Lexus GX 460 Spy Shots

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
https://www.motor1.com/news/348349/lexus-gx-spy-shots/

Q458qiu.jpg

Is this expected to be a facelift and not a full refresh?

I'm really curious to see where they go with the GX/LX.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I told y'all! @Gecko, where u at LOL? We said it both, despite the offline cynics! Interior is unfortunate, but hopefully just a mule. And I was just in ATL too for my sister's PhD ceremony.
images

There's also another camouflaged Lexus or Toyota testing behind it in one photo. Unless the Highlander, what is it?
foolishspeedyamphiuma

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
If this refresh is only about new grill and headlights, I think this should be little embarrassing for Lexus.

I would say that about any refresh. This is a ten-year old model, and a refresh means at least two more years of the same.

It’s all tied up with Toyota, the 4Runner/Land Cruiser have to get next generation models before we’ll see a new Lexus SUV.

And I was just in ATL too for my sister's PhD ceremony.

You were in ATL and didn’t visit @Gecko?!?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I would say that about any refresh. This is a ten-year old model, and a refresh means at least two more years of the same.

It’s all tied up with Toyota, the 4Runner/Land Cruiser have to get next generation models before we’ll see a new Lexus SUV.

I think it's more about TNGA than Toyota, specifically. It seems like what happened with the TNGA unibody applications will also happen for SUVs: Everything was fairly outdated, then in a span of two years we got Camry, Avalon, Corolla, Corolla hatch, ES, RX, Highlander, etc.

The BOF lineup is woefully outdated but between 2020 and 2022, we'll have Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, 4Runner, GX, LX, Tacoma and a few global models I can't think of.

"Hurry up and wait," comes to mind.

P.S. I have heard the next gen 4Runner family could consist of several models - four door, open top, possibly even two door/open top. We will see.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Too bad that GX nor LX ever made it to Europe with an imaginary plug-in hybrid drivetrain. Would have been awesome!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The Toyota USA Newsroom's 2020 Sequoia TRD Pro news release and some commentary from CarsDirect offer some bits of information on the 2020 4Runner refresh which, in turn, offers up hints on its fraternal Lexus twin, the GX.

While the 2020 4Runner's newly standard 8-inch touchscreen, Amazon Alexa compatibility and push-button start are already part of the current Lexus GX's suite of standard features, other 2020 4Runner upgrades that should make their way to the 2020 GX include a couple of extra rear USB ports, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility and, most importantly, the long-overdue adaptation of Lexus Safety System+ (be it "regular" or 2.0) functionality.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
When we went for UX training this past November, we asked the trainers if this was the last new model introduction for a while and they told us that probably the next time we would have to come in would be for the 2021 GX. So I'm assuming that the 2020 will be a slight facelift with an all new model to follow the next year.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
When we went for UX training this past November, we asked the trainers if this was the last new model introduction for a while and they told us that probably the next time we would have to come in would be for the 2021 GX. So I'm assuming that the 2020 will be a slight facelift with an all new model to follow the next year.
Color me skeptical. Going by what Carmaker1 has posted here in the past, new generations of IS, NX and LX, plus the new LQ crossover are all due for a model year 2021 debut. The second refresh that the current GX and Toyota 4Runner are slated to receive this fall (2020 model year) is supposed to tide them over until all-new TNGA-F successors arrive for the 2023 model year.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota will want to get at least 2 years out of a refresh, so I think 2022 as a 2023MY is the earliest we'll see an all-new GX.

RAL

Reactions
Fine wine takes time ... but 13 years before a redesign? I hope the refresh involves more than just new headlights and steering wheel.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

I think 2021 as a 2022 model year is absolute earliest we'll see a new GX -- like @Gecko said, a 2022 release is much more likely.

Fine wine takes time ... but 13 years before a redesign? I hope the refresh involves more than just new headlights and steering wheel.

I'm not writing this GX update off until I see it, but the RX refresh better be much more substantial than this.

Reactions
While the 2020 4Runner's newly standard 8-inch touchscreen, Amazon Alexa compatibility and push-button start are already part of the current Lexus GX's suite of standard features, other 2020 4Runner upgrades that should make their way to the 2020 GX include a couple of extra rear USB ports, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility and, most importantly, the long-overdue adaptation of Lexus Safety System+ (be it "regular" or 2.0) functionality.

if I had to guess it will just be the Lexus Safety System +. Given the GX doesn't have electric power steering, It will most likely be the same system the LX has. LDA, PCS , DRCC and Intelligent High Beams. I would be really surprised if it had Apple carplay or android auto but some rear usb ports are way over due and expected.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not writing this GX update off until I see it, but the RX refresh better be much more substantial than this.

Then I am afraid that you will be disappointed... ;)
Do you feel that the RX needs a bigger change than the traditional small bits of redesigned head- and taillights + bumperdetails?
Imho, the RX doesn't need a big update as it is only up to a facelift for the first time, whereas the GX deserves a complete new model design after its first facelift and the +10 years age... so a bit difficult to compare.