Tesla has "redesigned" the Model S and Model X

Reactions
They basically did the exact opposite Lexus has done for the new IS, for the Model S and Model X. They've improved everything powertrain-wise, added more vents in the front fascia, redid the dashboard electronics and added a gauge cluster in front of the driver (that sounds so weird to say). There's also a... *sigh* a yoke-style (it would be so insulting to F1 cars to call it a F1-style steering wheel) steering wheel that you see in planes...

I'll be the first to say it. The Model S and Model X have aged extremely well. However, I really expected a legitimate redesign and not a facelift. Now seeing this I wouldn't be surprised if they take a VW approach with the Type 1 Beetle and produce the Model S and Model X with this similar body style for several more years, maybe even decades.

Tesla Shows Redesigned Model S, Promises Version with 520-Mile Range
It gets a streamlined interior complete with a yoke-style steering wheel and is out this spring, but the long-range Model S Plaid+ is coming later in the year.
f839746e-0c9c-4364-942d-59c843102e02_1579205077.file

BY ROBERTO BALDWIN
JAN 27, 2021

VIEW PHOTOS
2021 tesla model s redesign
TESLA

• Tesla announced that its latest Model S and Model X will go into production in the first quarter of 2021 and will reach customers in the spring.
  • The automaker shared images of the new Model S complete with a redesigned interior that includes a screen for rear passengers.
  • The Plaid+ version of the Model S, coming later in the year, is targeting a range of 520 miles.
Update 1/27/21 10:30pm ET: While Tesla’s site has noted since the unveiling of the vehicle that the Model S Plaid will begin deliveries in March, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted out that the vehicle will be available next month (February). As of now, the delivery dates of the rest of the new lineup has stayed the same.
This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

RELATED STORIES

Porsche Taycan vs. Tesla Model S: The Test

Porsche Taycan Beats Model S in Max-Charging Test

Tesla to Halt Model X and S Production for 18 Days

In December, Tesla announced to employees working on the Model S and X lines that the company would be shutting down those production lines for 18 days. The result of that pause in production is updated Model S and Model X vehicles landing in the first quarter of 2021. Tesla shared images of the Model S when reporting quarterly results.
VIEW PHOTOS​
2021 tesla model s interior redesign

TESLA​
While the exterior has gotten a modest upgrade with more aggressive haunches and a sleeker hood, the interior has received a major overhaul to make it more streamlined. While the automaker has decided to keep the dash cluster in the Model S, the yoke-style steering wheel—which has done away with stalks altogether—does convey a sort of '80s nostalgia that’s reminiscent of K.I.T.T., the car from Knight Rider. The new Model X gets the same interior treatment.
WILD STEERING WHEELS THROUGH THE AGES​

Check Out the Coolest Factory Steering Wheel​

One nice upgrade is a tiny screen in the center console for those in the back of the vehicle. As Tesla pushes for more entertainment in its cars, it's likely that this screen will allow rear passengers to play games and watch videos while the vehicle is being driven.
VIEW PHOTOS
new tesla model s and model x

TESLA MODEL X
TESLA
Tesla says that it has updated the powertrain, battery pack, battery module, and drive units on the new vehicles. The Long Range version of the Model S is expected to be available in March with a target range of 412 miles. Meanwhile, the Plaid is targeting a 390-mile range with 1020 horsepower. Like the Long-Range model, it's expected to be available in March. At the top end, the 1100-hp Plaid+ is targeting a 520-mile range, a zero-to-60-mph time of less than two seconds, and a tri-motor powertrain. It will be available in late 2021. The new Model X is expected to go on sale in April.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
One point - as far as I know the Model S has always had a gauge cluster, it's some other Teslas that don't.

Also, it's been pointed out that the new base MSRP is the same as the Taycan's, which is interesting.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Really, a yoke-style steering wheel? What will they think of next? I can see the common driver now needing 4 lanes (instead of merely crossing over one line and just taking up 2 lanes) to make a right turn.

I have noticed that so many of the drivers who drive with only 1 hand on the wheel making WIDE right turns because they cannot swing the steering wheel around enough with only 1 hand to make a normal right turn, so they cross into that outside lane once they have made the turn.

With this yoke-style wheel, those hand-over-hand turns of the steering wheel they taught in driving school will not be possible.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Really, a yoke-style steering wheel? Yes, I'm wondering if this yoke-style wheel will actually go into production on S/X (and shifter and turn signal stalks tbd too)...

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Apparently the new Roadster also has this yoke-style wheel. If Elon's going to go full KITT I want an LED strip on the front that scans back and forth.

Will1991

Reactions
Tesla Model S Plaid+ has the most amazing spec sheet ever for a mass-production road legal sedan.

It will be really fun to watch almost everything there is (Ferrari, Mclaren, Lamborghini, ....) to once again be demolished on the dragstrip by a battery powered sedan that costs a fraction....

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Apparently, this is what Tesla was thinking of next: a read-your-mind gear selector.

The Model S and X have also done away with the steering column stalk gear selector that Tesla inherited from Mercedes-Benz.
No more stalks. Car guesses drive direction based on what obstacles it sees, context & nav map. You can override on touchscreen.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 28, 2021

Would a Tesla be able to guess when I want to back into a parking spot or my driveway?

If Tesla is really going to move more and more of these necessary functions to the touchscreen, count me out as a Tesla customer. I could foresee it being much more difficult to select the proper gear on a touchscreen, not to mention that older Tesla Model S and X have had problems with the touchscreens that failed (Nvidia Tegra 3 processor has an integrated 8GB eMMC NAND flash memory device that fails, rendering the complete infotainment screen inoperative).

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may not be happy with the yoke.

It certainly grabbed our eye, not to mention the eye of just about everyone who caught the new Tesla announcement. Our debut article was filled with reader comments ranging from the steering ratio necessary to accommodate that design, to whether or not it's even legal for a production car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
yoke is a joke, PR move.

Update looks good, they saved money with no exterior major changes. Tesla is all about cost cutting because cost of EV components is so high.

Stalk was pretty useful and ergonomic, I guess they added bunch of buttons to the steering wheel (capacitive?)? It is probably one of the cost cutting moves.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
You gotta hand it to Elon, he's a master at grabbing headlines. They managed to get the Internet abuzz on the steering yoke because the outside doesn't look any different.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah long in the tooth but an nice refresh. I think Elon realizes his fans will buy anything so it doesn’t matter. I mean look at the cyber truck lol.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I drove the S Plaid ($130K+ 1000hp+) for about 45 miles. Memorable because of the power and the outstanding sound system. The yolk and the yolk controls (horn and signals) and shifter are steps backwards, needs to be better.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I drove the S Plaid ($130K+ 1000hp+) for about 45 miles. Memorable because of the power and the outstanding sound system. The yolk and the yolk controls (horn and signals) and shifter are steps backwards, needs to be better.
They won’t be the only ones with it soon enough I bet….

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
They won’t be the only ones with it soon enough I bet….
I'm willing to bet the bread and butter volume models (3 and Y) will retain normal steering wheel and will not change anytime soon.

Yolk will likely only be expanded in usage when the following is fixed:
. Change to variable ration steering (versus fixed ratio which Elon knows is not working).
. Horn and turn signal controls improved. (rumor has it the horn fix is in progress)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder whats the hold up with variable ratio steering (I assume in house design).