Tesla model Y deliveries start tomorrow

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
Contrary to some reports of “summer “or late 2020 the model Y starts deliveries tomorrow.
Call it what you will but for 53k you get , AWD , 315 mile range ,0-60 in 4.8 seconds, access to supercharger network, OTA updates, and a good looking hatch back design with additional space, headroom and utility over the sedan 3.

I’m no longer sure we should even try to compete with Tesla , not sure it’s possible.
We might as well just keep doing what we do best, gas and hybrid cars and suvs.

Will1991

Reactions
This one seems to have been massively improved over TM3 quality...

It does looks like they’re learning quickly.

When Giga Berlin opens and if they manage to get lower prices... Europe will definitely change.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Contrary to some reports of “summer “or late 2020 the model Y starts deliveries tomorrow.
Call it what you will but for 53k you get , AWD , 315 mile range ,0-60 in 4.8 seconds, access to supercharger network, OTA updates, and a good looking hatch back design with additional space, headroom and utility over the sedan 3.

I’m no longer sure we should even try to compete with Tesla , not sure it’s possible.
We might as well just keep doing what we do best, gas and hybrid cars and suvs.

Top end shown in pic there is $72k before state incentives.

Not a small amount of money.

All that being said, it will double Tesla's sales worldwide, including 3 sales lost... as long as they can produce them.

And as long as competition does not show up.

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
$72 k is in effect checking every box , kinda like an x5m or a RX450h F sport with all the options including Pano roof, hud,ML,nav,etc.
Most of them sold will be 53 to 59k
Right fat in the RX price range.
Oh and there is little competition , Audi Etron and Jag ipace is really all that’s out there and the are way more $ and have much less range.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Oh and there is little competition , Audi Etron and Jag ipace is really all that’s out there and the are way more $ and have much less range.

I saw figures on Twitter to the effect that the E-tron was close to outselling Tesla's entire lineup in the EU. We'll see how this changes things.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I saw figures on Twitter to the effect that the E-tron was close to outselling Tesla's entire lineup in the EU. We'll see how this changes things.

keep in mind that is because Tesla delivers cars only one month per quarter, some weird stuff they do. And it is mostly about Norway I think.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Is this along the same trick that artificially inflates their delivery numbers?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
No, it's more about logistics of having only 1 factory (in Fremont, CA) supplying all cars for North America, EU, etc.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
This one seems to have been massively improved over TM3 quality...

It does looks like they’re learning quickly.

Actually current (2019/2020) M3 quality is slightly better than MY now, but only a relatively low number of MY's built so far. I looked over a Y inside and out on Friday, definitely US customers will see value in the $4K price difference over equivalent M3 Long Range AWD.

Yes, the manufacturing hell experience has paid off, even after adjustments M3 today is built with more automation than any US car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i dont think in the end it matters, that kind of stuff works only one quarter.

But however you cant check Tesla sales in Europe for January, see 4000 cars sold in whole Europe, and think they are selling 50k/year there while Audi is going to do the same because E-tron had big delivery in January in Norway.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yup people have taken delivery and seem to love it so far. Curious how it will affect Model 3 sales.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yup people have taken delivery and seem to love it so far. Curious how it will affect Model 3 sales.

Like Rav4 affected Camry? Except there is not much competition right now for either of those.
But lets say Model 3 did kill Model S sales completely.

Reactions
Like Rav4 affected Camry? Except there is not much competition right now for either of those.
But lets say Model 3 did kill Model S sales completely.
I don't think Elon cares it seems...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I don't think Elon cares it seems...
Yes, S sales being half where they were at peak (pre 3), still a lucrative niche vehicle with enough volume for Tesla or any lux brand.