Lexus GS Stereo Upgrades on 2nd Gen GS...

Chops

Fan
Reactions
As I have been sitting here daydreaming about all of the different mods I want to do to this car, one I've really been focusing on is the stereo system.

When it comes to my music and audio systems (both home and car audio), I'm all about sound quality, not sound quantity. That also means I like to have plenty of clean amplifier power on tap for excellent headroom for dynamic swings, as well as more subwoofers if possible as well as larger if possible. I want my subs to be able to just loaf along, not stressing at all, likewise for the amps.

I know the stock system(s) in these older GS' came with a 10" sub in the rear deck whether it be the Pioneer or Levinson unit. I've seen people upgrade that driver to a decent aftermarket 10, or make a small adapter plate/baffle to up-size to a 12" driver. I however want to go in a different route. I'm going to keep it an infinite baffle design, but run either a pair of 12's or a more preferably, a pair of 15's.

From the pictures that I've been able to find online, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room to mount a baffle up against the back of the rear seat. There's a hump in the trunk floor right behind the seat. I'm assuming that's all part of the fuel tank, so not much that can be done about that. If I were to mount a baffle up against the back of the seat, I'm not sure I would even be able to mount a pair of 12's there. So...

Me thinks I'm going to have to go with a larger baffle that extends out near the base of the rear window with the bottom of it angled back towards the bottom of the rear seat, so the cones of the drivers face backwards into the trunk and facing down slightly towards the trunk floor (if that all makes sense). Doing it that way, I should be able to fit a pair of 15's somewhat easily as well as still maintain 90% of the trunk space.

Of course, I will use plenty of damping material on the rear deck to minimize and/or eliminate any rattles and vibrations, but the good thing about having the subs on an angled baffle this way, I can actually utilize the stock sub opening to vent all of that bass directly into the cabin of the car instead of it just getting pumped through the back seat.

Just imagine the setup similar to this, except that the drivers cones will be facing into the trunk...

feef2eb4623574925d08faaf94136aa5.jpg

Chops

Fan
Reactions
Update... Ignore the fact I was referring to a 2nd Gen GS400 and pretend I was talking about a 3rd Gen LS430, since it's the LS430 I'm going to be getting. Long story, don't ask. LOL

Chops

Fan
Reactions
Thanks! And it just so happens to be much more fitting since I'll be getting an LS430.

Reactions: RAL