving a car with no tint!

IMG_9146.jpegIMG_9150.jpegIMG_9151.jpegIMG_9155.jpegIMG_9157.jpegIMG_9166.jpegIMG_9168.jpeg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
one thing special I feel about the current ( now last gen) gen GX/Prado is that it is exactly what many people wanted, a smaller land cruiser/lx that is more nimble around town. Key word here is smaller...

The fact that the new GX is now land cruiser sized pretty much ( and actually wider thanks to the side mirrors - If the specs are accurate) takes away abit of that honestly, even though I don't doubt it'll be great to drive and overall a better vehicle but still.

I'm with you on this. I am more confused with what Toyota is planning with so many models that are the same size. If Land Cruiser 300, LX, GX, Prado/US Land Cruiser and 4Runner all have the same wheelbase... that's a lot of product saturation.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm with you on this. I am more confused with what Toyota is planning with so many models that are the same size. If Land Cruiser 300, LX, GX, Prado/US Land Cruiser and 4Runner all have the same wheelbase... that's a lot of product saturation capital efficiencies