The 2020 Aviator...Lincoln does a NICE job.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I was at my favorite Ford/Lincoln shop today, test-driving a new F-150 for (possibly) our condo-maintenance man, who needs a new truck (I'll do a separate thread on the F-150 test-drive experience), and, on the way out, looked at a new Aviator in the showroom, without doing a test-drive. I was absolutely taken aback at the quality and solidness of the materials and trim, inside and out. It was like a downsized version of the excellent Navigator, but, in some ways, even more impressively built and assembled. Lincoln, with several recent models, is apparently going all-out to redeem itself after years (too many years) of goofy styling, cost-cutting, cheap materials, indifferent build quality, Ford look-alikes/drive-alikes, and (with some exceptions), marketing mainly to those in Florida Bingo-Houses. This Aviator, IMO, even without a test-drive, simply blows away much of its competition, and, IMO, if the people at Cadillac were wise, they would buy a couple of different versions of the new Aviator and have their engineers disassemble the vehicles and check out the materials and construction.

Pictures, BTW, don't really do this interior justice...you have to check it out in person to see how nice it is built. I didn't care for the upright video-screen housing (which, IMO, should have been integrated into the dash)...but everything else is A-1.

19_LNC_AVT_exthotspot.tif

2018-Lincoln-Aviator-front-interior-03.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

is-the-lincoln-aviat-20_800x0w.jpg

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
It's a really well done product. Production started on May 6, but this was the brainchild of Mark Fields, who wanted to see Lincoln thrive, as opposed to Alan Mulally's cynical outlook towards the brand, but kept it on life support to pacify the Ford heirs.

I hope Lexus can deliver in this area soon and not just with a 5-seater LQ. But a 7-8 seater unibody, in the vein of GLS. Would be funny if that is what the next RX becomes on GA-L and then the NX become the lone GA-K crossover. I think it's time.

Where the RX is positioned as a family hauler (GLS) or mid-size RWD (NOT flagship level) RWD crossover (GLE competitor), under specialized Urus-like LQ 500 and LQ-F.

2019 UX - GA-C FWD/AWD unibody
2021 NX - 5-seater FWD/AWD GA-K
2022 RX - 5-seater AWD midsize GA-L
2022 RXL - 7-seater AWD GA-L
2023 GX - GA-F midsize BOF
2021 LQ - 4-seater GA-L large flagship RWD performance crossover
2022 LX - GA-F flagship utility BOF

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Production started on May 6,

Since you (apparently) have some ties to the industry, if production started six weeks ago, why the delay in getting them to dealerships? We briefly had one at a local Ford/Lincoln shop several weeks ago, but that was not one for sale....it was a company rep in a factory-owned pre-production model who just stopped by. At this rate, though, Ford will have the new 2020 Explorers out before the Aviators come in.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Since you (apparently) have some ties to the industry, if production started six weeks ago, why the delay in getting them to dealerships? We briefly had one at a local Ford/Lincoln shop several weeks ago, but that was not one for sale....it was a company rep in a factory-owned pre-production model who just stopped by. At this rate, though, Ford will have the new 2020 Explorers out before the Aviators come in.

That is simply industry standard. An all-new modular platform vehicle is not being rushed out that quickly, so late June/July launch is being generous.

Both CD6 SUVs entered production on May 6, so it takes about 8-10 weeks of lead time on average to build enough for the lots, especially when involving quality control. They go on sale in the summer, as promised. Only very few people (outside Ford) knew about Job 1 date, but I've been putting that out there so we're all informed.

Toyota models that begin production in August, mostly go on sale in October. There is also a difference in start of production vs. first fully assembled units, which the latter can only be affected by post-production processes. Less complex vehicles have smaller lead times with production to 1st assembled unit, where as Rolls-Royce and Bugatti are probably the worst with lead times.

They are not late or delayed, but on time as expected. I made this similar point 2 years ago with the LC, on correcting @krew about some LCs in North America in March 2017 not being production cars (yet), but more likely pilot production builds, because it takes time to ship to dealerships. On the other hand, some dealers will get production units early enough before official launch date. Case in point, some of the first LS 400s were even sold and handed off to customers in August 1989, before national September 1, 1989 launch. I will elaborate on that later on actually (LS wise).

Last edited: