Teen Crashes Dad's Lexus RC F At Mulholland Highway

Reactions
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/teen-crashes-dads-lexus-rc-f-at.html
Known as one of the best driving roads in the States, mastering Mulholland Highway in California can be quite difficult.

As a result, it consistently gets the better of drivers and bikers alike, with a seemingly never-ending number of crashes occurring along the famed stretches of tarmac. Now, Mulholland has claimed another victim.

On Wednesday, a silver 2016 Lexus RC F crashed heavily into a cliff on the side of Mullholland Highway. The impact flipped the Japanese sports car onto its side, causing significant damage to the M4 rival.

Adding salt to the wounds of the teenage driver is that the RC F isn't his, but rather his father's and was only delivered a week ago.

As if things couldn't get any worse for the driver, the RC F was damaged further after onlookers pushed it back onto its wheels. As the driver didn't engage the handbrake upon exiting, it then rolled down the road into a crash barrier, despite the frantic attempts of locals to hold it back.

ToyotaPresidentAkioToyoda.jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That pretty much sums it up. Kids and Kars on Mulholland always a bad idea.

Yes....and there's other roads like that in the country, too, especially U.S. 250 across Virginia / West Virginia's Appalachans and the Famous Tail of the Dragon Road further south across the same range in NC/TN. (that one is a hit with bikers).

Tragic Bronson, you just beat me to it. I was getting ready to post that article myself. ;)

While this event, of course is rather extreme and, unfortunately, involves the (probable) totaling of a brand-new car, I'm of the belief that every newly-licensed teen-ager is entitled to one honest mistake...and hopefully learns from it. I myself, as a teen, once had a bad experience on a slippery road after a snowstorm (and learned from it), though I was generally more sensible and careful behind the wheel than many other teens. And, of course, this is one reason why insurance is so expensive for young male unmarried teens. What we don't know from the article, though, is, whether this kid had his dad's permission to drive it (I wouldn't hold my breath), or if he just decided to take the key/fob on a whim and go out on a joyride with some friends. If the latter, he's obviously going to be in some pretty serious trouble with his dad....even more the case than if he had permission.

RAL

Reactions
I was 16 ... my Dad's car was brand new! At first he said: "NO!!!"
But later he came back and grudgingly said: "okay ..."
And YEP ... I damaged it. :eek:

There is something to be said about a father's love for his son ...

Flash-forward ...
Stefan wants to drive my new ES!
I say: "NO!!!"
But later I grudgingly say: "okay ..."
And ... ;)

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And YEP ... I damaged it. :eek:

There is something to be said about a father's love for his son ...

Flash-forward ...
Stefan wants to drive my new ES!
I say: "NO!!!"
But later I grudgingly say: "okay ..."
And ...

If the end to that story is what I think it is, I hope the damage isn't too bad...and, of course, that he's OK. ;)

Reactions: RAL

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
And YEP ... I damaged it.

Your story sounds eerily similar to mine. I wrapped my dad's BMW around a tree 3 weeks after I got my license. I've lived the motto 'all show, no go' ever since.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
I made a decision when I started the site to never feature this type of content on the front page, so thanks @Tragic Bronson for posting it up.

Words fail me.
Its hard to swallow that a brand new RCF ended up this way, in the hands of a less than capable and likely immature driver who had no business being behind the driver's seat on a road that he shouldn't have been on in the first place.

A lesson for some owners (Lexus or otherwise) who need to educate their kids on driving and what not.

Reactions
Your story sounds eerily similar to mine. I wrapped my dad's BMW around a tree 3 weeks after I got my license. I've lived the motto 'all show, no go' ever since.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/16/bmw-e92-m3-crashes-on-mulholland-road/
Mulholland Road is a fun drive, but at the same time, extremely dangerous. The curvy road around Los Angeles is often visited by enthusiasts who love to push their cars a bit too close to their limits – as highlighted by the video below. The driver of this black BMW E92 3 Series lost control of his sports coupe, hit the hillside of the road before flipping over. Luckily, the young driver walked away unharmed.

Judging by the footage below – which was filmed by bystanders – point to a failed attempt of drifting in a corner. The 3 Series Coupe comes hot out of the tight curve, the driver seems to hit the brakes and over correct the trajectory which led him to the unfortunately crash.

The car is likely to be completely totaled and hopefully this serves as a lesson for the many inexperienced drivers out there who are unable to control the ever increasing power of their cars.
Mulholland-Road-bmw-m3-crash-750x396.jpg